Author Topic: NELSON/NEILSON & MURPHY RUTHERGLEN SCOTLAND  (Read 2343 times)

Offline Daniel Ryan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: NELSON/NEILSON & MURPHY RUTHERGLEN SCOTLAND
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 14 October 17 23:00 BST (UK) »
OK Louise, Denise is my wife's niece, lovely girl. What do you know about the Nelson,Attwood,Mcgregor & Semple ancestry? You still haven't said if you are in the UK. My son is in the UK with his family - more relations of yours I suppose. Regards Dan Ryan

Offline paul_mc

• RootsChat Senior
  • Scottish Guy researching his roots....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 08 April 21 11:27 BST (UK) »
Hi All

I feel like I am going crazy as I have spent a month on this brick wall and can not get past it.

Can someone please cast an expert eye over it if they have the time.

I've posted once before about this and didn't get any Joy but hopefully someone now will be able to help.

Here's what I have

John Nelson married Catherine Murphy at the catholic chapel in Rutherglen on the 20th of May 1865. He was 22 and she was 21. They were both living at 8 Westmuir Place, Rutherglen

His parents were listed as Thomas Neilson (spelling error?) and Mary Mc ? (I cant read the surname) - From his death cert in 1901 (Cambuslang) they are confirmed to be Thomas Nelson and Mary McCowie.

Her parents are listed on the marriage as Bernard Murphy and Catherine Murphy ms Murphy. On her death cert (11 aug 1912 Hamilton Poorhouse) her parents are listed as John Murphy and Mary Mathieson. (Both deceased) When I check her known brothers and sisters birth and death the parents are John Murphy and Mary Mathieson - So why the blatant mistake on the marriage?Or were names just not really that important back then as they are now.

I can not find a marriage or death for Thomas Nelson and/or Mary McCowie.

I cant find anything on John Murphy or Mary Mathieson - I have a note scribbled about a wedding in 1849 in Rutherglen but nothing to back this up -

Please help!!

Thanks in advance

Paul

McCARROLL, MCCARDLE, COX, STRACHAN, CALDWELL, RAMAGE, WOOD, JOHNSTON

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 08 April 21 11:48 BST (UK) »
For the avoidance of duplication of effort, the previous thread is -

Threads merged.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline paul_mc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 08 April 21 18:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Forfarian

Thanks for merging - There's been no work done on this so far so actually it was a new post.

Paul

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 08 April 21 19:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Forfarian

Thanks for merging - There's been no work done on this so far so actually it was a new post.

Paul
Oh, I didn't do the merging - I am not a Moderator so I don't have the facilities to do so.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline paul_mc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 08 April 21 19:24 BST (UK) »
Will anyone actually see my new post do you know  ?

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 08 April 21 19:41 BST (UK) »
Everyone who ever saw your original post will be notified, and everyone who looks at the Lanarkshire forum will see it.

There are two reasons for not starting new threads with the same questions.

First, RootsChatters are helpful but all volunteers, and it's a bit vexing when you've spent a while looking for a particular answer only to find that other people have already done the same things in response to an earlier thread.

Second, if you start a new thread then people who would have been notified of an addition to the original thread won't be, and they may not see it.