Author Topic: What does WF MC in baptism margin mean?  (Read 1151 times)

Offline bluesofa

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
What does WF MC in baptism margin mean?
« on: Sunday 12 February 17 14:58 GMT (UK) »
Many, but not all, of the baptism records in the parish of St, Michael, Coventry have WFMC in the margin. For example, Arthur Bott baptised 3 Nov 1876, page 144, record no. 1150. 

Sometimes the letters are split over two lines WF/MC (as in the above example), other times the letters are in a single line without any gaps (e.g. Alfred Bott, baptised 30 Aug 1878, page 219, record no 1752).

My deciphering skills are not great, so I've attached a small sample in case I have misread the letters.

Does anyone know what the margin note means?

Other baptism records have P in the margin, which presumably refers to a private baptism, and others have no margin notes.

Many thanks for any help.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What does WF MC in baptism margin mean?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 February 17 15:11 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I don't really know but I have several Scottish baptisms where the two witnesses were elders of the church who were paid for their services.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 February 17 16:37 GMT (UK) »
Could it be M/F as in Male/Female - probably not if both letters are on there  :-\

MC the name of the Church or the initials of the person doing the baptising. 

WF could be With Fee but sorry I don't know for sure. 
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 February 17 16:43 GMT (UK) »
I wondered if WE might be the initials of the MC Minister Conducting the service

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 February 17 17:44 GMT (UK) »
It's most likely to be an abbreviation for the name of a chapel of ease or mission chapel in the parish. The baptisms would have been performed there but recorded in the register of the mother church.

See here for some ideas?
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/warks/vol8/pp361-367

There was a mission chapel in Whitefriars Lane. How about White Friars Mission Chapel?

Just a suggestion. Someone who knows Coventry well might do better than that.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 12 February 17 18:03 GMT (UK) »
A better link ...
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/warks/vol8/pp321-361

"ST. MICHAEL, Coventry, and its Chapels ...
... In 1861 the National school in Red Lane, then in a detached part of St. Michael's parish, was licensed as a mission chapel. (fn. 734) The building seems to have been partly converted at the vicar's expense into a place of worship which was known as St. Mary's Church and served from St. Michael's. (fn. 735) Services there were apparently discontinued in the late 1860s or early 1870s, probably after the opening of St. Mark's Church in 1869. (fn. 736) A second mission chapl,e in Whitefriars Lane, also known as St. Mary's and formerly a Baptist chapel, was bought and licensed for worship in 1869. (fn. 737) A chancel was added to the building about 1884 and it was thoroughly restored, to the design of H. Quick, in 1888. (fn. 738) It was used for services by the congregation from Christ Church from 1941 to 1955 (fn. 739) and was then lent for two years to Holy Trinity parish council. It was finally sold in 1958 (fn. 740) and has subsequently been demolished."

Offline bluesofa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 12 February 17 22:08 GMT (UK) »
It does seem likely the margin notes refer to WhiteFriars Mission Chapel.

Of those I can check with a modern map, those baptised with the WFMC margin note have addresses in the vicinity of Whitefriars Lane.  It also fits with the family I'm looking at.  Children baptised from 1870 have the WFMC note, but not those baptised before.

Many thanks for the responses.  I wouldn't have thought of the suggestions without your help.