Author Topic: Does anyone know the occupation please?  (Read 5720 times)

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone know the occupation please?
« Reply #18 on: Friday 17 February 17 17:08 GMT (UK) »
As for the Can-Can (a personal favourite), that is a long-distant memory... ;D
;D ;D I used to dance the Charleston with my mother who was ace at it  :D
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Christianmpoulsen

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 24 February 18 13:12 GMT (UK) »
Lincolnshire...QEGS, Horncastle.  We did English and Scottish country dancing...lots of fun.  I fear the poor old knees would not tolerate that now; I have difficulty some (cold, damp) evenings doing a slow waltz let alone The Dashing White Sergeant or the Highland Fling.  As for the Can-Can (a personal favourite), that is a long-distant memory... ;D
That’s quite a conincidence, I went to QEGS in Horncastle as well, in the 1980’s! We didn’t do any country dancing that I can recall 😂
Robson (NBL ENGLAND); Armstrong (NBL ENGLAND);Richardson (NBL ENGLAND); Money (NFK & NBL ENGLAND); Gibson (NBL ENGLAND);
Swoish/Swash (NFK ENGLAND);Reed (NBL ENGLAND);
Watson (NBL ENGLAND); Church (NFK ENGLAND); Trobe/Trollop (NBL ENGLAND); Lowes (NBL ENGLAND);
Sherwood (NBL ENGLAND); Harrison (NBL ENGLAND)

Offline pityackafromblyth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 24 February 18 13:50 GMT (UK) »
Christianmpoulsen, In your original post you mention Bigges Main, and also Blucher.  Both these were collieries in Northumberland.  Bigges Main was somewhere in the Wallsend area, and Blucher was at Throckley.  If you search for the 'Durham Mining Museum' you will find information re all the collieries in Durham and Northumberland.
The photograph shows the rappers.  I believe that there was also a group of them at Earsdon in Northumberland.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 24 February 18 14:16 GMT (UK) »
Christianmpoulsen, In your original post you mention Bigges Main, and also Blucher.  Both these were collieries in Northumberland.  Bigges Main was somewhere in the Wallsend area, and Blucher was at Throckley.  If you search for the 'Durham Mining Museum' you will find information re all the collieries in Durham and Northumberland.
The photograph shows the rappers.  I believe that there was also a group of them at Earsdon in Northumberland.
Thank you, yes, many of my ancestors were miners at both Bigges Main and Blucher. I’ve visited the Durham Mining Museum site. I received the photograph handed down the family, from the line with an ancestor who lived and worked at Blucher. I initially didn’t know anything about Rapper Sword Dancing and didn’t know what this photo depicted.
I have since learnt what it is and it’s relation to each mine having their own ‘teams’ in the North-East. I believe that this team matches the description of the Blucher Pit teams outfit (each mine had their own specific outfit and they competed with each other). This would fit the fact it was handed down from someone who worked at Blucher Pit. What I don’t know, and doubt I will find out, is if Thomas Armstrong b1871 d1910 was in their team, and is in this photo. (Or indeed his father Henry Armstrong b1826 d1896).
It seems likely, as to have the photo and pass it down to children, grandchildren and so on, it would seem likely he was in it, rather than just being mates or whatever.
Robson (NBL ENGLAND); Armstrong (NBL ENGLAND);Richardson (NBL ENGLAND); Money (NFK & NBL ENGLAND); Gibson (NBL ENGLAND);
Watson (NBL ENGLAND); Church (NFK ENGLAND); Trobe/Trollop (NBL ENGLAND); Lowes (NBL ENGLAND);

Offline pityackafromblyth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 24 February 18 16:05 GMT (UK) »
Glad to be of help,Christianmpoulsen, just keep digging here on Roots, and the web, and you will probably find what you want eventually.  I did.  Best of luck. :)

Online lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 24 February 18 16:15 GMT (UK) »
Oh, Christian, you young thing you!  I went to QEGS 1955 to 1960...we used to have country dancing club after school, although we did do some dancing in regular school I think.  I have a feeling that none of my teachers would be there while you were...except perhaps Miss Wilkes (PE mistress...and a real meanie.  No time off from hockey in the snow - instead, someone would be despatched to the pavilion to collect a cricket ball so we could see it!).  She ran the club - I think!
Cravens of Wakefield, Alnwick, Banchory-Ternan
Houghtons and Harrises of Melbourne, Derbyshire
Taylors of Chadderton/Oldham, Lancashire
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 24 February 18 16:19 GMT (UK) »
Oh, Christian, you young thing you!  I went to QEGS 1955 to 1960...we used to have country dancing club after school, although we did do some dancing in regular school I think.  I have a feeling that none of my teachers would be there while you were...except perhaps Miss Wilkes (PE mistress...and a real meanie.  No time off from hockey in the snow - instead, someone would be despatched to the pavilion to collect a cricket ball so we could see it!).  She ran the club - I think!
Yes, Miss Wilkes was still there. Were Mr and Mrs Hewerd not there in your day?

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 24 February 18 16:39 GMT (UK) »
Something else I've learned on rootschat  ;)

Me too...fascinating.....it's like "Look and Learn" on here  ;D ;D ;D

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Online lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 25 February 18 09:31 GMT (UK) »
Christian:  No, I don't think so.  Although, in the very last term, a new Maths teacher came in - he was extremely handsome and I think his wife was going to start teaching the following school year.  We all fell madly in love with him of course - being 15 and 16 (I left to go to Lincoln Tech after 'o' levels).  I seem to remember his wife having some sort of permanent problem with one of her legs, resulting in a heavy limp - is this couple the Herewerds maybe?
Cravens of Wakefield, Alnwick, Banchory-Ternan
Houghtons and Harrises of Melbourne, Derbyshire
Taylors of Chadderton/Oldham, Lancashire
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee