Author Topic: Does anyone know the occupation please?  (Read 5706 times)

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone know the occupation please?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 13 February 17 12:01 GMT (UK) »
The thing with Rapper swords is that they have one handle which twists to allow greater movement and the main body of the sword needs to be flexible as the dancers bend them into some ridiculous shapes. These days it is made with a very strong, flexible steel. Longsword is a bit less "bendy" by nature.

Looking at the slightly larger photograph, the swords do appear to have Rapper type handles. I'd go with Rapper rather than Longsword.

Our local side is hosting the annual Rapper sword dancing competition this year - Kendal will be awash with people in strange clothes and wielding bendy steel!
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 13 February 17 12:05 GMT (UK) »
Excellent!! I think you're right. Thank you so much. One step closer to finding who it might be in the photograph!

Try asking the Sword Dance Union - someone might know exactly who it is and besides, they would probably like to see the photograph.

http://www.sworddanceunion.org.uk/

:)

SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 13 February 17 12:57 GMT (UK) »
Something else I've learned on rootschat  ;)
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Christianmpoulsen

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 14 February 17 18:33 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, I've got in touch with someone from the Sword Dance union. It's been really fun and interesting learning about this, I'd never heard of it 2 days ago!
Robson (NBL ENGLAND); Armstrong (NBL ENGLAND);Richardson (NBL ENGLAND); Money (NFK & NBL ENGLAND); Gibson (NBL ENGLAND);
Swoish/Swash (NFK ENGLAND);Reed (NBL ENGLAND);
Watson (NBL ENGLAND); Church (NFK ENGLAND); Trobe/Trollop (NBL ENGLAND); Lowes (NBL ENGLAND);
Sherwood (NBL ENGLAND); Harrison (NBL ENGLAND)

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 14 February 17 19:02 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, I've got in touch with someone from the Sword Dance union. It's been really fun and interesting learning about this, I'd never heard of it 2 days ago!

That's great. I hope they were helpful and can help with identifying your photograph. :)

Offline AlisdairGB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 16 February 17 08:37 GMT (UK) »
Just to add ... the English Folk Dance and Song Society ( EFDSS ) uses longswords as their emblem, but the do cover rapper dances.

Try them via www.efdss.org

( Happy memories of North Yorkshire when I was younger ... my first hangover came after a meet in (I think ) Castleton. I was about 13 !! ) 
Daniel: Scarborough
Malyon: Essex, London
Bell: Northumberland
Gibbs: Northumberland, Co Durham, North Yorks
Appleyard: Bridlington, Scarborough
Barton: Nottingham, Sheffield
Bunn, Sanderson, Gray, Hindmarsh, Tron , Tait and others - wife's family , Durham and Northumberland

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 17 February 17 16:03 GMT (UK) »
I remember doing this dance in school in about 1955 - I belonged to the Country Dancing Club.  Everything went well as we learned the dance and rehearsed it time and again.  I was the one who had to hold the whole darned thing up at the end.  Came the show with all the parents there (including my mum). someone didn't get the 'weave' quite right and, halfway off the stage the whole thing came clattering down round my ears...how embarrassing :-[ :-[
Cravens of Wakefield, Alnwick, Banchory-Ternan
Houghtons and Harrises of Melbourne, Derbyshire
Taylors of Chadderton/Oldham, Lancashire
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 17 February 17 16:05 GMT (UK) »
 ;D ;D ;D but what fun that must have been. Where was that? Didn't do it country dancing in the Middlesex suburbs  ;)
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 17 February 17 17:03 GMT (UK) »
Lincolnshire...QEGS, Horncastle.  We did English and Scottish country dancing...lots of fun.  I fear the poor old knees would not tolerate that now; I have difficulty some (cold, damp) evenings doing a slow waltz let alone The Dashing White Sergeant or the Highland Fling.  As for the Can-Can (a personal favourite), that is a long-distant memory... ;D
Cravens of Wakefield, Alnwick, Banchory-Ternan
Houghtons and Harrises of Melbourne, Derbyshire
Taylors of Chadderton/Oldham, Lancashire
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee