Author Topic: 1840 Mystery - Joseph DARLING and siblings  (Read 2844 times)

Offline familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
1840 Mystery - Joseph DARLING and siblings
« on: Sunday 12 February 17 15:55 GMT (UK) »
I am intrigued by a newspaper article I came across by chance on FindMyPast.  The newspaper is the Warwick & Warwickshire Advertiser and Leamington Gazette and the article appeared in October 1840.  The surname is my family name.  The forenames given are family names.  But I have never come across any family link to Kettering or Warwick or anywhere in that vicinity.  Is the mystery family group connected in some way with mine?  What's the story behind the childhood separation?  If I'm really lucky it will have been passed down as family folklore and a descendant will be reading this post.

"A person of the name of Joseph DARLING, son of Ambrose and Sarah Darling, and brother of Mary, William and George Darling, then living at Ridge, near Mims, is now about 74, 75 or 76 years of age, if living.  He was in early childhood parted from his brother William and sister Mary, and after many years' absence all four met again in London.  At that time Joseph was driving the Kettering Fly Waggon.  It was about 50 years ago;  and from that time they have lost sight of each other.  Joseph may find his sister Mary by applying at the Advertiser office, Warwick, and all reasonable expenses will be paid.  He must give and remember their first parting.  An early inquiry must be made, as she is in a very ill state of health, and in the 80th year of her age."

My first question has to be where is Ridge, near Mims?  It would presumably have meant something to readers of the Warwickshire newspaper the article appeared in. 

Now my genealogy questions:

From the newspaper appeal we know that Mary was born around 1760 or 1761 and the missing Joseph about 5 years later.  Ambrose DARLING married Sarah BISSELL in 1761 at Warwick (IGI) - likely parents.  There is an A*y image of this marriage but I've not seen it.  If the siblings were listed in birth order (and they may not have been), then William was born after Mary, and George after William, but it's not clear where Joseph fits in.  On the IGI I've found a pair of 1770 baps, same day, of J&G to Amb & Sarah at Stamford Baron in NTH.  User-submitted.  There are images on A*y but again I've not seen them.  Stamford Baron is now part of Stamford in modern-day LIN.  A Kettering Road leaves the town - coincidence?

The appeal implies that as children, Mary stayed with William and Joseph with George.  The two younger ones kept together as were the two older ones?  The 1770 baps might have been around the time the family was separated.  I wonder what happened and who brought the children up.  Although plenty of Williams and Marys, some with father Ambrose and some with mother Sarah, I've not been able to find baps with parents Ambrose AND Sarah Darling anywhere online.  I have an Ambrose having children in the 1750s and 1760s but his wife was Mary.  His father was William and his paternal grandfather John and they lived and died in BRK/OXF.

If the London meeting was for a marriage, then it presumably wasn't Mary's, as she would likely have been able to give an exact year of the meeting.  A Joseph Darling (and it may not have been this one) married Betty Wilby at Marylebone in 1792, again the image is on A*y but I've not seen it so don't know who the witnesses were.  There are other potential London matches for both George and William.

It's a reasonable assumption (I think) that Mary probably didn't survive long after the newspaper appeal and that she probably died in the Warwick area (since that's where replies were to be sent) but as we don't know her surname it makes tracking down her burial a bit of a challenge.

So to all you armchair detectives out there - suggestions please!

Jane :-)
ALLEN
BARR, BARRATT, BERRY, BRADLEY,BRAMLEY,BRISTOW,BROWN,BUGBIRD,BUTLER
CAIN,CARR,CHAPMAN,CHARLES,CH*LTON,CHESTER,COCKETT
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
DARLING, DENYER,DICKERSON,DOLLING,DURBAN
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
HALL,HAMBIDGE,HARMES,HART,HICKS,HILL,HOLLOWAY
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
MCDONALD,MCFADEN,MEARS,MILLARD
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL
WADE,WAGER,WALKER,WATSON,WEBB,WITHRINGTON,WOOD

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: 1840 Mystery - Joseph DARLING and siblings
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 February 17 16:05 GMT (UK) »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ridge,_Hertfordshire

Ridge is surrounded by countryside with numerous public footpaths. In 1926, the parish boundary between Ridge, Hertfordshire, and South Mimms, Middlesex, was subject to a minor adjustment
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Latest bud on my family tree
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 February 17 16:21 GMT (UK) »
There's is a death Reg in Huntingtonshire st.Ives Union Dec qtr 1840 Joseph Darling aged 81.

Jennifer
Stevens /Godfrey /Rudgley /Claridge/ Gipson /George /Bliss
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Latest bud on my family tree
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 February 17 16:29 GMT (UK) »
There is a Simon Darling 77 and wife Mary probably nee East on 1841 census St Ives marriage 1806 Milton Earnest Bedford.

Jennifer
Stevens /Godfrey /Rudgley /Claridge/ Gipson /George /Bliss
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 February 17 16:30 GMT (UK) »
Is this your Joseph  :-\
Joseph Darling
Father Ambross Darling mother Sarah
Baptised    20 Feb 1770 - Stamford Baron, Northamptonshire

ADDED also a George baptised 20 Mar 1769

Sorry I hadn't read that far down your post  ;D
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 12 February 17 16:41 GMT (UK) »
Ambrose Darling, of the parish of Tarbigg married Sarah Bissell [transcribed as Bipell as the old style double s has been used] of this parish [Warwick St Mary] 6 Jan 1761. Witnesses John Sabin and  ?  Asplin

Online Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 12 February 17 16:48 GMT (UK) »
The 1792 marriage doesn't help much. Both are listed as of this parish. Both apparently sign. witnesses Thos Bin and John Nicholls [made mark]

Offline familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 12 February 17 17:56 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Rosie99.  I'd wondered about South Mimms but hadn't heard of Ridge, given their close proximity I think you've identified the place the siblings spent their early years.  There are bap records for Ridge on the IGI but no sign of this family.

The Joseph & George baps you've noted are the same ones I've found, but I presume you've looked at A*y and seen the image(s).  On the IGI they were both bap same day.  Is the 1769 date George's birth date or is there a transcription error on the IGI?

This family certainly moved around a bit, can anyone think of anything that might link the various places they've popped up?

ALLEN
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
MCDONALD,MCFADEN,MEARS,MILLARD
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL
WADE,WAGER,WALKER,WATSON,WEBB,WITHRINGTON,WOOD

Offline familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 12 February 17 17:57 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Mabel Bagshawe.  Next question has to be where is Tarbigg?

The witness names don't ring any bells and I can find nothing to suggest that BIN or NICHOLLS might have been Mary's husband.  If you're enjoying the challenge, could you check on A*y if George Darling's 1790 Paddington marriage to Mary Pollard has any promising witnesses?  Likewise William Darling's 1795 marriage to Eleanor Peck?

ALLEN
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON