Author Topic: Shipping - can you name this port?  (Read 2867 times)

Offline jcmac

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Shipping - can you name this port?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 12 February 17 23:42 GMT (UK) »
I have just tried my access to the British Newspaper Archive for the period 1.1.1843 - 31.12.1845 but had no success for Waterville.
Bbk - I have used the NLS,Edinburgh for the Lloyds List etc but not for this enquiry. I am compiling lists for my next London trip so would probably give the NLS a miss just now.

The information I have is from a visit to Kew in 2013 and notes my wife took from BT112 and if I feel like going back (pre 1844) in the BT98 series I have ships such as this as back-up searches.
This is what my wife recorded:
S  1  725                              S  36  353 ?                       S  62  1842                   
21 1 43                                 24 12 43                            17 11 45 
Princess Royal                        Waterville                            Uraguay
At this moment in time I am only tracing basic infomation to identify the Waterville.
jcmac.

Offline Birkbeck

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 12 February 17 23:53 GMT (UK) »
I am going to be at the Guildhall Library myself in the next couple of weeks and don't mind checking something out for you. Do you have a particular interest in the Waterville?

Offline jcmac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 13 February 17 00:43 GMT (UK) »
Bbk,
I am trying to tie a John M(a)cArthur from Argyleshire, whose BT112/BT120 records provided the various ships, to a specific birth Parish. I have ship names from 1836 - 1853 (several with popular names) with two CL&A (1836-Resolution and 1838-Renown) recording Argyle.
I had hoped Waterville might be easier to identify !!!!
He is only ever noted as S (Sailor/Seaman) so I wouldn't expect him to appear in any of the Lloyds records.
Thank you for your offer but please do not use up your time at the Guildhall as I will follow up any leads at Kew when next down - if I can avoid ports like Glasgow, Liverpool or London !!
jcmac.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 13 February 17 09:11 GMT (UK) »
BNA.

The Waterville is mentioned several times in early 1843 until -
"Gravesend, April 10 - Sailed ...... Waterville, for Barbados"

No further sighting until 16 Sep -
"INSURRECTION AT ST. DOMINGO
....... the Waterville was to sail on 3rd August, for Falmouth, and she may well bring more detailed accounts"

Next sighting 7th October -
"VESSELS SPOKEN WITH
The Waltry Isle (query Waterville, from St. Domingo, the 21st ult (ie. September), in lat.? long.? ....")

She then begins to appear more regularly in shipping reports

Offline Guyana

• RootsChat Member
  • How far back do you want to go?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 13 February 17 12:36 GMT (UK) »
The first ting that comes to my mind is Grimsby. Possible?
CORDEN - N.Staffs/N.Warwicks
MORGAN - Tamworth/Notts
HIGGS - N. Warwicks
DEEMING - N.Warwicks
LEWIS - N.Warwicks

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 13 February 17 12:41 GMT (UK) »
I'm not sure that "Grlstne" is Gorleston. I've seen it written many, many times on documents through the 1800's and it rarely has an 'e' on the end. I'm not saying it is never written Gorlestone, but 'ton' is the usual ending.

Perhaps because (at least in the part of the world I grew up in) it would normally be pronounced with short 'stun' at the end, not a longer 'stone'.

If you had to shorten the name to 7 characters to get it to fit in the column then why would you add an 'e' which isn't normally there? The contraction "Gorlstn" would make more sense, being quite an accurate representation of the way it is pronounced, and also avoiding confusion with places starting with 'Garl..'

A second issue, though on the basis of my impressions not factual evidence, is the nature of trade at Yarmouth/Gorleston. I've always understood Yarmouth to be primarily a fishing port and for goods to and from the area served by the waterways in the area including Norwich. E.g. coastal trade of coal from the North-East and agricultural products to London.

From the examples given the Waterville sounds like it was involved in far more exotic trade than Gorleston generally saw. So whilst it isn't impossibe, would it really make sense to pick a home port for a ship which was on the East Coast of England and predominantly engaged in different activities?

Just some thoughts, not necessarily facts!

Offline jcmac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 13 February 17 12:46 GMT (UK) »
HT,
Thank you once again - I tried BNA search under:  ship "Waterville"     and   shipping "Waterville"
and I don't recollect any obvious relevant hits 1843-1845 !!!
Just tried under    Waterville     only from 1843-1846 and have 106 hits !!! - with many under shipping so now about to read results.
Many thanks,
jcmac.

Offline jcmac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 13 February 17 16:48 GMT (UK) »
Guyana and Nick,
Sorry for delay - I checked BNA hits from 25.1.1843-1.12.1845 then went to visit friend in hospital.
Nick has covered a point I was troubled with - the "e" at the end of Grlstne - but I assumed it was just a variation. I also agree about the east coast trade and Yarmouth connection and with your logic.

HT listed 3 extracts - I found 1 and 2 but not 3.

I noted an entry for 2.10.1844. Cove of Cork. The Waterville, Mills of Sun-.....and from Buenos Ayres for Falmouth.....
The Sun- was the end of the line with the start of next line blurred and the name ending in "and".
Maybe Sunderland ? but may not help !!

I have entries for 8.10.1843 (from Aux Cayes at Falmouth) and 27.12.1843 (from Antwerp at Liverpool) so I will see if I can pick out more relevant details.
jcmac.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 13 February 17 18:06 GMT (UK) »
I have just tried my access to the British Newspaper Archive for the period 1.1.1843 - 31.12.1845 but had no success for Waterville.

I was very surprised to read this, having found so many myself before posting the "Wigton" reference. Good to hear you hit on the right search key.