Author Topic: O'Brien in New York c1900  (Read 697 times)

Offline Jackiemh

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
O'Brien in New York c1900
« on: Monday 13 February 17 01:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello
I am trying to find out more about the family of William O'Brien bc1900 probably New York. He ended up in Australia, marrying in Woollongong in 1927 and died in NSW.
It is believed that his parents were Patrick o'Brien and Annie Johnson (both Irish).
Patrick may have been an electrical contractor.
Any help would be really appreciated.
Jackie
Bateman, Baylis, Bellotti, Boag, Bower (Stillgebauer), Cattermole, Chester, Dullage, Felix, French, Fursse, Garrett, Gilbert, Harding, Haynes, Hazelwood, Plume, Putland, Rudge, Strickson, Vine, Warren, Whitehead, Whitehorn, Wiltshire, Youthed and many more

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: O'Brien in New York c1900
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 February 17 08:18 GMT (UK) »
There's a lot more information about William here: http://boards.ancestry.co.uk/surnames.obrien/1378/mb.ashx

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 February 17 20:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello
I am trying to find out more about the family of William O'Brien bc1900 probably New York. He ended up in Australia, marrying in Woollongong in 1927 and died in NSW.
It is believed that his parents were Patrick o'Brien and Annie Johnson (both Irish).
Patrick may have been an electrical contractor.
Any help would be really appreciated.
Jackie
You could check for a Civil Record for Annie Johnson on www.irishgenealogy.ie  There are 49 births showing between 1868/1870.  Do you have a marriage for Patrick & Annie as it may show her fathers name

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 February 17 20:46 GMT (UK) »
There's a lot more information about William here: http://boards.ancestry.co.uk/surnames.obrien/1378/mb.ashx

I think the family mentioned on the census records on that post is different than the information about a birthdate of 15 Apr. 1900 and the mother named Annie Johnson.  This seems to be the birth record for the William who was born Feb. 1900 per the 1900 census - https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2WWX-JCW

Offline Jackiemh

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 February 17 01:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello
Thank you for taking the time to look at this query.
I am looking at the O'Brien family for a friend (we swapped our brick walls in the hope that fresh eyes
could find something) so I am afraid that I don't know the marriage date of Patrick O'Brien and Annie Johnson.
The links posted were to messages put on ancestry's message boards by my friend so it seems that we might be going around in a circle.
I am looking at the dates of immigration for Patrick and Annie, so hopefully I may find something there.
Jackie
Bateman, Baylis, Bellotti, Boag, Bower (Stillgebauer), Cattermole, Chester, Dullage, Felix, French, Fursse, Garrett, Gilbert, Harding, Haynes, Hazelwood, Plume, Putland, Rudge, Strickson, Vine, Warren, Whitehead, Whitehorn, Wiltshire, Youthed and many more

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 February 17 07:31 GMT (UK) »
The links posted were to messages put on ancestry's message boards by my friend so it seems that we might be going around in a circle.

Not at all. The links were posted so that others could see the additional information given in those earlier threads.

There's a possible marriage in Morgan, Illinois on 23 April 1885:  Patrick O'Brien and Annie Johnson. EDIT - it's not the right family. He was a farmer and did not have a son William born circa 1900.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 February 17 11:58 GMT (UK) »
There a US WW1 draft registration card ( September 1918) for Walter John O'Brien born 15 April 1900. Father Patrick O'Brien. They lived in St Law, Potsdam, St Lawrence County, New York state.

The signature has some similarities to a 1944 Merchant Navy record for William O'Brien born Toronto  on 15 April 1900:

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 14 February 17 12:04 GMT (UK) »
Hmm - Walter's mother was Julia and his father was a farmer. Back to square one ?

Offline Jackiemh

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 16 February 17 23:43 GMT (UK) »
Maybe I am trying to find a needle in a haystack.
Thank you for your input.
Jackie