Author Topic: Looking for Georgina's parents  (Read 2584 times)

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
Looking for Georgina's parents
« on: Monday 13 February 17 06:31 GMT (UK) »
Here's hoping someone can help solve this mystery

Georgina Mabel Claire Church - b. 7 Oct 1903 South Africa not sure where
                                             d.30 Aug 1982 Pietermarizburg

married  15 Apr 1926 Pietermaritzburg (have a copy of the cert) by special license to

Frederik Maher b 3 Dec 1895 London England
                      d 23 Oct 1953 South Africa

Marrige cert gives her occupation as "Domestic" Newmarket farm East Griqualand where Frederik's occupation is given as being a farmer of the same farm.  No clues as to parents on marriage cert.

We think she may have had a War pension and she may have remarried  a Sturn, not certain of the spelling. Have tried various options of "Church" in case the name was Anglicized, so far a brick wall...

No Estate File appears for her on Naairs (of course it wouldn't be that easy!!!)

Any help greatly appreciated....
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Georgina's parents
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 February 17 08:03 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if she could be a sister/relative of a Muriel Mary Margaret Church b 1904 South Africa who married in Canada in 1926 https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JD82-XM5   Unusual use of three christian names.    :-\

She is listed on 5 Jun 1925 as arriving in Quebec from Liverpool England as a children's nurse.   She was traveling to her aunt Mrs Harry Waterhouse in Victoria British Columbia.   Her father is listed as Mr Church 111 Victoria Road, Woodstock South Africa

On  19 Jan 1925 she arrived at Southampton  from Durban South Africa  listed as a nurse with destination Salt Hill House, Slough

This looks like the fathers death https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q2QM-JMQ1
Kay

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 February 17 09:20 GMT (UK) »
I found this on Rootsweb.
Does anyone have any info on a Farm called Newmarket in East Griqualand. It was a Hotel and racecourse owned by my Great great Grandfather Charles Albert Taylor, who was a pioneer of East Griqualand, he was a well known breeder of racehorses and a jockey, his son was the well known jockey Stanley Ballantyne Taylor. Newmarket was leased in 1922.

Any info on the farm, racecourse or family would be greatly appreciated.

Appears Georgina worked in the hotel.
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 February 17 09:35 GMT (UK) »

Thanks pampoen, but I had seen that. Didn't give us any information on Georgina though. The only reason we had the Newmarket connection was from Georgina's marriage cert.

Kay I had a look at the Probate record for Jacob De Villiers Church and there is no mention of either Georgina or Muriel amongst the children listed on the Death Notice, but it may be a relative, as you say the 3 Christian names is unusual. 

My cousin and I have been at this for weeks now and our brains are fried ;D ;D  She is going to ask the living relatives about Muriel, maybe it is a link.
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 February 17 07:44 GMT (UK) »

Taking another look at the Death Notice for Jacob, I can find baptism's for only two of the children mentioned on the DN, but there are baptism's for two other children not mentioned on the DN. (using Family Search) They  give the same parents so I am assuming they must be connected.

I was looking for the births of the children to see if Muriel or Georgina could possibly have been left off the DN for some reason. But in doing that a conflict in birth date arises in that there is a baptism for a child Leonard born 1903 April, which if correct would exclude Jacob as a parent for Georgina :-\

This woman is like a ghost, there seems to be no record of her before her marriage to Frederik.

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 February 17 08:12 GMT (UK) »
I found this on Ancestry.
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 February 17 08:21 GMT (UK) »
Strange that Muriel wasn't mentioned in her fathers probate unless there are two with the same name??? Muriel's burial also mentions her father  https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FLL8-PFX   

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 14 February 17 09:20 GMT (UK) »

It is strange as the Death Notice says that the information was given by his daughter Florence, who by the way was left everything to the exclusion of the other children.

Can't find two Jacobs with the same spouse though.  The fact that a child was born the same year as Georgina would seem to exclude him as a parent. I wonder how sure the family are of her birth date considering how little they know about her.

I think that photo may be from my cousin's tree on Ancestry...

Offline GStry

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 10 May 18 16:08 BST (UK) »
I found this on Rootsweb.
Does anyone have any info on a Farm called Newmarket in East Griqualand. It was a Hotel and racecourse owned by my Great great Grandfather Charles Albert Taylor, who was a pioneer of East Griqualand, he was a well known breeder of racehorses and a jockey, his son was the well known jockey Stanley Ballantyne Taylor. Newmarket was leased in 1922.

Any info on the farm, racecourse or family would be greatly appreciated.

Appears Georgina worked in the hotel.

Hi Pampoen
What is it you would like to know about Newmarket ?  Charles Taylor was my Great Grandfather, so we are related of course. I have quite a lot of info and photos of of the Taylors and family.
You can email me directly at umdloti@iafrica.com or reply here.
I will also be going out to the farm in the near future and could share some pics then and now with you.
Regards Geoff Strydom