Author Topic: Why did Charles Frost change his surname ?  (Read 4964 times)

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Why did Charles Frost change his surname ?
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 19 February 17 21:21 GMT (UK) »
Sue, if it helps at all, the surname index for the 1793 marriage has Charles' abode as Shrewsbury, Shropshire/Salop.
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson

Offline scault

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 20 February 17 06:15 GMT (UK) »
Ta
I will see if i can check it out
Although this charles ault isn't my direct line, his information has been priceless to me.
When you are told by an elderly aunt at a very young age our surname changed, and as an adult trying to find out why they sometimes just used ault. Then on other census they swap anand add in the frost surname, well I just have needed to find out. With all you all searching for me you have made me so happy now, and I can stop thinking bad things about my charles frost the nephew,

sue  :-*  ;D  :D  ;)

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 20 February 17 11:53 GMT (UK) »
There's a Charles Ault of Shewsbury Shropshire that married in Leighton Buzzard by licence on 18 Mar 1793 to Elizabeth Bates, they baptised daughter Elizabeth there, abode Heath&Reach, on 9 Jan 1797.
This Charles Ault of Sand House, Leighton Buzzard gave surety on the marriage allegation for John Tompkins, widower to Ann Butcher, widow, both of Heath&Reach, on 3 Apr 1804.

This info was given out earlier in the thread
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 15:29 GMT (UK) »
I've been thinking more about this family, since Susan posted about them on a FB group:

- Mary Frost, Charles' mother, was buried in Brailsford on 11 Nov 1810 aged 54, wife of Henry. Henry Frost aged 60 was buried in Brailsford just days earlier on 2 Nov 1810 aged 60. So Charles was orphaned at age 10. Could he have been taken in by his uncle Charles Ault in Leighton Buzzard? I think it's quite possible.

- So if my hypothesis is correct, at the time of his uncle's death in Sept 1812 Charles Frost was already living in Leighton Buzzard, and probably took a job locally. I don't think he necessarily would have worked for whoever ran the Old Peacock Inn after Charles Ault's death.

- Charles Frost was baptised on 27 Oct 1800 at Brailsford Derbyshire, so was obviously born prior to this date. His uncle left him £100 in his will to be paid when Charles reached the age of 21 i.e. probably shortly before 27 Oct 1821. He married on 12 Oct 1821, probably immediately he reached the age of 21. His first two children baptised in Beds in 1822 and 1824 were in the name of Frost. The family then moved down to London, where a number of children were baptised in the name of Ault, from 1827 onwards. In 1827 Charles was a labourer, in 1837 a milkman, in 1841 a cab driver (Ault), in 1851 a labourer (Ault), and posthumously in 1858 a cabman/cab proprietor. His death and burial in 1854 were both recorded as Frost. The first record using the surname Ault was in 1827, so it doesn't look as though the inheritance received in 1821 was a factor in him changing his surname.

So I think we've established that his uncle lived in Leighton Buzzard, which is why he was living there, but there's no clue as to why he should have changed his name from Frost to Ault.

David
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline scault

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 23 February 17 12:55 GMT (UK) »
Thank you David
strangely Charles Frost was buried at St Marys church, Paddington Green Paddington. My secondary School in the early 1970s was just across the road. I had to pass the cemetery to get to school and this was before the new flyover was built and some of the buried were taken to Mill hill cemetery and placed in a plot with a memorial. I never knew he was there and maybe even Margret but then I was too young and wasn't even thinking about family history.

thank You all

Sue

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 23 February 17 14:04 GMT (UK) »
David, Sue,....  There's another Canterbury Will available on Ancestry; this one's for Elizabeth Ault, otherwise Holt, wife of Charles Ault of Leighton Buzzard, who was buried at Potsgrove on 11 Feb 1807. It was dated 7th Feb 1807 although it was not proved until 10 Feb 1825 ? why so?

She was the Elizabeth Bates who married Charles Ault in 1793 although the marriage register doesn't say she's a widow; this will mentions that she's the widow of Thomas Bates.
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 23 February 17 14:56 GMT (UK) »
The very brief will names beneficiaries son John Bates £200 and daughter Mary Bates £200, her children by her late husband Thomas Bates, at age 21. The executor was her husband Charles but the probate states "Administration/with the will annexed granted to John Stopp and James Clarke the executors of the will of Charles Ault deceased, whilst living the lawful husband and executor, who survived but died without having proved the said will. No residuary legatee." So it seems that both of the Bates children had died without issue. Odd that she didn't mention her daughter Elizabeth.
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline scault

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 25 February 17 21:08 GMT (UK) »
Last post honest
How can I find out what killed poor old Henry frost and mary in 1810 and uncle charles did dies early as well. HMMMMMMMMM  what diseases were around at this time.

sue