Author Topic: Mary Elizabeth Booty born 1853 Ixworth.  (Read 1103 times)

Offline hookleg

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary Elizabeth Booty born 1853 Ixworth.
« on: Monday 13 February 17 12:51 GMT (UK) »
Mary married Frederick Edwards Jannings, a steam plough operator, in 1880. They both show up on the 1881 census as living in the High Street, Ixworth. After that I can find no reference to Mrs Mary Jannings, but I have a feeling she may have died before 1891 as her husband appears on the 1891 census as single and the 1901 census as a widower, both times in Mustow Street Bury St Edmunds.
Please can anyone find the death dates of Mary and Frederick. Unlikely, but did Frederick possibly remarry after 1901?
Burt, Cockrill, Craske, Debenham, Double, Grimwade, Grimwood, Hilder, Mayhew, Ray. All from  West Suffolk around the Bury St. Edmunds area.
Simpson, Pittendreigh, Arthur.   Aberdeenshire

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Elizabeth Booty born 1853 Ixworth.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 February 17 14:07 GMT (UK) »
1891 Census Mary JAUNINGS, born c 1854 Ixworth, Suffolk, is a Servant in Kensington, London.
She says she is Single, image appears to be Jannings to me.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline hookleg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 February 17 19:14 GMT (UK) »
That's very interesting Trish as Frederick Jannings in the 1891 Census is shown as single. Could there have been a divorce?? 1901 census has Frederick as a widower. Still can't find a burial date for either. Thanks for that snippet. Dates seem to suggest your hunch is right.
Burt, Cockrill, Craske, Debenham, Double, Grimwade, Grimwood, Hilder, Mayhew, Ray. All from  West Suffolk around the Bury St. Edmunds area.

Offline hookleg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 February 17 19:27 GMT (UK) »
If anyone can help with a newspaper article 7 Apr 1885. I think he may have assaulted his wife to an extent that she left him. Key phrase Frederick Edward (NOT Edwards although that is his correct middle name from mothers surname) Jannings. Bury and Norwich Post.

Online emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 February 17 19:53 GMT (UK) »
The assault made other papers as well. He got a custodial sentence and she got a judicial separation.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 February 17 19:55 GMT (UK) »
Frederick is still there later census ..have you checked out this death Frederick E Jennings birth year 1860 ..Death March 1923 age 63 Stow Suffolk

Rosie

Offline hookleg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 February 17 21:41 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that very helpful information emeltom. He seems to have been a nasty piece of work. I could only access a very short piece of the headline. No wonder the 1891 census had them both as single, I wondered what happened. I could get no info about deaths of either of them from my subscription site. Thanks also to rosie17 for finding Frederick's death. I notice it has been mis-transcribed as Jennings. Perhaps I should have checked under that name as it is much more common, but in this instance actually incorrect.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 15 February 17 11:39 GMT (UK) »
Yes I agree that is a likely Death Reg for him.

Maybe Mary remarried under her maiden name.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 15 February 17 13:34 GMT (UK) »
A synopsis -  Thetford & Watton Times and People's Weekly Journal. April 11, 1885

Petty Sessions - Frederick Edward Jannings of Ixworth a machinist was charged with violently assaulting his wife Mary Elizabeth on 2 April by giving her two black eyes and knocking her downstairs,  He pleaded guilty.   The complainant said he abused her several times over the time they had been married and she wished a judicial separation.   He had squandered all her money and she was without home or food

Bench considered it aggravated assault.   He was given 3 months hard labour and on completion of the time ordered to pay his wife 5 shillings a week, granting a judicial separation