Author Topic: Car Terminus, Townhill, Dunfermline 1923  (Read 869 times)

Offline pwl1951

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Car Terminus, Townhill, Dunfermline 1923
« on: Monday 13 February 17 17:08 GMT (UK) »
I have a marriage certificate where the groom gave his usual residence as Car Terminus, Townhill, Dunfermline in 1923.
Why would someone be living there? Was it something to do with the railways although he was a coal miner at this time?
McIntyre/Fraser/McLachlan/Lister/Ferguson/Murray/Muir/Blackwood/Hutchison/Cochrane/Craig/Calderwood/McIntosh/Collie/Dott

Offline Henry7

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Car Terminus, Townhill, Dunfermline 1923
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 February 17 13:59 GMT (UK) »
Presumably this means the tramcar terminus, which was in Main Street, Townhill.  But this was simply the last tram-stop, in the middle of the street, without any garage or terminus buildings nearby.  Very strange!
Ballingall, Donaldson, Fulton, Gillespie, Ramsay, Walker - in Fife.
Bury - in Salford & Liverpool.
Jack - in Glasgow, Dunfermline & Dundee.
Bermingham/Birmingham - in Cork.
Eagle - in Norfolk, Edinburgh & Glasgow.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 February 17 14:17 GMT (UK) »
Just a thought...

Could the name be something like Carden 'Terrace' & misheard as Car Terminus?

I haven't looked for 'Terrace' names i.e. Carden was an example  ;)

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline pwl1951

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 February 17 16:07 GMT (UK) »
I have had another look at the marriage certificate and enlarged it. Definitely states Car Terminus. Words are separated and start with capital C and capital T. Perhaps it was easier to state this address than the one he was living in. Still strange though.
McIntyre/Fraser/McLachlan/Lister/Ferguson/Murray/Muir/Blackwood/Hutchison/Cochrane/Craig/Calderwood/McIntosh/Collie/Dott

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 February 17 02:12 GMT (UK) »
If you post his details, it's possible he may be on the Valuation Rolls?

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 February 17 02:20 GMT (UK) »
I have had another look at the marriage certificate and enlarged it. Definitely states Car Terminus. Words are separated and start with capital C and capital T. Perhaps it was easier to state this address than the one he was living in. Still strange though.

What I was thinking was, it may have been an actual street name beginning with a 'C' & then Terrace but whoever wrote it down may have heard it wrongly as Car Terminal?

There is such a place as Carden Avenue in that end of Fife (in this era) but whether or not back then there was such a Terrace or similar in name, I don't know?

He may have had a sense of humour & possibly no fixed abode so used Car Terminal?

Annie

Offline pwl1951

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 15 February 17 16:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that. My initial thoughts were "no fixed abode", but after chatting to his youngest grand-daughter, she told me that her mother had pointed out the house he lived in when she was young.
I had a look at the valuation rolls and it looks like he lived in Main Street, Townhill. Could be one of two addresses though.  2 or 4 Main Street.

Details: William Paterson marriage to Isabella McLuckie on 23 March 1923 at 20 Blairhall Village, Culross, Fife. His father was John Paterson (or Patterson on some certificates).