Author Topic: Boyce Family, Ballydugan, Tullylish, Co Down  (Read 2138 times)

Offline killiekithnkin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Boyce Family, Ballydugan, Tullylish, Co Down
« on: Monday 13 February 17 18:15 GMT (UK) »
I’m interested in the Boyce family of Ballydugan (or Ballydougan), County Down. John Boyce (1815-1897), son of John Boyce and Mary McCormick, was my Gt Gt Grandfather. He married Sarah Ann Forsyth (1820-1902), daughter of William Forsyth and Isabella Harvey, from Dromore, Co Down in Gilford, Co Down on 18th Nov 1844.
John and Sarah moved to Ayrshire, Scotland and lived their lives there in Girvan, Troon, Saltcoats and Ardrossan, having 11 known children along the way between 1843 and 1862. Among them was my Gt Grandmother, Mary Boyce (1846-1915), who married James Welsh in Glasgow in 1877.
A poor relief application made late in life in Ardrossan by John Boyce indicates he was from the parish of Ballydongan, Co Down, Ireland. However, I am sure the reference should be to Ballydugan, close to both Gilford and Dromore.
Trying to get some verification of the marriages of John Boyce/Mary McCormick and John Boyce/Sarah Ann Forsyth, and to establish if John Boyce and Mary McCormick had any other offspring.

Happy to share info and appreciative of any help. (David in Aberdeen, Scotland)
McMillan Kilmarnock then Glasgow (possibly earlier Mullen)
Johnston Kilmarnock
Wallace Tyrie Paton Kilmarnock
Wilson Stranraer
Bennett London Brighton Glasgow
Welsh Ayrshire Ardrossan Saltcoats West Kilbride
Boyce, Co Down, Girvan, Ardrossan, Saltcoats
Fleck West Kilbride, Stevenson, Ardrossan, Saltcoats
Sellwood, Gloucestershire, then London
Shortland, Gloucestershire area, later London
Hook, Gloucestershire, then London
Coulter, Girvan then Glasgow
Kirkland, Coylton, St Quivox Kirkmichael

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Boyce Family, Ballydugan, Tullylish, Co Down
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 19:35 GMT (UK) »
you have seen the entries under Tullylish in the Boyce name list inc Boys in http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies/SURNAMES/B/BouBoy.htm

have you seen the six ?entries for for Boyce in Tullylish in the Tithes Applotment Books 1823-1837 in the relevant original books are in the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (PRONI) . On the Belfast forum genealogy board you have just missed a volunteer lookerupper , see Jaykim http://www.belfastforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,68312.0.html who goes regularly, you would need to pay him for photocopies but the information is normally half aline which sometimes helps identying the land in Griffiths valuation if still retained by family members and therefor his note might be sufficient  for you if you cant travel yourself

you probably have seen the 1796 lists of flax growers http://www.failteromhat.com/flax/down.php  which is nil for Boyce in co Down

and your must know of PRONI many other databases

Good luck
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline killiekithnkin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 February 17 09:22 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all most relevant and interesting. Missed that last lookup opportunity, but have now registered in Belfast Forum and hope to catch next time.

Cheers, David
McMillan Kilmarnock then Glasgow (possibly earlier Mullen)
Johnston Kilmarnock
Wallace Tyrie Paton Kilmarnock
Wilson Stranraer
Bennett London Brighton Glasgow
Welsh Ayrshire Ardrossan Saltcoats West Kilbride
Boyce, Co Down, Girvan, Ardrossan, Saltcoats
Fleck West Kilbride, Stevenson, Ardrossan, Saltcoats
Sellwood, Gloucestershire, then London
Shortland, Gloucestershire area, later London
Hook, Gloucestershire, then London
Coulter, Girvan then Glasgow
Kirkland, Coylton, St Quivox Kirkmichael

Offline RosemaryJoan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 13:17 GMT (UK) »
Here is a list of all  the Boyce leaseholders in the Parish of Tullylish in Griffiths Valuation in 1863-64
John
Boyce                Alexander            Ballydugan                              Tullylish     Down
Boyce                David                Ballydugan                              Tullylish     Down
Boyce                James                Ballydugan                              Tullylish     Down
Boyce                John                 Ballydugan                              Tullylish     Down
Boyce                John                 Ballynagarrick, Upper                   Tullylish     Down
Boyce                Joseph               Ballydugan                              Tullylish     Down
Boyce                Nathaniel            Ballydugan                              Tullylish     Down
Boyce                Robert               Ballydugan                              Tullylish     Down
Boyce                Samuel               Ballydugan                              Tullylish     Down
Boyce                Thomas               Ballydugan                              Tullylish     Down
Boyce                William              Ballydugan                              Tullylish 

RosemaryJoan
Cully, Bannister, McConnell, Wallace (Co. Armagh)  Anderson, Ross (Co. Antrim), Gray, Truesdale (Co. Down)
McCormick (Killyleagh and finally Belfast)

Offline RosemaryJoan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 15:22 GMT (UK) »
Are you absolutely sure that John Boyce's father was John?
look at this marriage

Name   Hugh Boyce
Birth Date   1826
Age   25
Spouse's Name   Mary Jane Mccormick
Spouse's Birth Date   1830
Spouse's Age   21
Event Date   06 Dec 1851
Event Place   Newtownards, Down, Ire
Father's Name   John Boyce
Spouse's Father's Name   James Mccormick
Citing this Record
Cully, Bannister, McConnell, Wallace (Co. Armagh)  Anderson, Ross (Co. Antrim), Gray, Truesdale (Co. Down)

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 17:01 GMT (UK) »
I came across a treeholder jennifer  who has a John Boyce b1815 Ballydongan, Down on Genes Reunited which I think you have to join to ask permission of the treeholder to see their tree.  However I did asearch for mary jane McCormick with different spellings but found no match, so David hoping this is not you in disguise

Joans Griffiths list led me http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/ to look for more details
looking at John Boyce in Griffiths there are 6 entries for John Boyce in Ballydugan, Tullylish here they are by map reference
1 map ref 51 his is 51b , a David Boyce has 51a, whose name is on both ie he is older than  John , 52a is William Boyce and he leases 52 b
2  map ref 75a John Boyce b is James Boyce John is the older
3 James at map ref 75 a sub lease?
4 John Boyce map ref 77
5 map ref 79 John Boyce has 7 acres and house v £3 ten shillingspa the highest value on the page except forWm Boyce at 78 a at £4pa
6 ballynagarrick upper map ref 21

I dint look up the map supplied, but that is fun then you can alter the image to current pick up the nearest roads, stop go to moderngoogle find thet road and rough spot of where relatives livedm magnify go into satellite magnify click on the orad most likely spot and then asee street scenes along the bottom of your screen I normally click on the first one  and then by clicking the image of the road scene real of a couple of years ago, go up and down the road looking left and right and just sometimes the older buildings could be where you family lived, or be the site of the demolished blg etc

my assumptions there appears to be as many Boyce in the townland as there are Dines who are much bigger and wealthier, so a younger son might feel no future for him, I also imagine there are  two john boyce a father and son, and another possibly.  There might be too many Boyce fin the community and hence John migrates. Or as in my family history I found I could trace relatives revisingting where they had come from ie Wigtownshire, so that’s another avenue.

familysearch.org produced what Joan found so could it be the folklore getting it wrong etc. I woild want o quiz Jennifer above before jumping to conclusions
ie the Hugh Boyce rather than John
so that’s all I can offer, good luck
worldwide

Offline RosemaryJoan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 17:28 GMT (UK) »
Have a look at this 1901 census return folks!!
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Down/Tullylish/Ballydugan/1243596/

RosemaryJoan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 17:36 GMT (UK) »
Wow!   interesting the oldest person that has come infront of me and 'Sort of Old boy' gets to me.A self description.   Apologies for dropping off Rosemary infront of Joan, a great reply for killiekithnkin well done.
worldwide

Offline RosemaryJoan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 18:18 GMT (UK) »
I forgive you.  I try to stay anonymous.  By the way, my step grandfather came from Ballydugan.  Hence the interest.
RosemaryJoan