Author Topic: Is this my ancestor?  (Read 665 times)

Offline Tom Langley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Is this my ancestor?
« on: Monday 13 February 17 18:20 GMT (UK) »
Im researching the Bowler family in Staffordshire, and have traced them back to Josiah and Anne Bowler, who were having children in Alton, Staffordshire between 1736 and 1744.

On most trees researching this family they give Josiahs parents as Nathaniel Bowler and Hannah Whilton of Alton, Staffs, despite there being no baptism to prove this. I have no idea how this connection came about.

I found a baptism of a Hannah Bowler to a Josiah and Anne in Tissington, Derbyshire in 1733, and a baptism of a Josiah Bowler in Tissington in 1709 to Richard and Margaret Bowler.

Can anyone advise me on how i could track Josiah from Tissington to Alton (if this is in fact the case), or perhaps have a look as well?

Hope someone can help!
Tom
Langley, Broughton, Taylor, Broad, Cooper, Owen, Bennion, Yorke, Knox, Norcup, Holland, Brookes, White, Davies, Huntbach, Bowler, Barnett.

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Is this my ancestor?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 February 17 20:53 GMT (UK) »
Have you checked out the wills on FindMyPast (from Lichfield wills)?
I see there is one for Nathaniel Bowler, Alton, 1731, and one for Thomas Bowler, Tissington 1740. Not one of your names from Tissington, but he may have been related. Sorry, don't have a sub at the moment or would have checked them out.
Surely if Josiah was NAthaniel's son he would be mentioned in his will?
They may give you some clues.

I see Tissington is only about 13 miles from Alton, despite one being in Derbyshire and the other in Staffordshire, so perfectly feasible they moved around.
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline Tom Langley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 February 17 21:29 GMT (UK) »
I have seen Nathaniel's and it doesnt mention the names of his children. I shall have a look into the Tissington wills though.

I have realised the Nathaniel was of the same village as Josiah and his children were, so that may be why hes assumed the father
Langley, Broughton, Taylor, Broad, Cooper, Owen, Bennion, Yorke, Knox, Norcup, Holland, Brookes, White, Davies, Huntbach, Bowler, Barnett.

Offline Tom Langley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 February 17 21:43 GMT (UK) »
Also ive just spotted your comment on a thread about the Bretts of Bickley saying your brother lives in Cholmondeley. I actually live in Bickley. Small world.

Im a Brett descendant which is how i came across it