Author Topic: Edward Douglas LANDELLS - his Maori wife Isabella  (Read 4081 times)

Offline westernwombat

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edward Douglas LANDELLS - his Maori wife Isabella
« on: Tuesday 14 February 17 10:44 GMT (UK) »
My distant relative* Edward Douglas LANDELLS moved to New Zealand after the death of his second wife in Adelaide, South Australia, and married a Maori lady.
I may have her given name (forenames) and Last Names incorrectly divided -
Isabella Te Korowhiti + Last names  Te Rangi Tuataka

* 1st cousin 4 times removed

Is this the correct naming?

I have her birth year as 1853, at Matapihi, Tauranga, New Zealand. She died in 1920 at Okauia, Matamata, New Zealand.

Their children were (Last Name, LANDELLS) - born between 1871 and 1894, all in the Bay of Plenty region.

Edward Te Rangi
           Margaret Ngahuia
           Mary Ann Erena
           Adam Haaka
           Sarah Jane Tangataware
           James Te Whare
           Isabella Parerawhiti
           Thomas Gavin Te Kohiwi
           Ann Te Kaue
           William George Tangata
           Grace Hinehotua Adelaide
           Hannah Kiritapu Te Pae
           Joseph Hikawharawhara

However, because Edward LANDELLS' mother  Margaret DOUGLAS (1813-1849) and a younger sibling (William George Burns) died at sea not long after the start of the emigration of the large family from England to Adelaide, South Australia, in 1849, later in life several of the LANDELLS children from that time adopted the last name DOUGLAS, in honour of their mother.
I'm not sure whether that last name has applied to any of the above, in official records.

I would be grateful of clarification.

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Douglas LANDELLS - his Maori wife Isabella
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 February 17 22:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The New Zealand Society of Genealogists (NZSG) New Zealand Marriages CD, records the marriage as >

Isabella TE KAROWHITI  - Edward DOUGLAS -- Year:  1874

[Note :   Surnames in capital letters ]

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 February 17 22:37 GMT (UK) »
.... NZBDM (online) also has "TE KAROWHITI" as surname of Isabella.

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 February 17 22:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi again

There are numerous "trees" for Edward DOUGLAS (LANDELLS) and his wife Isabella, available at ancestry.com.     

Might be worth your while making contact with these other researchers who can explain their "findings" or direct you to resources ?
[Incidentally, most of the "trees" showed the name "Te Korowhiti Te Rangi Tuataka" (or variants) for Isabella. ]

~ Lu

Offline westernwombat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 February 17 00:26 GMT (UK) »
In my confusion with families, I have given incorrect information in my initial post: that this was Edward Douglas LANDELLS third marriage, after the death of his wife in Adelaide.

That is wrong. It was his father Adam LANDELLS (1813-1863) whose first wife was Margaret Douglas (1813-1849) - she died at sea on emigration from London to Adelaide. Adam and Margaret married in Scotland in 1832; Adam subsequently married in Adelaide in 1850; his wife Elizabeth Ann DIBBS died in 1877; and in 1883 Adam visited his son Edward in Tauranga, and died of a heart attack after a short time.

Offline westernwombat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 February 17 00:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi again

There are numerous "trees" for Edward DOUGLAS (LANDELLS) and his wife Isabella, available at ancestry.com.     

Might be worth your while making contact with these other researchers who can explain their "findings" or direct you to resources ?
[Incidentally, most of the "trees" showed the name "Te Korowhiti Te Rangi Tuataka" (or variants) for Isabella. ]

~ Lu

I haven't check Ancestry.com, @Lu, but will do that. Is "Te Korowhiti Te Rangi Tuataka" the last name these Ancestry trees use?

The "trees" I have seen at MyHeritage are many, managed by people in NZ and AU, and all using the forenames and last names that I gave in my initial post. Some of the ones I have seen are extremely confused, but I suspect they all derive from one person's researches and grab information from that. I have been sceptical.

Offline ChrisHuriwai

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 24 September 17 01:36 BST (UK) »
Hi there!

I know this thread is over 6 months old, but thought I would reply.

Edward and his wife Isabella are my Great Grand Parents. Their son Wiremu (William) is my mother's father.

You have his wife's name right, Te Korowhiti Tuataka. The naming convention with many early Maori families was to take the name of your father as your surname, as surnames were unknown to Maori before European settlement of New Zealand.

Isabella's father was Te Rangi Tuataka (although 3 separate words, its equivalnet to one first name). So she took a part of his name as her surname.

Edward's and Isabella's descendants are large in number, with our family base being located at Tangata Marae, near the small township of Matamata.

Offline westernwombat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 26 September 17 03:33 BST (UK) »
Hello Chris
Thank you for explaining the conventions, especially the 3 separate parts of a firstname. That makes it much more clear for me.
My maternal grandmother was a Landells, the direct connection going back to William Burns, the brother of Adam b. 14 Jan 1813.

Offline niaC2381

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 06 May 20 00:50 BST (UK) »
Kia Ora Koutou,

I too am a descendant of Edward and Te Korowhiti, they are my great great great grandparents, although some of you are correct my research shows that Edwards wife's full name was Te Korowhiti Tuataka, she did not have the Isobella in her name legally, that was a name given to her by Edward because he could not pronounce her Māori name correctly, I would like to ask if anyone has any info on Edward joining the Royal Navy though as I cannot seem to find his name on any of the records, or on any info on him being in the 3rd Waikato regiment either, if anyone can shed some light or point me in the right direction I would very much appreciate it.