Author Topic: 1911  (Read 5507 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: 1911
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 15 February 17 16:56 GMT (UK) »
It's not good that when Indexing their info. that they have 1 household over 2 pages costing double the price.
No, it's not.

How hard would it be to scan them together & upload as 1 page  ???
Very hard indeed, I imagine.

Especially as they are pages 32 (right-hand page) and 33 (left-hand page overleaf) on this occasion.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 15 February 17 17:19 GMT (UK) »
stuck with a girl born in 1848.
I have her parents  Duncan and Philip /s but she has a middle name of Burns, I just can`t find a link with Burns. 

If you want to provide all the info. you have then maybe we can have a look to help you?

Or, depending on the query it may be an idea to open a new thread with their names & dates in the 'Subject' box.

People find a lot of info. & connections on RC by googling names which show up on RC queries but people also search through the separate areas of their interest on RC which narrows things down.

Forfarian you added while I was still typing.....

I am no computer whizz (although pretty good for what I need) but I'm capable of putting info. from 2 (or more) different pages together onto 1 page whether left/right or upside down as I can rotate things too.

I have some old long certs. which are too big for my scanner & have had to scan them 1 half then the other, then crop them & match them together as 1 page before printing off so I'm pretty sure with the techy buffs the process would be simple to them with up-to-date technology unlike the old but reliable system I use  ;D

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 15 February 17 18:10 GMT (UK) »
Forfarian you added while I was still typing.....
I am no computer whizz (although pretty good for what I need) but I'm capable of putting info. from 2 (or more) different pages together onto 1 page whether left/right or upside down as I can rotate things too.
I have some old long certs. which are too big for my scanner & have had to scan them 1 half then the other, then crop them & match them together as 1 page before printing off so I'm pretty sure with the techy buffs the process would be simple to them with up-to-date technology unlike the old but reliable system I use  ;D
Oh, I am sure it is technically feasible, but if you only do it occasionally, I think it would be easy to underestimate the difficulty of doing it many times over.

It would require every operator to read both pages to see if an entry runs on from one page to the next, then do the scans, then marry them up, resize etc. This would take several times longer than just turn page, position scanner, scan, then move on to the next page.

If a scan has 2 pages on it rather than just 1, it will make the writing much smaller, perhaps making it harder to read the rest of the page.

I think the answer to this, if SP were willing, would be for them to allow you to view both pages for one payment. If necessary, by applying to SP for a free copy of the second page once you have paid for the first page. This would be much easier, and probably far quicker, than trying to manipulate and join together separate scans of different pages.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 15 February 17 19:05 GMT (UK) »
I see your point Forfarian.

I was thinking of the cost being doubled i.e. my thought was along the lines of how they add RCE's whereby the 2nd page of a census entry could be opened for free like as you say, having already paid for page 1  :-\

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 15 February 17 19:24 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much , how on earth did you manage that.

If you really want to find out who the other person in the household was, although it will be time consuming...

Just go back to 1911, Fife & Cowdenbeath, leaving all else blank & scroll through them until you find the matching page entry (thanks to Forfarian) of 410/1 5/ 33 which will give you the person's name, age & sex  ;D

The above may be worth your trouble as you may find a name which connects in your tree!

Annie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 15 February 17 19:47 GMT (UK) »
Here's your mystery person;

BELL JAMES
Aged 22
410/1 5/ 33
Cowdenbeath

Annie

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 15 February 17 20:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, so far he doesn`t ring any  ;D

Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 15 February 17 21:03 GMT (UK) »
stuck with a girl born in 1848.
I have her parents  Duncan and Philip /s but she has a middle name of Burns, I just can`t find a link with Burns. 

If you want to provide all the info. you have then maybe we can have a look to help you?
Annie

OK, I have done this but some of it is old ground. The best of it all is the the lady I`m helping was born a Smith and is the daughter of JBDK  Holms who married  a  SMITH

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 15 February 17 21:04 GMT (UK) »