Author Topic: Protestant/Catholic insight please  (Read 4417 times)

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Protestant/Catholic insight please
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 14 February 17 21:19 GMT (UK) »
Seems from what I've read that Belfast was pretty unsettled in the early 1800s. Big riot in 1829 when somebody tried to ban the Orange Parade, so they must have been having those parades for quite a while.

But I do take your point  :)

Since the parade commemorates a battle in 1690 which was won by the Protestant side it probably had been going on for a while.

There was a lot going on in that period that people felt strongly about.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Catholic_Relief_Act_1829

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 14 February 17 21:54 GMT (UK) »
Okay, they migrated from around Lisburn (Derryaghy) to Belfast  :)

Thank you for the link, I hadn't found that yet. I'll have a read this evening.

Cheers,
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Moore/Addison~New Brunswick
Jubb/Kerr~Mirfield~Halifax~Moffatt
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 15 February 17 06:14 GMT (UK) »
Because the law mandated that they should convert. The Catholic Church being an illegal organization until 1828, with lingering disabilities until 1920.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 15 February 17 10:48 GMT (UK) »
Because the law mandated that they should convert. The Catholic Church being an illegal organization until 1828, with lingering disabilities until 1920.

The Roman Catholic Relief Act 1829, passed by Parliament in 1829, was the culmination of the process of Catholic Emancipation throughout Britain. In Ireland it repealed the Test Act 1672 and the remaining Penal Laws which had been in force since the passing of the Disenfranchising Act of the Irish Parliament of 1728.

This removed many of the remaining substantial restrictions on Roman Catholics throughout the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland. However, at the same time the minimum property qualification for voters was increased seriously reducing the number of those entitled to vote, although after 1832 the threshold was again lowered in successive Reform Acts.

The major beneficiaries were the Roman Catholic middle classes, who could now enter careers in the higher civil service and in the judiciary.  Lower class Catholics took far longer to catch up.

During the famine a phrase evolved "he didn't take the soup" referring to people who converted to get food from food kitchens.

Later because of conversions to Protestantism the Catholic Church and a growing trend of mixed marriages, they brought in Ne Temere.  This decree was issued under Pope Pius X, 10 August 1907, and took effect on Easter 19 April 1908. A priest then could refuse to perform mixed marriages between Roman Catholics and non-Roman Catholics, he could impose conditions such as an obligation for any children to be baptised and brought up as Catholics, and for the non-Catholic partners to submit to religious education with the aim of converting them to Catholicism.

You can see in some 1901 census returns where the family are shown as both religions and the sons the as the father and the daughters the same as the mother!
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 15 February 17 17:22 GMT (UK) »
Okay, I just had a look at the penal laws, thank you very much! It must have been a tough life for a Catholic, imagine having to convert for food. I imagine many of those "conversions" were lip service.

I have another question...I found the Converts Rolls, and there is only one Dargon, 1793 in County Carlow. That's quite a way from Lisburn/Belfast. Do you suppose this could be the right family?

Okay, yet another question  :) The roll register says Tulla, County Carlow. The handwriting is beautiful and very clear. But there's a Tullow, Carlow, and also a Tulla, Cty Clare. Both are pretty far from Belfast. Which one would it be, I wonder?

Thank you all for your help.

Cheers,
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 15 February 17 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Aaaand another question  :) There's a Patrick Durgan, from Bonlak or Boulak. Actually I think the name is Duigan. But I'm not finding anything like Bonlak. Any ideas?

Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 15 February 17 18:14 GMT (UK) »
It's in the Tipperary section so somewhere in Tipperary appears to be near or in Clonmel
http://census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/cq/IRE_CATHQUALCONV_007604281_00532.pdf

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 15 February 17 18:38 GMT (UK) »
Oh, hadn't noticed that, thanks. Well it's even farther. I guess we'll never know.

Thank you all for your help.

Cheers,
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull