Author Topic: ROBSON, Ann b.abt 1827 Ryton  (Read 487 times)

Offline odessa

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
ROBSON, Ann b.abt 1827 Ryton
« on: Tuesday 14 February 17 19:00 GMT (UK) »
I'm hoping for some advice please. I usually research in Cheshire, so I am not very familiar with your area and registration districts. Ann Robson(single woman, sometimes enumerated as a widow) b.abt 1827(Ryton or Greenside) was last seen on the 1901CR at 48 John Street, Gosforth, she then lived with one of her sons Thomas Robson aged 38. By 1911 Thomas is living at the same address, but has now married. Since Ann Robson doesn't appear to be on the 1911CR at all, I was expecting to find a death registration 1901-1911 in the Castle Ward - would this be correct if she died at her last known address? If she was buried in this area would All Saints, Gosforth or St Nicholas, Gosforth be a likely burial place, or was there a municipal cemetery available at this time?

There are quite a few Ann Robson's registered with in this time frame, so I am just hoping to narrow down the odds a little before having to decide to look for a church record or pay for several death certificates from other registration districts.

odessa.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ROBSON, Ann b.abt 1827 Ryton
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 February 17 22:09 GMT (UK) »
If she died at that address then the registration would be in Castle Ward.
http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/districts/castle%20ward.html

The only death registration of this name in Castle Ward 1901-1911 I can see is an Ann Robson, age 69, Q1 1907. Though the age is very out for the lady you are looking for, given that ages on death registrations were the best guess of the informant, its still a possible.

Though if she, for instance, died in a hospital - possibly Newcastle, then the death would have been registered there.

Do you have Thomas in the 1911 census? Was he still in the same area? If he wasn't then its possible that they both moved and she died wherever he was in 1911.

EDIT 
It is possible that Thomas stayed put and had married in 1908 to Sarah Jane Emerson. If that checks out with what you know then the timing is right for his Mam to have died in 1907. A year of making his own dinner after he got home from work would have made him ready for marriage :-)

Its difficult to have checking points for a death cert if the person was not married. An option is to ring the GRO in Southport (tel no on GRO site) and explain it may be the right cert but you only want it if there is no husband mentioned or either the informant matches her son or the address is the one in 1901 - other than that even if you buy the cert you couldn't be sure. The GRO will refund if they can't find a death that matches.

Boo

Offline odessa

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: ROBSON, Ann b.abt 1827 Ryton
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 February 17 09:09 GMT (UK) »
Boo

Thanks so much for confirmation on registration districts. I suspect the 1907 entry may well be worth looking at, as indeed Thomas Robson with wife Sarah Jane were resident at 48 John Street in 1911.

It also may be possible to try the burial registers first (a little less expensive!) to see if a street address is given as place of death.

"Robson" is a tricky name to research in the north-east  ;)

Thanks again, odessa
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk