Author Topic: William Hood born Carnigill?? About 1780  (Read 3605 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
William Hood born Carnigill?? About 1780
« on: Tuesday 14 February 17 23:11 GMT (UK) »
1851 Census Place Collierley & Pontop [Dipton]

Birth record for this William Hood please? (see full width of image below)

Possibly Carnigill, Baldersdale? Hunderthwaite Moor / Cotherstone Moor areas?

Carnigill appears between the letter t & h in the words "Hunderthwaite Moor" on this old map.

Carnigill Farmhouse ...
http://www.accommodationbritain.co.uk/places/14991.html

1856 John Bainbridge, Carnigill House, sale of livestock.

1890 Hunderthwaite
John Hind, stonemason, Carnigill
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/NRY/Romaldkirk/Romaldkirk90Dry.html

Location seems to come under Yorkshire and Durham.

Regards Mark

EDIT:

Durham University Library Special Collections
PAL 3/1A/15   18 July 1827
William Watson (demandee), Henry Smales (tenant), George Hood (vouchee). Barnard Castle. 3f

Interesting a Mr Watson representing Mary Addison in Addison v. Bainbridge March 1847 (brief report below Mary Addison of West Carnagill ref to Underthwaite and Cotherstone Moors).

No IGI Coverage Romaldkirk, North Yorks?
Carnigill on Hunderthwaite Moor seems to come under the Parish of Romaldkirk North Riding of Yorkshire. However, no IGI after 1772 (C) / 1773 (Marr), although C.M.B. Registers 1578 to 1963, source Yorkshire Parish Registers by Colin Blanshard Withers.

Churches / Chapels on recent 1976 OS Pink (1:50 000 Series) Sheet 92 Barnard Castle & Richmond map:-
Romaldkirk; Cotherstone; and more distant Laithkirk; Lartington; Eggleston

Old map Carnigill ...
http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/maps/series?xCenter=3245754.21581&yCenter=3138028.57676&scale=63360&viewScale=181417.4208&mapLayer=nineteenth&subLayer=first_edition&title=Ordnance%20Survey%20and%20Ordnance%20Survey%20of%20Scotland%20First%20Series&download=true

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
Re: William Hood born Carnigill?? About 1780
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 February 17 12:05 GMT (UK) »
Wonder how much of a coincidence given the surname Bainbridge in your post - that the Bainbridge Hood family in Beverley records - mentioned on a thread before - wonder if there could possibly be a link

Claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 February 17 19:37 GMT (UK) »
Slightly of topic,

Main factors

1) What you are looking for is George Hood baptism/birth 1785 to 1785 from known data death age marriage age and 1841 c could widen the search years.

2) George died in Selby 1845 but burial place uknown

3) George Hood is residing in Selby 1812 owner of a known business that had gone bankrupt by previous owner R Gibson, - in 1813 a George Hood is residing with a
ErrorSPAM
REPORT THIS POST AS SPAM (Use 'Report to Moderator'). DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS IN THIS POST. DO NOT REPLY TO THIS PERSON.
]George Wilkinson [/color]in Knottingley West riding of Yorkshire.[/color] It would take mean funding to buy recovery stock and more funding to turn around the business to be a running concern in the black.

Either external funding was risked as an investment on George Hoods's ability or record of turning around bankrupt stock (Very unlikely by George Hood only  aged 25 in  1812) or George Hood had his own wealth age 25 in 1812 and being so young as aged 25, it could be from an inheritance rather than George Hood had earned his wealth by his 4 years savings from aged 21 of full age.

[/u]George's inheritance must be before 1812 if he had one
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 February 17 00:31 GMT (UK) »
Wonder how much of a coincidence given the surname Bainbridge in your post - that the Bainbridge Hood family in Beverley records - mentioned on a thread before - wonder if there could possibly be a link

Claire

Hello Claire, dobfarm and All

Mr Bainbridge struck me too.

One of the Bainbridge Hoods married a Pearson, whether any link between any of them and my Hood at Selby, I don't know.

However, I like this William Hood (born circa 1780), as I can't find an IGI Birth / Baptism. My George Hood baptism is also unknown, but known to have been born circa 1785 - 1787 and believed to be born Yorkshire.

My reasoning is, if two Hood baptisms can't be found, then they might be brothers / same family.

Colin Blanshard Withers book and Hugh Wallis site only shows Romaldkirk Registers up to 1772/1773 and from no reply, seems this William Hood's baptism is not on the subscription sites either, so a whole family of Hood offspring could be missing online?

Gibson
Regarding Richard Gibson, he was in Little Britain, in 1810 when the Certificate of Conformity was issued (per TNA indexes), but noticed a comment on Rootschat that he was on the Selby Land Tax in 1811?

From what I can gather a Certificate of Conformity was issued when the bankrupt was discharged and no longer bankrupt, so it might have been Gibson who turned the business around enough to satisfy his Creditors and simply sold it to George Hood, perhaps cheaply. Shame Gibson's Bankruptcy Commissioner file was not kept as any relationship might have been confirmed. Hoping to get to see if the Manor Rental records shed any light regarding Gibson to Hood Tenancy changeover.

Barnard Castle Document
I have emailed Durham Special Collections, as it is 3 folios, but a document with a Demandee/Damandant, a Tenant and a Vouchee sounds like a Common Recovery and the last one I saw, was around the time that the Lord of the Manor had died. All three parties went to Westminster appearing in person.

It is some type of Legal process relating to an Estate / Manor. A Vouchee appears in person but makes no defence and being in default, the Court gives judgement to the demandant or recoverer. [Something like that. Not to be taken as Legal advice - see also the old Legal books on the subject]

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=hApgMgaBOrgC&pg=PA339&lpg=PA339&dq=Manors+Recovery+Demand+Tenant+%22Voucher%22&source=bl&ots=3X_cn0R-kB&sig=inj1cdS09xuDoNdu5SSk-4_0f7I&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwilipvomZPSAhWnDMAKHVefBLUQ6AEIGjAA

Regards Mark

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 February 17 01:33 GMT (UK) »

I've been looking for a baptism too ~ no luck.

Checked Land tax records, that area is not included, that I can see anyway.

I did some reading on Romaldkirk and it did suggest that the area of Cotherstone was mainly inhabited by Quakers.

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/yorks/north/vol1/pp117-127#highlight-first

Interesting reading actually

Claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 February 17 11:53 GMT (UK) »
Interesting link, looks like Romaldkirk were anciently farmed lands (before Land Tax).

"(fn. 20) Romaldkirk parish naturally suffered considerably in border warfare, and in 1340–1 40 carucates were said to have been wasted by the Scots. (fn. 21) "

One carucate was about 120 to 140 acres under plough, so 40 carucates was a large farmed estate.

The Moors seem to have been inclosed much more recently, possibly common grazing before enclosure.

William and Catherine Hood
Another reason for my interest in this William Hood, was that his wife Catherine was born Newcastle All Saints (slide over the 1851 Census extract in my first posting).

Are there any Marriage and Burial dates for this William Hood please? There was one Death in the District of Gateshead 1852 and the age in the new GRO index is about right, give or take a year, but William Hood's burial should confirm him to be husband of Catherine and confirm year?

Thank you.

Regards Mark

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 16 February 17 13:03 GMT (UK) »
Possible marriage from your previous post - reply #13

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ji0/

William Hood married Catherine Patterson 16 August 1835, at St Hilda's Church, South Shields, Durham. Both Single.

Image from BT: http://www.rootschat.com/links/01jhz/
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 16 February 17 13:57 GMT (UK) »
1852 burial of William Hood of Sunniside.  Buried at 19 Dec 1852 at St Mary's, Whickham

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ji1/
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 16 February 17 14:58 GMT (UK) »
1852 burial of William Hood of Sunniside.  Buried at 19 Dec 1852 at St Mary's, Whickham

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ji1/

EDIT: Burial seems to be 1832? Interested in the William Hood in the 1851 Census, see image in first post.
2nd EDIT: Image is dated 1852.

Hi

Thank you Jomot.

When I researched the place of Carnigill (alias Carnagill) again the other day, I had already spent an hour or more looking on the Durham BTs from the St Hilda's link, but found a gap in the Marriages after 1834, until 1837 and I'm sorry, I meant to mention that, if anyone else tried this.

However, you appear to have found a William Hood to a Catherine, St Hilda's marriage from the 'South Shields' link! Thanks!

Burial
I see Whickham is near Gateshead, but some way off Pontop & Collierley (SW of Dipton).

Thank you, Mark