Author Topic: Christ Church, Dunston  (Read 1905 times)

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Christ Church, Dunston
« on: Wednesday 15 February 17 00:22 GMT (UK) »
As far as I can tell, Christ Church Parish in Dunston was created from Whickham parish in 1872 and the registers are deposited at Durham Records Office and on microfilm at TWAS.

I can't see anything in the Family Search catalogue for it, nor in Durham Records Online, can't see it listed in the parish list for the NDFHS transcriptions on FindMyPast, nor in FreeReg. and I have a folder full of folk that I expect were baptised but can't find them anywhere!

I am hoping to visit TWAS sometime this year, but I get there so infrequently I like to do as much research as I can before I go so that I can spend the limited time I have there getting copies of the records I require rather than 'fishing' to find out which church they may be in :-)

If anyone knows of any online transcriptions, anywhere I can purchase a transcription I'd be grateful.

Boo

Offline Mr. Tibbs

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Christ Church, Dunston
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 May 17 08:01 BST (UK) »
You're correct.  Dunston was part of Whickham parish until 1872, when the parish of Dunston Christ Church came into being.  The parish became part of Dunston St, Nicholas in 1976. http://webwanderers.org/listings/dunston-christ-church/  will give you a little info. on the history of the parish.  So, baptisms before 1872 will be in the Whickham, St. Mary's parish and after 1976 at Dunston, St. Nicholas.  I hope this helps.

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 May 17 22:29 BST (UK) »
You're correct.  Dunston was part of Whickham parish until 1872, when the parish of Dunston Christ Church came into being.  The parish became part of Dunston St, Nicholas in 1976. http://webwanderers.org/listings/dunston-christ-church/  will give you a little info. on the history of the parish.  So, baptisms before 1872 will be in the Whickham, St. Mary's parish and after 1976 at Dunston, St. Nicholas.  I hope this helps.

Thank you, good to have confirmation of what I had thought.
The baptisms I am looking for were in the timeframe for the records of Christ Church, so it looks as though I will have to wait till I can visit the North East and trawl through the microfilms. I still have hopes of being able to visit sometime this year, but everyday life keeps getting in the way :-)

Boo

Offline Mr. Tibbs

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 May 17 17:18 BST (UK) »
Have you looked at Durham Records on line https://www.durhamrecordsonline.com/Parish_Record_Info.php?q=1&cookiecheck=1
They have transcriptions of Christchurch baptisms from 1872 till 1910.  Free to search; payable after that.  It would give you some idea of your ancestors.

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 13 May 17 20:20 BST (UK) »
Have you looked at Durham Records on line https://www.durhamrecordsonline.com/Parish_Record_Info.php?q=1&cookiecheck=1
They have transcriptions of Christchurch baptisms from 1872 till 1910.  Free to search; payable after that.  It would give you some idea of your ancestors.

Yes thanks, but the baptisms I am looking for are post 1910.

I 'will' get to the North East before the end of the year - I am determined :-)

Boo

Offline Mr. Tibbs

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 14 May 17 09:06 BST (UK) »
Ah, now I understand.  I don't live that far from Newcastle and certainly get there at least once a month, if I can be of help just let me know.

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 14 May 17 10:36 BST (UK) »
Ah, now I understand.  I don't live that far from Newcastle and certainly get there at least once a month, if I can be of help just let me know.

Thank you, that's very kind of you and much appreciated.
I know how much time a 'fishing' expedition can take though, so I limit my lookup requests to specifics.
If I come up with something specific I'll shout out.

Boo

Offline Mr. Tibbs

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 14 May 17 11:15 BST (UK) »
OK sounds fine to me.  The offer is there.

Offline bevmatth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 20:48 BST (UK) »
Sorry to jump on your post but was looking for info on Christ Church, Dunston and this post came up. I'm looking for a burial from 1894 and have found one registered at Christ Church, Dunston but I was unsure whether the original church built in the 1800 had a graveyard or if burial were in a cemetery near by? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Bev