Author Topic: Glossop Baptisms All Saints  (Read 1482 times)

Offline Lazarus

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Glossop Baptisms All Saints
« on: Wednesday 15 February 17 05:48 GMT (UK) »
I have ancestors James Wyatt and Hannah Wood who married 1789 at All Saints Glossop.
I have not been able to find a baptism record for them. I think they were baptised at All Saints C1767 and  C1765.
I have accessed baptisms at http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~dusk/glossop_bapt_1732-1781/glossop_bapt_1732-1781_15.html.
I have notice that there appear to be gaps in these records between 1762-1767.
This may well explain why I have not been able to find their baptism.
I think Hannah Wood was a d/o jonas Wood and Elizabeth Bowden who married Glossop 1759.
They had 5 children born between 1759 and 1769. Hannah would fit bC1865.

Would the "missing" baptisms still be accessable?

Help greatly appreciated.
Wyatt and Wood of Glossop, Derbyshire. Longstaff of Bishop Auckland,Durham. Harry of St Austell and St Kew,Cornwall. Charters of County Antrim.Knight of Warwickshire.Hendy of Ballyedmonduff.

Offline Derbysderek

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Glossop Baptisms All Saints
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 February 17 12:46 GMT (UK) »
I am aware of the gap in the Glossop Baptisms..there may well have been a very good reason for it..such as refurbishment or lack of a priest.....during which time Baptisms coud have taken place elsewhere..............The ONLY James Wyatt I can find in that time-span is a baptism in Chesterfield 11.12.1767 son of Mary......?
on the same basis you might consider Hannah Wood 27.05.1764  at Fairfield daughter of Edward and Jane..and Hannah Wood 07.11.1769 at Doveridge daughter of John and sarah

Derek

PS one of the witnesses at the Wedding of James and hannah in 1789 was a JONAS Wyatt......possible father????....

Another local Baptism...James Wyatt at Hayfield 01.11.1766 son of Hannah
Willing to research Derbyshire ancestors (free of charge) have a large number of derbyshire parish records. and access to many others including full Census including 1911....

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 February 17 14:13 GMT (UK) »
FreeREG has the 1789 Marriage.

Searching James Wyatt, Marriage, 1789 +/- 5yrs, a James Wyatt is a Witness to several Glossop Marriages including;
MARTHA Wyatt to William FIDLER 1789
HANNAH WYATT to George HOWE 1789
Possible Siblings?

1841 Census a Hannah How is in Glossop born c 1766
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Lazarus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 February 17 21:19 GMT (UK) »
Derek
I was hoping that the answer to my problem was a missing section of the Glossop baptisms ie not transcribed.I have been considering baptisms elsewhere without any proof or supporting evidence.
I had noticed the Chesterfield bpt 11.12.1767 s/o Mary and thought it possible. I need supporting evidence.
With regard to Hannah Wood , I can confirm Jonas Wood was a witness at her 1789 Glossop wedding. I am almost certain that Jonas was her father.

The Wyatts inherited tenancy of Blackshaw Farm under the Will of John Wood 1733-1815.
His brother was Jonas Wood = Betty Bowden.They had children in that time frame.I am thinking she is from that family.
I don't think I should dismiss the Hayfield bapt.

Trish
I have the documentation for the 1789 marriage and happy with that.
Your suggestion that James Wyatt might have been witness to the 1789 of two Wyatt women is well worth exploring as they might be siblings.

Thank you both for helping.
Wyatt and Wood of Glossop, Derbyshire. Longstaff of Bishop Auckland,Durham. Harry of St Austell and St Kew,Cornwall. Charters of County Antrim.Knight of Warwickshire.Hendy of Ballyedmonduff.

Offline Lazarus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 February 17 08:18 GMT (UK) »
Trish
I don't suppose you can access 1789 Glossop marriages Fidler and Howe.
You advise James Wyatt a witness to both marriages.
I would like to compare his signature with that as groom on his marriage record.
I have a copy.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 17 February 17 10:57 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Lazarus I dont have access to the actual marriage records. I only saw the transcription on FreeREG.

Trish
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline GrahamH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.gjh.me.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 21 February 17 10:12 GMT (UK) »
I'm afraid the gap at the end of the 18th century is a result of records - both the original registers and the BTs - being lost a long time ago. Most frustrating for all of us researching in the area at that time.

With some family lines I have been able to use will/admon records to fill the gaps but in others it has not been possible. I have one line where naming patterns mean a 90-odd percent certainty but can't find any further proof.

Offline Lazarus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 21 February 17 21:07 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Graham
I agree most frustrating having accounted for this family since their residence Glossop and Blackshaw Farm but stuck with James Wyatt snr and Hannah Wood.

Rex