Author Topic: Families of John Angus of Huntly and wife Isabel Shand of Forgue, Aberdeenshire  (Read 1857 times)

Offline Mixo

• RootsChat Member
  • Lead miners from near Alston & Allendale
    • View Profile
Hello - from a distant Australian descendant of James Angus and Isabel Shand, from Huntly, Aberdeenshire.

Research indicates my 3rd great grand parents, were Alexander Angus, born c1786, at Huntly, Aberdeenshire to John Angus and Isabel Shand, and Alexander's wife - Jane Jessamin, born 1795 at Carnie to Thomas Jessamin and Anne Glennie.

As my access to Scottish web records are quite limited from here in Australia, I would really appreciate any info or documents, as to any of the siblings of Alexander and Isabel Angus.

I believe the attached image of James Angus, is the only known photo of him, being the only son of Alexander Angus and Jane Jessamin.

Any and all info regarding this family branch would be greatly appreciated !

Many Thanks
Mixo Sydenham
Ellinbank Victoria
Joseph Richardson & Ann Metcalf from Alston c1720s, Fenwick Allison & Isabella Slack from Garrigill c1770s,
William Calvert & Eleanor Allison from Allendale c1790s,
John and Mary Liddell from Ninebanks c1780s,
William Coulson and Mary Scott from Allendale c1760s,
James Vipond and Mary Ann Bell from Alston c1800s,
John Clementson and Mary Whitfield from Garrigill c1720s,
and more at
http://www.richardson.org.au/

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Families of John Angus of Huntly and wife Isabel Shand of Forgue, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 February 17 10:29 GMT (UK) »
As my access to Scottish web records are quite limited from here in Australia
You have, in fact, exactly the same online access to the basic documents as anyone living in Scotland.
See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=714261.0

I see from 'community indexed' IGI at www.familysearch.org that Alexander Angus and Jane Jessamin were married in 1820 and had three recorded children
Isobel, baptised 11 December 1820 in Huntly
Ann Catharine, baptised 25 August 1823 in Huntly
James, born 11 and baptised 19 June 1827 in Mortlach
It is possible that there could be other children whose baptism records have not survived; in particular there is a gap in 1825 when another child might have been born.

The 1841 census transcription at http://www.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl lists in Huntly Alexr Angus, 50; Jane Angus, 44; James Angus, 14; John Angus, 55. In 1851 there are Alexander Angus, 61, born Huntly; Jane Angus, 54, born Huntly; James Angus, 23, born Mortlach.

If these ages are accurate, Alexander would have been born 1789/1790 and Jane in 1796/1797.

The index at Scotland's People lists the death of Alexander Angus, aged 85, in Huntly in 1872, and Jane Jessiman or Angus, aged 79, in Huntly in 1877. So your first step is to register with Scotland's People, invest in at least 12 credits at less than the cost of buying a single Australian certificate, and use them to view and download both death certificates. They will tell you the names of both parents of both Alexander and Jane, including their mothers' maiden surnames.

There is a 20-year-old Isobel Angus, servant in a household in Huntly, in the 1841 census. I have not found her in 1851, so she probably married between 1841 and 1851.

There are quite a lot of Ann Anguses in the 1841, but again I have not found a likely-looking one in 1851, so the chances are that either she died before 1841, or that she married between 1841 and 1851.

If either Isobel or Ann Catharine died in Scotland after 1855, there should be a death certificate.

Hope this helps.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
Re: Families of John Angus of Huntly and wife Isabel Shand of Forgue, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 February 17 10:39 GMT (UK) »
Just to add to what Forfarian has just said  -  There is a birth on Scotlands People Index for Alexander Angus born 23/11/1786 at Huntly to Alexander Angus and Isobel Shand.

It's well worth registering and buying some credits for Scotlands People as suggested.

Good Luck

Dorrie

Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 February 17 10:51 GMT (UK) »
Just to add to what Forfarian has just said  -  There is a birth on Scotlands People Index for Alexander Angus born 23/11/1786 at Huntly to Alexander Angus and Isobel Shand.
Yes. I deliberately omitted that. As there is apparently a death certificate available, there is no point in speculating. The chances are that he was the son of Alexander Angus and Isobel Shand, but might as well get the definite evidence, when it is so easily available, before trying to move back a generation.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Mixo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 February 17 03:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much for your research and tips. I am quite new to finding Scottish records, so your help is much appreciated.
Mixo
Victoria Aus
Joseph Richardson & Ann Metcalf from Alston c1720s, Fenwick Allison & Isabella Slack from Garrigill c1770s,
and more at

Offline amethyst61

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 September 17 07:33 BST (UK) »
I too am an Australian descendant of this family. Alexander Angus -Jane Jessiman's daughter Isabel married John Jamieson 11 Dec 1847 North Church Aberdeen, Scotland. Their son Alexander (c1850-1916), wife Mary Mackie (c1851-1933) and 2 sons, James Mackie (1876-1967) & Alexander (1881-1960) emigrated to NSW 1892. My Grandfather was the letter son, Alexander. I have alot of information to share if interested on my Jamieson family.

Donna

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Mixo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 25 September 17 00:13 BST (UK) »
Hello Donna,

Thanks so very much for your message, and the early info you supplied re families of Isabel Angus and John Jamieson. It's really appreciated, as most of my base research is done via Ancestry.com and it's somewhat limited. Admittedly its been nearly a year since looking into our Angus connections, and its great to now be able to fill the missing gaps regarding Isabel's marriage and family.

For your background info, we have a distant cousin Andrea Fitzgerald, who lives in East Gippsland, and has done a deal of research on her branch from John Angus and Isabel Shand. Early this year we arranged a family get-together at Traralgon with other Angus descendants, being Patricia Nalder, Greame Ness and Jean Robertson, but Andrea had to cancel. I would say that Andrea would be very keen to get in touch with you too.

I know these must be meaningless names to you at this time, however if you send an email direct to me, I would be happy to send an invite for free access to my Ancestry listings, which should hopefully enlighten you greatly.

Personally my grandmother on dads side was Ruby Winifred Skinner, daughter of William Archer Skinner and Elizabeth Jane Angus. I have put up my own research site at http://skinner.org.au and added some basic outlines of some Angus records found so far at http://skinner.org.au/angus_family_links.html which in particular, should clarify connections to some names above.

Naturally, with thanks to you, we now know Isabel Angus had a family branch with an Aussie link, so I would like to offer you the opportunity to add any relevant info, portraits, certificates etc to our Angus page as above. I simply reserve the right to edit, and if appropriate, limit whatever you wish to add. A suitable acknowledgement to your research will be added, if you wish.

My email address is * and please let me know if you would like my phone number to discuss anything outlined above.

In the mean time, warm regards,
Mixo Sydenham
Ellinbank Victoria
( Currently on Magneic Island QLD )

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.
and more at

Offline amethyst61

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 27 September 17 12:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks Mixo, will get some info together for you.

Donna