Author Topic: MARRIAGE OF CHARLES (de) BELIN AND SARAH SPRATT 1830  (Read 1521 times)

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
MARRIAGE OF CHARLES (de) BELIN AND SARAH SPRATT 1830
« on: Wednesday 15 February 17 12:58 GMT (UK) »
Many years during my research I was given this "Messervy Transcript" of my ancestor's marriage at St Helier, Jersey - "Charles de Belin Esq native of Dublin and living in Valognes, Department of La Manche, Kingdom of France and Miss Sarah Spratt of the parish of St Martin Salisbury were married on the 28th day of June, 1830, by me Rich Mayne (or Hayne) - Curate"

Unfortunately, I don't have the details of how I received the transcript, but was wondering is it possible to actually obtain a copy or view the original? I have no doubt this my 3 x great grandfather and his second wife, however, I just need to confirm 2 details.

1) is his surname "de Belin" or "Belin"? This is the first record I've seen his name spelt "de Belin", this spelling then being continued on by his son and descendants, to present day.

2) is "Native of Dublin" correctly transcribed? All evidence I have is that he was either born in France or Channel Islands - "Dublin" has come out of nowhere!

Thank you

Les

de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MARRIAGE OF CHARLES (de) BELIN AND SARAH SPRATT 1830
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 February 17 13:28 GMT (UK) »
You can see the original parish entry on Ancestry now.

The transcription looks correct.  Bridegroom is Charles De Belin, Esq, native of Dublin [etc].

The curate's name is Rich. Hayne.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 February 17 07:22 GMT (UK) »

AVM228 - Thanks very much for obtaining that information.

Hmmm, looks as though "Native of Dublin" it is then - don't know where that came from? I presume "Native of" only means born there, not necessarily lived there? He was certainly French through and through, as was his son.

I did check Ancestry, and couldn't find it. Will have to go back for a more thorough look this time.

Regards

Les
de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 February 17 07:30 GMT (UK) »
AVM228 - just tried Ancestry again for the marriage, and got it first go. Easy to search under "Sarah Spratt", than the French name of "Charles de Belin" - Ancestry doesn't like hyphenated surnames.

Thanks again.

Les