Author Topic: William Norris - died 1857 Newbury - on Berks will index ? and/or 1815 "census"  (Read 2907 times)

Offline hatofthecat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
If anyone has the Berkshire wills index CD could they do a lookup and see if there is a will for William Norris who died 1857 in Newbury (born Andover, Hants 1774) 

He was a glover according to marriage allegation in 1801, although also may have made breeches as well like his brother James, and based then on in Newbury. 

So if anyone has the 1815 Toomer's census for Newbury would be great to see if he's listed on that. His wife was Sarah (nee Hopgood). 

I've also not yet found any children for the couple.

thanks for any help

Norris / Andover, Poplar, Canning Town, Stratford
Hughes, Cooper, New  / Berkshire
Waugh, Lisle, Davison, Mole, Luke, Dodd / Northumberland
Walton / Cumberland, County Durham, Northumberland
Littlefair / County Durham, Northumberland
Morcumb, Pedler, Warne, Whitford, Arthur, Warmington, Sleap, Docton,Couche / Cornwall
Ross / Middlesex, Hertfordshire
Southgate / Essex
Tarrant/Hampshire

Offline babyboy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Norris - died 1857 Newbury - on Berks will index ? and/or 1815 "census"
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 February 17 13:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I can't help with the wills index but this looks like William Norris and family in the Toomers 1815 census

Abode: Cheap Street (West Side) Newbury (under sub area is recorded "Factory")

William Norris aged 40    occ:Breeches Maker
Sarah Norris aged 40
William Norris aged 13
James Norris aged 12
Henry Norris aged 9                    (under notes column is recorded "in Cowslads")
George Norris aged 6
Mary Norris aged 5
Elizabeth Norris aged 3

Chris

Offline hatofthecat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: William Norris - died 1857 Newbury - on Berks will index ? and/or 1815 "census"
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 February 17 13:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks babyboy, that is incredibly useful and its definitely the right family 8)

I only had the daughter Mary so far (her one surviving child became a prominent Primitive Methodist minister) but now there's all those siblings to keep me busy  ;D  She was still living with her father on the 1851 census at the St Bartholemew almshouses (I found William her father being granted one of the houses in an 1843 newspaper report).

I've found the explanation of the Cowslad note next to Henry's name.  It was a local educational trust established on 1715 by Richard Cowslad.  Following text is from "The Statutes Relating to the Ecclesiastical and Eleemosynary Institutions of England, Wales, Ireland, India, and the Colonies Vol. 2" by Archibald John Stephens, 1845.

"it appeared that Richard Cowslad, by deed dated May, 1715, conveyed lands to John Hore and others, upon trust, out of the rents to pay for the schooling and education of ten poor boys, born and inhabiting in the borough of Newbury, to be chosen by the mayor, alderman, and burgesses of the borough, and for the clothing of such boys; which said schooling, education, and clothing were to be as the mayor, alderman, burgesses, should think fit, and were to continue until they should direct the boys to be put out apprentices."

thanks again, Pete
Morcumb, Pedler, Warne, Whitford, Arthur, Warmington, Sleap, Docton,Couche / Cornwall
Southgate / Essex
Tarrant/Hampshire

Offline jimmartewn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Good morning,

Could someone please look up the Fry family in the 1815 Toomer census.

Many thanks in advance.

Offline hatofthecat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
jimmartewn I've actually got a copy of the 1815 Toomer census now so I've had a look for any Fry.

There is no "Fry family" as such, just two single Fry women listed at different locations (no other spellings of "Fry" surname found either):

Martha Fry, aged 25
Area: West side of market place
Sub Area: Mansion House

No occupation given and impossible to tell if she is associated with people listed before and after her (quite a random list of people & trades).  Mansion House is the short street that runs from Bridge Street to the north west corner of market place.

Ruth Fry, aged 56, a widow
Area: East Side of Bartholomew Street
Sub Area: Gibbs Yard

Again no occupation given but looks to be part of household of Samuel Tanner a Millwright.  There are two Gibbs yards marked on the map that accompanied the 1815 census.  This Gibbs yard was the one located opposite the still existing Craven Street that runs west from Bartholomew Street.

Hopefully one or both of these ladies are yours  :)

Southgate / Essex
Tarrant/Hampshire

Offline jimmartewn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Thank you very much indeed!

Still early days in finding out about the family. But this will be so helpful with my research!

Really appreciated.