Author Topic: Living DNA  (Read 13532 times)

Offline ldmk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Living DNA
« on: Wednesday 15 February 17 19:19 GMT (UK) »
I was wondering if anyone had taken a DNA test from Living DNA. It's a new UK-based genetic DNA testing company with a specific focus on breaking down ancestry to 21 regions in Britain and Ireland. They identify your DNA from 80 global regions, but the specific focus is on Britain and Ireland.

https://www.livingdna.com/en-us

I've had a lot of success with my Ancestry DNA test, mostly based on the number of connections available on Ancestry. So I am skeptical about tests that are not closely linked with a large database of results or family trees.

Offline Adrian Stevenson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Living DNA
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 February 17 20:22 GMT (UK) »
My results from them are due in April.

Cheers, Ade.
Stevensons of Ruddington. Haplogroup  I FCG24357. MT Haplogroup T2c1. GedMatch number T419829

Offline weste

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 February 17 22:40 GMT (UK) »
Myself and a friend ordered a kit on Tuesday.We've both done dna tests before.

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 February 17 12:25 GMT (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=757170.0

There is a fairly comprehensive review of the results from Living DNA in this thread the entry is by DevonCruwys.

I have also tested with them and must admit the results provide some answers to questions I had but have also provided the basis for far more questions.

Although they plan to roll out further features for analysis of your data, at the moment they are concentrating on the ethnicity angle.

Offline weste

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 February 17 18:16 GMT (UK) »
One thing which would be good to do is to hurry up and accept data from other companies dna tests, there was mention of possibly being able to do in the future. Their chip is a bit more modern so I don't know what difference it would make to peoples results.It would be good to swell the database.

Offline XPhile2868

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 17 February 17 10:16 GMT (UK) »
My results should be available in either late April or May, I'm hoping that it might help give me some clue as to where my two unknown great great grandfathers were from, but either way the results should be fascinating. I think the Northern English regions will make up a large part of the results.

Stephen :)
Smith (Lancashire), McKenna (Ireland/Liverpool/Leyland), Maynard (Hertfordshire/London/Preston), Ricketts (Gloucestershire/Wigan/Preston), Scowcroft (Preston), Harling (N. Yorkshire/Lancashire), Willis (Preston), Clegg (Manchester/Preston), Dodd (Wigan/Cheshire), Alston (Lancashire), Hulks (Hertfordshire), Nicholson (Lancashire/Cumbria), Russell (Lancashire), Wilson (Cumbria), Bracewell (Lancashire), Moxham (Lancashire0

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline weste

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 17 February 17 11:37 GMT (UK) »
My kits just arrived and my friends came yesterday. She's sent hers in and mine will go in today. I ordered the kit online Tuesday. It said 5-7 days so that's good.My brothers and nephew match at approx 5 generations with my friend. We have areas in common but not sure whether there is a particular area to focus on but most of areas are gonna fall in the same area as central England so it may not help. There's a bit of Irish come up as well so let's see what happens. I may get a brother to do one for the male line. I have one brother who won't test. If his work mates told him to do it he sure would but I suspect the reverse has happened! 2 of my brothers tested as well as mom and my sister on ancestry, I 'd like him too but then I'd have a decision to make as who to do the y line! So may have to do living DNA if he changes his mind. I like having them on ancestry and they are on gedmatch.

Offline Bearnan

• RootsChat Member
  • The boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 17 February 17 13:48 GMT (UK) »
Can someone tell me if my sister and I took the Living DNA test would the results be pretty much the same..

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 17 February 17 18:37 GMT (UK) »
 :) Hi,

Yes, assuming you and your sister share both parents, then the tests should be very similar.  In order to try to pin down an elusive great grandfather I got Dad's cousins to test which was really useful to compare with him and we are now getting close to knowing who he was.  We have very strong suspicions 8)

Liz
Research interests:
Sussex (Isted, Trusler, Pullen, Botting), Surrey (Isted), Shropshire (Hayward), Lincolnshire (Brown, Richardson), Wiltshire (Bailey), Schleswig-Holstein (Isted),  Nordrhein-Westfalen (Niessen).

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk