Author Topic: Living DNA  (Read 13520 times)

Offline mgeneas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Living DNA
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 21 February 17 18:37 GMT (UK) »
I am puzzled by the lack of Western Europe in my FTDNA

I have 98% European, not a surprise, but the breakdown is
Scandinavia 42
British Isles 41
Southern Europe 9
Eastern Europe
Eastern Middle East 1
Western Europe 0

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 21 February 17 20:25 GMT (UK) »
Fear not the ethnicity predictions that the DNA companies make at this stage are just educated guesses and can be quite wrong. For example I have no British Isles on my analysis yet my father has 40% or so on his so where did all my British Isles ethnicity go in one generation. When I run our tests through gedmatch.com we get results that are much closer and I even then pick up my British Isles inheritance. So what company you use can determine what results you see.

In short what these ethnicity predictions tell you is what they are programmed to do and what assumptions they make on ridiculously small reference populations. At this stage of the "science" they are nothing more that a curiosity and should be treated as such in my opinion. In the future when lots more people have tested the results may become more meaningful but I think that is a long way off myself.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline mgeneas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 21 February 17 20:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the reassurance davidft!

I am saving up my pennies to test with Living DNA

Offline Bobby G

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 23 February 17 11:47 GMT (UK) »
I've tested but waiting on results. It's been 4 months since I initially ordered and they say March it'll be ready.

EDIT - received results overnight.
Researching Gambrill www.gambrillfamilytree.com Gedmatch T909876 Join our Gambrill FB Group

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 26 February 17 12:55 GMT (UK) »
I've tested but waiting on results. It's been 4 months since I initially ordered and they say March it'll be ready.

EDIT - received results overnight.

Now you have your results and have had a chance to look at them may I ask

1. Were the results what you were expecting
2. Did they answer any questions re your ancestry
3. Did they throw up new questions re your ancestry
4. Do you consider the information you received worth the fee you paid
5. Would you recommend others took the test, or possibly waited until LivingDNA agree to take transfers from other testing sites

Thank you
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 26 February 17 14:56 GMT (UK) »

Now you have your results and have had a chance to look at them may I ask

1. Were the results what you were expecting
2. Did they answer any questions re your ancestry
3. Did they throw up new questions re your ancestry
4. Do you consider the information you received worth the fee you paid
5. Would you recommend others took the test, or possibly waited until LivingDNA agree to take transfers from other testing sites

Thank you

In my own case
1. No
2. Some questions answered but many more thrown up
3. Yes
4. Yes
5. Its very much an individual thing and also depends very much on what you want from the information. Living DNA as a company are very much in the fledgling period and promise more to come. If you are looking for a detailed report on your UK Ancestry through your DNA then go for it. If on the other hand you are looking for genealogical links then another test by a different company would suit your needs more

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 27 February 17 18:12 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your comments. I have been reading around the web about the company and at the moment I don't think this is something I will pursue as much because my previous forays into ethnicity DNA testing have given less than impressive results as to any concerns about this company.

I will wait and see how things develop with this company and maybe reconsider in due course.

Offline Bobby G

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 11:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your comments. I have been reading around the web about the company and at the moment I don't think this is something I will pursue as much because my previous forays into ethnicity DNA testing have given less than impressive results as to any concerns about this company.

I will wait and see how things develop with this company and maybe reconsider in due course.

I took the test (I already have tested at ftDNA) because it covered autosomal, paternal and maternal, really good value, however you cannot currently export the data.

I suppose, at this stage, I dont have an interest in the ethnicity, so not too bothered what that showed. My research, particularly my direct paternal line / paternal name is what interests me so I dont concentrate much on expanding other branches unless it occurs using my birth name.

But looking briefly at the map, I know the Gambrill (My paternal name and my area of research) name hails from Kent (Woodnesborough, Nonington, Barfreston, Dover etc - Would this be considered South East?), late 1600 onwards to 1900 or so - this is the breeding ground of the name Gambrill in England.

Upon looking at the map, I question the top 3 areas, but it does say, current day map

Researching Gambrill www.gambrillfamilytree.com Gedmatch T909876 Join our Gambrill FB Group

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Previously known as "neb_maat_re".
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 03 March 17 20:25 GMT (UK) »
An interesting comment from the Managing Director of Living DNA:

http://www.anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?8691-Living-DNA-launched-22-Sept-2016-British-Isles-focus/page102

It seems (from another source) that although Living DNA have identified regions of Scotland in their results, those outcomes are currently based on the results of medical testing and not completely on the People of the British Isles Project.

With 50% Scottish and at least 25% Irish ancestry I think I will hold off LivingDNA until they have those two areas better represented.