Author Topic: Living DNA  (Read 13489 times)

Offline Bearnan

• RootsChat Member
  • The boss
    • View Profile
Re: Living DNA
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 18 February 17 13:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Liz,
Thanks for that info, something for us to bear in mind. Our g.g.grandmother was Irish and we don't have a clue where she came from etc., despite having lots of help.

Mo

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 18 February 17 15:31 GMT (UK) »
Sorry to jump in here but I disagree with the previous advice given.

If both you and your sister test the results will not necessarily be similar. this is because the 50% of genes you inherit from each parent is at random and the 50% your sister inherited form each of your parents may be very similar to your own but it could also be quite different and so for that reason it may well be worthwhile both of you testing.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 18 February 17 16:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

davidft is of course completely correct in what he says and I'm sorry if my post was misleading.  I wrote it solely in the context of (what I understood to be) the aims of The Living DNA test which are different from FTDNA or 23andme etc.  Whereas testing with them was to try and find matches that could confirm (or reject) my paper trails, my reason for testing with Living DNA was because of its more specific ancestral locations. 

Debbie Kennett's blogs are excellent - Falkyrn has linked to them earlier in this thread.  I would expect two siblings to share the same 'Ancestry Map' surely?

Liz
Research interests:
Sussex (Isted, Trusler, Pullen, Botting), Surrey (Isted), Shropshire (Hayward), Lincolnshire (Brown, Richardson), Wiltshire (Bailey), Schleswig-Holstein (Isted),  Nordrhein-Westfalen (Niessen).

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bearnan

• RootsChat Member
  • The boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 18 February 17 17:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi, yes I was referring to the Living DNA test alone. My sister took one with Ancestry and I did not.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 18 February 17 19:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Yes I was referring to the Living DNA test too and why it could be worth you both testing. If you read the blog referred to above you will see how bits of inheritance drop out from generation to generation and siblings do not necessarily inherit the same or simpler inheritance from their parents and so they could have quite different "Ancestry" inheritance maps
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Bearnan

• RootsChat Member
  • The boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 18 February 17 20:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi,  thanks for that information something for us to think over. I suppose what we would really like to find out is if this test could narrow down a bit where in Ireland our g.g.grandmother Mary came from..........not that we are desperate  >:(

Offline weste

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 19 February 17 10:20 GMT (UK) »
I agree with David. I've just transferred my ancestrydna results to ftdna for more matches now they are accepting autosomal transfer again. Just found a match which links my brothers daughter to another brother's son. I recognise the matches name from the one sister in laws tree.Can't wait for the 2 sister in laws results to come out! Hopefully on the same page of matches!

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Previously known as "neb_maat_re".
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 20 February 17 23:39 GMT (UK) »
Here's a very good explanation of why the ethnicity results of siblings will vary:

http://lisalouisecooke.com/2016/02/dna-ethnicity-percentages-may-vary/

I can attest that my sister and I have quite different ethnicity breakdowns from FTDNA, although taken as a whole we are both largely "Western Europe" as expected.

This may not necessarily apply to Living DNA as they have taken a different approach to the UK and (upcoming) Republic of Ireland databases than other providers.

I am looking forward to getting Living DNA assessments for my two uncles (in lieu of my parents) but will wait for the ability to transfer data as I already have y-DNA and mtDNA results for them and don't need those again.

Offline weste

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 21 February 17 18:25 GMT (UK) »
yes I won't be getting too many done at livingdna, gonna wait for autosomal transfer but may get 1 brother to test.