Author Topic: WDYTYA Series 13: Warwick Davis  (Read 3601 times)

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
WDYTYA Series 13: Warwick Davis
« on: Wednesday 15 February 17 20:25 GMT (UK) »
Only halfway through the episode and finding it very interesting. Fred Durban liked doing things by doubles.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline roopat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WDYTYA Series 13: Warwick Davis
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 February 17 21:09 GMT (UK) »
I thought it was very interesting and Warwick Davis always seems so natural. But the last 7 minutes or so with the 'impromptu' sing-song was just padding - I wanted to know what had happened to Dennis' family when he was 'on his uppers' in lodgings at his death.

And the sceptic in me wasn't entirely convinced that the Dennis Manning in the American troupe was Warwick's ancestor.

But on the whole very enjoyable, particularly the information on the poor man in the mental hospital.

Pat
King, Richardson, Hathaway, Sweeney, Young - Chelsea, London
Richardson - Rayne Essex
Steward, Hindry, Hewitt - Norfolk, North Walsham area

Offline Primrose11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 February 17 21:53 GMT (UK) »
I thought this was the least interesting in this series. He also did that annoying thing of deciding he knew his ancestor's character from the briefest outline of their recorded details. I'm not convinced it was his Dennis either.
And, he wasn't descended from any royalty!
P
BATE
CHILWELL
DRURY
McCOLL

Online Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 February 17 22:09 GMT (UK) »
I do sometimes wonder about these shows.

I don't doubt the factual content, but after all they are made for our entertainment. Nobody wants to watch an hour of "Well, Miss Famous Person, you come from a long unbroken line of boring nonentities".

Do they research first and if interesting approach the celebrity, or approach first and then go hunting? Whichever way, I think that there must be a reasonably high failure rate.

Regards

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline StanleysChesterton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My G-grandmother on right, 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 February 17 22:53 GMT (UK) »
It was a pleasant and enjoyable watch.  Nice to see somebody 'excited' by scandal and surprise - and with a sense of humour around that excitement. 

It was a bit light on facts though about what others were doing.... but they did fit in two uplines, so an hour's not a long time.

It wasn't great from a genealogist's point of view of learning/discovering exciting things ... all mundane and leapt about a bit - but as "entertainment", which is what it is, it was fine.

Related to: Lots of people!
:)
Mostly Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire, some Kent and Dorset.

Elizabeth Long/Elizabeth Wilson/Elizabeth Long Wilson, b 1889 Caxton - where are you?
- -
Seeking: death year/location of Albert Edward Morgan, born Cambridge 1885/86 to Hannah & Edward Morgan of 33 Cambridge Place.
WW1 soldier, service number 8624, 2nd battalion, Highland Light Infantry.

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 February 17 23:20 GMT (UK) »
I quite liked this one. I think it's always interesting to have a mixed bag of stories which this certainly was.
;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 15 February 17 23:21 GMT (UK) »
I found myself being quite jealous when I spotted on one census that his Irish ancestor hadn't just written "Ireland" as the place of birth but had actually given more detail.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline annaS

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 15 February 17 23:27 GMT (UK) »
I do sometimes wonder about these shows.

I don't doubt the factual content, but after all they are made for our entertainment. Nobody wants to watch an hour of "Well, Miss Famous Person, you come from a long unbroken line of boring nonentities".

Do they research first and if interesting approach the celebrity, or approach first and then go hunting? Whichever way, I think that there must be a reasonably high failure rate.

Regards

I remember many years ago Michael Parkinson was up for grabs, and they found that his ancestry wasn't interesting enough.  So it would appear that a least a cursory research is done first.  Anna

Chas

Offline jan57

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 15 February 17 23:38 GMT (UK) »
[/I wanted to know what had happened to Dennis' family when he was 'on his uppers' in lodgings at his death.

quote]

Lucy    his widow  went  on to remarry  in 1926  in Croydon   and  died  in 1964  in Ashford Middlesex ,   Probate ( shown  on  Ancestry )  to  2  of  her sons  , one a hotel proprietor  the  other a clerk