Author Topic: WDYTYA Series 13: Warwick Davis  (Read 3600 times)

Offline AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
Re: WDYTYA Series 13: Warwick Davis
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 16 February 17 08:33 GMT (UK) »
Do they research first and if interesting approach the celebrity, or approach first and then go hunting? Whichever way, I think that there must be a reasonably high failure rate.

It was explained to me (by one of the show directors) that a large number of potential subjects are approached and agree to research being done into their past with a view to appearing.

Whether they actually make it to a show depends on:

a) there being something found that is of interest ( and preferably with an angle that hasn't featured before although that is now rather difficult), and:

b) being able to find a suitable gap in the subject's schedules for the filming - some  find it difficult to find time to commit to the number of days needed.

Some of the "subjects" may be in the research phase for a long time before a decision is made or a filming slot agreed.

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 16 February 17 10:52 GMT (UK) »
It was all pretty unexciting but - hey! - isn't that true of most of our family histories? A few minor skeletons in the cupboard (like bigamy! I've not come across that yet in my family but you never know!!!) but otherwise quite recognisable to us all.

I prefer this to all the 'related to royalty' rubbish but then, as a republican, I couldn't give a flying --- if someone's related to them or not. Infact, with so many so called celebs being 1,000,001th in line to the throne, it sort of makes my republican point for me!!

Anyway, jumping down from my soapbox, I enjoyed this one up until 10 minutes from the end when the singing started and it became rather obvious that the researchers had run out of material!!

Looking forward to the last two episodes as I really do think, on the whole, that this series has improved a lot, though I do wish they'd go back to the subject doing at least a little bit of the research instead of having it all handed to them on a plate.

A separate post has highlighted a programme on Radio 4 tonight at 11pm with left wing comedian Mark Steel looking for the story behind his adoption. Sounds interesting.
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 16 February 17 13:08 GMT (UK) »
I am sure they do check records thoroughly to make sure they are the right people but you do wonder "How do you know it is the right person" if the surnames are common such as Greg Davis' ancestry.

Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline Deer243

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 16 February 17 13:45 GMT (UK) »
I found myself being quite jealous when I spotted on one census that his Irish ancestor hadn't just written "Ireland" as the place of birth but had actually given more detail.

Same here, I wish my ancestors had been as thoughtful as his!
Dillon (Manchester, originally Ireland)
Duggan (Manchester, originally Ireland)
Marley (Manchester, originally Ireland)
Hogan (Tullamore, County Offaly, Ireland)
Reekie (Fife)
Elston (Brecon, Birmingham, Dorset, Devon)
Pearsall (Birmingham)
Kinninmonth (Fife)
Kinnaird (Fife)

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 16 February 17 14:49 GMT (UK) »
I rather enjoyed this gentle amble through Warwick's family history, and all credit to his mother for having all that research at her finger tips at the start. 

I think we are all prone to imagining what our ancestors were like and giving them a bit of character which may or not have been true.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 16 February 17 15:53 GMT (UK) »
I quite enjoyed this one, although I also wondered if the musician was actually the right chap, and as usual found myself yelling at the television "What about looking in the 1861(I think?) census??" and "Hold still ... go across and look in the last column..." and similar.
My feeling is that this whole series has been better than the preceding one where it all seemed to be about people playing at doing a job their grandpa - or even parent! had done! It seemed to do what we all do - push as far back via census records as we can... then ponder how best to get further back. It was nice to be spared the "Taking the results home and telling everyone about GGGfather's misdeeds" bit.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 16 February 17 16:09 GMT (UK) »
Yes I also would prefer it if they gave a birthplace of the person found on the census rather than just a name and occupation. I looked Fred Durban up myself and he was born in Brentford.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline StanleysChesterton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My G-grandmother on right, 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 16 February 17 18:24 GMT (UK) »
I thought the singing was most bizarre and "not really related/not relevant" - and Warwick looked as if he wanted to disappear.... chap at the piano was far too keen and eager to sing/play on the telly.  That'll probably end up in HIS family tree "there was some talk of your gg-gf being on the television...." and they'll imagine he was a wealthy celebrity :)

I think I'd have rather seen a walk to the pub where the "possibly a barmaid" and the Licensed Victualler lived/worked, even if that turned out to be the fish counter in a Tesco Express these days, than listen to that singing.
Related to: Lots of people!
:)
Mostly Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire, some Kent and Dorset.

Elizabeth Long/Elizabeth Wilson/Elizabeth Long Wilson, b 1889 Caxton - where are you?
- -
Seeking: death year/location of Albert Edward Morgan, born Cambridge 1885/86 to Hannah & Edward Morgan of 33 Cambridge Place.
WW1 soldier, service number 8624, 2nd battalion, Highland Light Infantry.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 17 February 17 14:46 GMT (UK) »
Oh yes, agree totally. I thought I'd noticed on the marriage cert for that pair (Barmaid & Licensed Victualler) on the programme that the address given for both was the same, wasn't it?
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)