Author Topic: peter harnett 1742 kent  (Read 3795 times)

Offline cathieee

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
peter harnett 1742 kent
« on: Thursday 16 February 17 03:47 GMT (UK) »
hi, have nt been on here for a while, hope this is in the right place

i m looking for the parentage of peter harnett born 1742, i think they are peter harnett and mary curling,they where married in 1736 canterbury and they had 6 children mary 1737, henry 1738, john 1740, peter 1742, elizabeth 1744 and mercy 1746 ( mercy is a family name on the curling side), all these children it says on ancestry birth info were born lydden kent, i ve looked up lydden and its not far from dover), but on some records it says lydden by ramsgate ?? which is nowhere near dover and does nt show up on any map

i ve looked up on some family trees on ancestry and they have my peter harnets dad being born jan 1721 in thanet, they also have him dying in thanet in 1779, whats confusing me is why all his children would have been born in lydden ??

in any for your opinions are these 2 lines the same family, thanks cathie :)

Offline redtonyt

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: peter harnett 1742 kent
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 February 17 07:17 GMT (UK) »
Cathie,

There is a Lydden which is a small hamlet lying (about half-way) between Ramsgate and Margate.  It is pretty well due south of Margate and to the north-west of Ramsgate.  I have attached a small map.  Sorry the map is too large.

Tony

Offline ray b

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 February 17 08:22 GMT (UK) »
hi
lydden records are on FindMyPast and some 1800s on free reg do not have a subscription now sorry
ray b

Offline cathieee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 February 17 13:22 GMT (UK) »
it says his father also peter harnett was married at st mary the virgin lydden, which is the lydden by dover ??, i ve googled it and thats all that comes up, also if this lydden by ramsdate is only a small hamlet would they have had the record addressed to there, or at the nearest town or church ??

thanks for replying

Offline redtonyt

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 February 17 15:25 GMT (UK) »
All the children mentioned in your initial posting were baptised at St Mary the Virgin, Lydden.  That is the one near Dover.  Quite why anyone one would think the children were from Lydden near Ramsgate, can only be explained by Peter Harnett snr. and Mary Curling being from St Lawrence.

When Peter Harnett married Mary Curling he did so by Licence, the detail from the Allegation were as follows,

Peter Harnett of Lydden (in the Diocese of Canterbury) Yeoman, Bachelor aged 30 years intends to marry Mary Curling of St Lawrence in the Isle of Thanet (ditto) Spinster aged 23 at St Lawrence or St Margaret, Canterbury.  Thomas Barrett, of the City of Canterbury, Victualler bonds.

Both Peter snr. and Mary left Wills which (for the sum of £3.45) can be downloaded from the National Archives, the Probated Version that is.

In all likelihood Peter Harnet (1706) parents were Peter Harnett and Thomasine (nee King) of Westbere.  They married (by Licence) at Westbere on 13 September 1694.  The Licence was dated 7 Sept.  The ages given were Peter 24 and Thomasine 22.  Peter was a Yeoman like his son.

I hope you find this of some use.

Regards,
Tony

Offline redtonyt

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 February 17 18:25 GMT (UK) »
A few more snippets,

Entries in the St Lawrence Parish Register,

Baptism
1706 Feb 2 Peter s/o Peter & Thomasin HARNETT

Burials
1776 Apr 16 Peter HARNETT 70y Dropsy
1783 Nov 10 Mary HARNET 73y Widow of Peter

Maybe useful.

Tony

Offline cathieee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 16 February 17 19:46 GMT (UK) »
http://trees.ancestry.co.uk/tree/61324244/family?cfpid=38357331088

dont know whether this works, but im totally confused.com

Offline cathieee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 16 February 17 19:48 GMT (UK) »
some trees on ancestry have the john curling mary kirby generation, and some dont have them at all, jumping to john curling and mercy long, would nt they be a bit old to be getting married in their 30 s ??

Offline redtonyt

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 16 February 17 20:30 GMT (UK) »
The link, I presume is to your tree on Ancestry.  Not sure if it will work for anyone who is not a member!  As, I am a member I can see the tree.

I am not certain what you are saying in your latest posting.  If I am looking correctly, the parents of Mary Curling were John and Mercy.  There were two Marys baptised to these parents, the first in 1709 (who presumably died) and the second was baptised on 20 March 1711.  Without spending too long on this (it looks like) Mercy's maiden name was Long(e).  Married by Licence, at St Lawrence on 17 January 1694.

Making assumptions on ages can lead to difficulties.  Not within my family but, that of a friend, married when he was forty and, it was only that he married by Licence in 1746, I was able to find his baptism in 1706.  No other tree has got beyond the baptism of one of his daughters!!!

Maybe I should not say this but, do not base your research on anyone else's tree.  Use it, if necessary, as an indication but, do all your own research and use original sources wherever possible.  One should also be wary of accepting the ages given on Licences, some are accurate but sometimes, economic with the actualite springs to mind.

I, and other Rootschatters are happy to help but, it is always easier if all known information is given, and specific questions are asked.

All the best,
Tony