Author Topic: Gilchrist Airlie Dickson, Newport  (Read 2078 times)

Offline Ratty2

• RootsChat Senior
  • Burg Crest Schleswig-Holstein
    • View Profile
Gilchrist Airlie Dickson, Newport
« on: Thursday 16 February 17 04:10 GMT (UK) »
Gilchrist Airlie Dickson died at Brighton, Victoria, Australia in 1934. He was a grazier, aged c59; thus making his birth c1875. One suggestion has it that he was born at Newport - but without specifying if that is in Ireland, England or Australia.  I have checked the 1881 Census for his name, but no result shows.
Your assistance would be gratefully received.
Schleswig-Holstein:- Rathgen; Rathjen; Oelkers; Behnke; Scheel; Rothgarn; Normanns; Scotland:- Lindsay

Online amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gilchrist Airlie Dickson, Newport
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 February 17 07:31 GMT (UK) »
I would try Australia first.
His death certificate states his father is Robert Dickson and mother is Charlotte Stevenson.

Robert Dickson married Charlotte Caroline Campbell Stevenson 1861 Victoria Australia.
children
Lillas Winifred Dickson registration number 9024
Alexander Campbell Dickson 16684
unnamed male 2535
unnamed male 2313
Mary Ann Stewart Dickson 2619
Charlotte Anna Campbell Dickson 2620

Gilchrist should be one of the unnamed male children.

His mother Charlotte Caroline Campbell Stevenson was born 15 September 1840 in Barony, Lanark, Scotland daughter of Patrick Stevenson and Charlotte Campbell.

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 February 17 08:54 GMT (UK) »
This is the Victoria, Australia, BMD Index for searching.
http://www.bdm.vic.gov.au/home/family+history/search+your+family+history/

I just typed all this up so will post - a couple more children, I think. And knowing the year of registration also helps.  If they were in essence a Scottish family, the names of the children could well be largely keeping to the tradional Scottish naming pattern:

BIRTHS: DICKSON
(Reg Year / name/ reg Nr/ mother (and her ms)
1862: Robert Patrick, 5542 - Charl (Stephenson)
1863: Alexander Campbell 16684 - Charlotte  (Stevenson)
1864: William Muirhead 21771, - Charlotte  (Campbell)
1866: Charlotte Mary Ann J , 21311 - Charlotte Cather (Campbell)
1868: Mary Ann Stewart 2619 - Charl Cath Cam (Stevenson)  ** (twin?)
1868: Charlotte Anna Campbell 2620 - Charl Cath Cam (Stevenson) (twin?)
1871: Lilias Winefred,  9024  - Charlotte  (Stevenson)
1872: Un-named Male, 23238 - Charlotte  (Stevenson)
1875: Un-named male 2313, - Charlotte  (Stevenson)
1877: Un-named male 2535, - Charlotte  (Stevenson)

DEATHS: DICKSON
1865: William Muirhead 1067 - Charlotte Catherine (Unknown)
1868: Alexander Campbell 1108 - Charlotte Catherine Campbell  (Stevenson)
1873: Charles Airlie, 1081  - Charlotte  (Stevenson)
1867: Charlotte Mary Ann, 1472- Charlotte Catherine (U)
1869: Mary Ann Stewart 4098 - Charlotte  (Stevenson)

The 3 unnamed male BIRTHS all register the VIC place of birth as : ESSENDON - not a million miles away from Newport VIC.

Based on the names of the children, I'd suggest Robert's own parents could be Robert DICKSON & Mary Ann STEWART.

The names of Charlotte's parents if in pattern, would be 1st daughter and 2nd Son; daughter's position is bang on, but it looks like they deviated a bit and put the 1st and 2nd son pattern name into the one name for first born son.   'Alexander Campbell' could be the name of a grandparent or brother of Charlotte.

Cheers
AMBLY

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline Ratty2

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 February 17 01:09 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both for checking out those entries. I examined the DC of Robert Dickson who died in 1892. His full name was Robert Patrick Dickson. This man's DC claims he died aged 30 years, that he had no issue, and that he was married to Grace Walton who was aged 26 years when he died. His wife was 26 years when he died meaning she was born 1866.
I shall continue to look for the father, Robert Dickson a Gentleman, married to Charlotte Stevenson in 1861.  It looks that his father was also named Robert, a squatter. Unless I am confusing these two men into one.
Many thanks
Schleswig-Holstein:- Rathgen; Rathjen; Oelkers; Behnke; Scheel; Rothgarn; Normanns; Scotland:- Lindsay

Online amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 February 17 05:53 GMT (UK) »
Variation in spelling but a good possibility
Try Robert Dixon died 1880 Victoria Australia aged 40.

Added: error that refers to a police report not a death, not necessarily the same Robert Dickson.

Online amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 17 February 17 06:40 GMT (UK) »
Is it possible that Robert was related to a Henry Dickson (1838- ?
They were also in Victoria- Henry married Lillias Fraser Black 1862 (born 1836-1913)
and Robert and Charlotte named a daughter Lillias in 1871 an unusual name.

Online amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 17 February 17 07:29 GMT (UK) »
Death records
Robert Dickson died 1885 parents listed are Rbt. Dickson and Mary Ann Stewart. registration #5000

Probate 28 May 1885 of Robert Dickson formerly of Victoria Parade Melborne but late of Spring Park Essendon died 9 April 1885 probate granted to Charlotte CC Dickson.

Offline Ratty2

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 19 February 17 08:39 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for all of those helps. I spent some time over the weekend checking up and found virtually all the information.
Gilchrist Dickson was indeed born 16 Dec 1874 at Essendon, along with all those siblings. He married Ada Elizabeth Brewer 21 Apr 1899  at Harefield, and they had two children.    
Gilchrist’s father was Robert Dickson, baptised 7 Aug 1874 at Inveresk Musselburgh, Scotland (now a suburb of Edinburgh) (source: findmypast and Victoria DC 1885/5000). Robert married Charlotte Stevenson in 1861 at Heidelberg, Victoria (MC 1861/725).  He died at Essendon having extensive properties around that area of Victoria. His Will leaves everything to his wife, Charlotte Caroline Campbell Stevenson; the Probate record of his will is on Prov records and values his estate at over £16,000.  The homestead he built was called Spring Park, Essendon – eventually sold in smaller farms in 1915. It may now be (need to verify) the site of Essendon airport, although a golf course was also built near by. The area is now more known as Airport West.
From Robert’s DC he had lived in Victoria for 39 years, which makes his immigration c1846, aged 21 years. A lengthy search of the Victoria, NSW immigration passenger lists and ‘Ships and Mariners’ lists for 1846 produced no result. A check through Trove’s online newspapers also failed to identify any Robert (or variant) Dickson – apart from letters yet to be claimed from the Post Office, which may or may not be his. Only found one “Mr Dickson” a passenger on the schooner Lillias that arrived with a cargo of sheep at Van Diemen’s Land 30 Dec 1845.
Robert’s father was also named Robert, and yes he was married to Mary Ann Stewart. Your comment on the Scottish naming customs clearly at work. I couldn’t find any further reference to this couple in the 1841 Scotland census. No matter. My mission is now achieved, thank you for your assistance – I have the date Robert (jnr) likely arrived in the Colony, if not the ship that brought him here.
Your comment of Henry Dickson may be a brother is interesting and may well be worth a follow up. I'll get back to about that later.
But for now at least you have been a great help and much appreciated.