Author Topic: Plumstead Cemetery  (Read 741 times)

Offline plan321

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Plumstead Cemetery
« on: Thursday 16 February 17 04:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I have a general inquiry about the types of burials in Plumstead. I have found the burial records for 3x grandparents - John Abramovitch  28 Nov 1939 and Ellen Abramavitch 29 January 1931. They were buried in the unconsecrated section. Would this be because they were Jewish?
They lived 54 Albert Road, East Ham, would there be a reason they were buried in Plumstead, it's not that nearby.
Thanks  :)

Offline Chris Doran

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Plumstead Cemetery
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 February 17 03:26 GMT (UK) »
Consecration is performed by a particular religion/denomination. In an public cemetery in England, this will usually be Church of England or Roman Catholic. Whilst I haven't explored it all, I haven't seen an area of obviously Jewish graves at Plumstead (Hebrew inscriptions, Stars of David, and pebbles rather than flowers), so it's most likely its consecrated plots are C of E and thus inapplicable to your Jewish ancestors. I think I've seen cemetery tariffs where unconsecrated graves were cheaper than consecrated, which would have been another factor for many people.

"Why were my London ancestors buried so far from home?" is an FAQ to which I've never seen a definitive answer. Well before the 1930s, cemeteries within the built-up areas of London were pretty well full, so most burials took place in the large cemeteries on the outskirts. Which one probably depended on where there was a timeslot available or maybe who was offering the best prices to the undertaker used. For "pauper" burials "on the parish", the Council would get the best price contract without caring too much about location.

As John is buried with 8 other people and Ellen with 6, there are probably "common" graves. As such they are less likely to be marked. Many sections at Plumstead have areas of bare grass, but there are scattered less-than-knee-height stones frequently used for such graves, so don't give up yet. The cemetery should have records of headstones as they usually have to be approved.
Researching Penge, Anerley, (incuding the Crystal Palace) and neighbouring parts of Beckenham, currently in London (Bromley), formerly Surrey and/or Kent.

Offline plan321

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Plumstead Cemetery
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 February 17 20:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the info Chris  :) Very interesting