Author Topic: Thomas Nicol - Sailmaker in Montrose during 1800s  (Read 5019 times)

Offline Hamish1964

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Nicol - Sailmaker in Montrose during 1800s
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 15:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Forfarian

Many thanks for that extensive assessment, very much appreciated.

Have to agree that the 1808 seemed young and he would be 11 years younger than Charlotte. I havnt found a death Cert for Charlotte. In fact I am struggling document wise around most of this part of the family at that time.

There is another Thomas born 1794, to George Nicol and Elizabeth Black.

Re Jane Sharps death certificate I believe that it is actually Thomas junior who is the informant, the entry is unclear. That would make more sense I know he was alive and later lived with their daughter.

The one thing I am absolutely sure about is the deliberate adding of the "L" to the name, it was one of the reasons I began this. It had been passed down my family that it had occurred, but I agree with you I have seen various spelling errors on many of the documents.

I have to say I totally agree with you re naming.

Thanks

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 16:17 GMT (UK) »
I havnt found a death Cert for Charlotte.
Have you definitely ruled out (i.e. looked at) the one ev suggested?

Quote from: ev
Not sure if you have seen these deaths on SP(age a little out) -
Charlotte Nichol age 72 , 1874 , Montrose Angus , 312/10.
Charlotte Gardyne age 72 , 1874 , Montrose Angus , 312/10.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Hamish1964

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 16:45 GMT (UK) »
No I havnt thats going to be my next step. I had initially ruled it out re spellings and ages etc. but can see the sense in it now.

Thanks

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 16:53 GMT (UK) »
I'll be interested to hear if it is the right one, actually.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 17:20 GMT (UK) »
The only official document Thomas appears on is Jane Nicol(l) (Sharp) death cert where he is the informant of her death, despite his son still being alive. No census records seem to have him recorded.

Hi Hamish,

Just had a quick run through your post.

I would be surprised if the relationship of Thomas is not recorded on that death cert?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hamish,

I forgot to ask if there were any surnames used as middle names, even if further down the line as that can be a great clue to their ancestors?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Hamish1964

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 19:18 GMT (UK) »
Forfarian, I will let you know once done.

Rosinish, The death cert for Jane Nicol(l) (Sharp) was interesting. It shows Thomas Junior to be her widower. But in the informant section it reads Thomas Nicoll (and what appears to be) father of widower. Now as it has been rightly pointed out that cannot be because Thomas senior had already died, plus he spelt his name Nicol not Nicoll (but we know about spelling issues). I am sure the informant is actually her husband Thomas Junior.

I'm glad you raised the issue of middle names, I was going to mention it:

I have both my grandmothers maiden names - Young and Ritchie
My father has one of his grandmothers maiden names - Young
My uncle (Dads brother) was Hutcheon
Their father had a middle name that from my searches seems to relate to his grandfathers brother in laws surname - Hutcheon
His father had the same middle name - Hutcheon
His father had a middle name that as yet I have not seen feature - Stewart. His brother in law ws a John Hutcheon, could be coincidence.
Then we get to the two Thomas' and no middle names identified.

Thanks

Thanks

Offline Hamish1964

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 19:37 GMT (UK) »
Forfarian

Just checked it and it is Charlotte Nichol widow of Thomas Nichol (Seaman), dated Jan 1874 and aging her at 72.
Informant is her son David, also shown as Nichol we can only guess whether he signed it or it was the registrar (Peter Duncan) who seems to appear on every document I read, he must have lived to a good age!!
Parents are shown as David Gardyne and Ann Gardyne (nee Kinnear), so I am happy that this all ties in with Charlotte Garden. On that basis the age of death is wrong, she would have been 77.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 19:42 GMT (UK) »
the age of death is wrong, she would have been 77.
Not quite! As she was born in March 1797, and died in January 1874, she would have been just a couple of months short of her 77th birthday.

Maybe Thomas was at sea on the date of the 1841 census? On the other hand, if he died at sea there would be no record to be found.