Author Topic: North Shields - Queen Alexandra Road West bomb 1943  (Read 1452 times)

Offline littleliz02

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
North Shields - Queen Alexandra Road West bomb 1943
« on: Thursday 16 February 17 20:24 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if anyone has any information or old photos of Queen Alexandra Road West, North Shields, or maybe could look up 1939 register to see who was living at number 105.
I am led to believe that the bomb hit this house and it was rebuilt and just wanted to see what the street looked like before 1943 if possible, or whether it is ust a rumour.

Offline Artkane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: North Shields - Queen Alexandra Road West bomb 1943
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 February 17 15:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
There is a book out called North Shields the bombing of a town. In it the Author Ron Curran tells a story of how he delivered newspapers in 1941. Queen Alexander Rd.West was part of his newspaper round but he does not tell of any bombs falling on the street. He does however tell of an air raid warden for the area called George Greenacre being killed in a bomb raid near Preston Colliery.The casualty list for the 1941 bombing (not complete)shows George Greenacre lived in Queen Alexander Rd.West.

Cheers

Offline Brendath

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 February 17 19:17 GMT (UK) »
According to "North East Diary 1939-1945 by Roy Ripley and Brian Pears which is on the internet. Alexandra Road North Shields had two HE (high explosive) bombs fall on it at 1am on the 25March 1943 just west of the junction with Hawkley Lane. The article makes no mention of casualties.

Offline littleliz02

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 February 17 11:42 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your help.  I was asked by a friend to look into this as she had been told her house on Queen Alexandra Road West ad been hit by a bomb, hence the reason why her home is different to the other in the street, her house in nearer the gunner end.  But looking at the responses and also research I have I cant find any mention of a bomb hitting the bottom end of the street, I have a picture of the destruction on Queen Alexandra Road, but looking closely at it it looks like the top end of the street near the college, which would be right if the bomb hit west of Hawkeys Lane.
Thank you so much for your hep.

Offline jon541

• RootsChat Member
  • William Preston M.R.C.S. (1823-1858)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 11:27 GMT (UK) »
You might find the following website very interesting.  It's certainly a credit to those who created it and there are even photos of the effects of the 1941 raids.

http://northshields173.org/story/
Preston in Newcastle (1770-1850) ; Brumwell - Weardale and Newcastle ; Wylie (Newcastle 1800-1870) ; Slaughter (Sussex and South Shields 1750-1850) ; Barkas (Newcastle 1750-1850) ; Redshaw (Medomsley and Newcastle 1750-1850) ; Simpson (Hamsterley 1720-1820) ; Anderson (Ryton 1750-1850) ; Chilton (Darlington 1750-1920) ; Pattison (West Tanfield, Bellerby, Northallerton) ; Sanderson (Hamsterley and Stanhope (1750-1850)