Author Topic: OFHS St Clement burials 1858 - 1883, missing?  (Read 1821 times)

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
OFHS St Clement burials 1858 - 1883, missing?
« on: Thursday 16 February 17 23:32 GMT (UK) »
The OFHS recordset of burials for St Clement, Oxford 1858 - 1883 appear to be missing on Ancestry.

If I search for a year in this range for 'Oxford', without any other search filters, I don't see any burials whatsoever for St Clement. However, they do list a recordset for 1858 - 1883. If I browse the images in the recordset it just shows burials from 1883 - 1938, despite the fact the page title states 1858 - 1883.

I'm not sure if I'm doing something stupid or if Ancestry has messed something up. Would someone mind double checking for me, before I get in touch with Ancestry?

Thanks.
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
Re: OFHS St Clement burials 1858 - 1883, missing?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 February 17 00:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi cuffie

It's the same for me too, your not doing anything stupid ;D

claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 February 17 09:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for checking Claire. I'll get in touch with Ancestry and see if they can sort it.
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 February 17 09:26 GMT (UK) »
Might be better to contact OFHS about it as there may be a reason why they are missing.  There are a couple of parishes where later registers aren't available and it turned out that they hadn't been deposited by the parish with the Records Office.  In any case, knowing Ancestry's attitude to missing data sets (never their fault), if there is no reason for the omission there is probably more chance OFHS may have more chance of getting the problem fixed.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll thank you all now, in case I forget.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 February 17 10:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for checking Claire. I'll get in touch with Ancestry and see if they can sort it.

Don't hold your breath on that getting sorted. They have done nothing at all for over a year now. >:(

I have informed Ancestry on many occasions of lumps of records being missing for other parish records, even though I have the transcripts on CD.

Steve. :)
Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.
Graham, Pimlott, Burgess from Cheshire and Lancashire area.
Acknowledgemets to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/  and  http://www.ofhs.org.uk/

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 17 February 17 14:35 GMT (UK) »
I'm not sure if I'm doing something stupid or if Ancestry has messed something up. Would someone mind double checking for me, before I get in touch with Ancestry?

Having spent close to two hours in our local library yesterday searching and browsing for an 1882 burial, I'm convinced it's an Ancestry error.  I have the OFHS transcripts for St Clement's and there's no gap in the burial records - that's how I knew this burial happened in the first place!  If you're doing something stupid, then so am I :o

As I'm sure you know, OFHS and OHC (Oxfordshire History Centre) worked together to scan all the available registers and they are all supposed to be viewable on Ancestry.  However Ancestry don't get any money from me so it would be pointless for me to complain.

Good luck, and let us know when (if) you get a response.

Carol

OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 17 February 17 15:53 GMT (UK) »
Don't hold your breath on that getting sorted. They have done nothing at all for over a year now. >:(

I have informed Ancestry on many occasions of lumps of records being missing for other parish records, even though I have the transcripts on CD.

Hence my suggestion to contact OFHS rather than Ancestry.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 17 February 17 18:21 GMT (UK) »
Well, with all this praise of Ancestry's competence I'll raise the issue with them and no doubt it'll all be sorted within the hour.  ;D

Raising the issue with OFHS is a good point and I will do so, although I think I'll first try sending Wendy (Iffley) a PM to see if she can look into it. And if I don't hear anything I'll contact OFHS directly.

Like Carol I have the OFHS transcripts on CD, which makes it all a bit frustrating as I know there are a number of burials in this time period for my ancestors and relations.

I'm sure I read that the scans are viewable at the OHC but does anyone know if this is just via Ancestry or do they have their own system?

Offline Iffley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 17 February 17 19:08 GMT (UK) »
Cuffie -

The OFHS recordset of burials for St Clement, Oxford 1858 - 1883 appear to be missing on Ancestry.

If I search for a year in this range for 'Oxford', without any other search filters, I don't see any burials whatsoever for St Clement. However, they do list a recordset for 1858 - 1883. If I browse the images in the recordset it just shows burials from 1883 - 1938, despite the fact the page title states 1858 - 1883.

Thanks.

Thanks for your report - and to others who've checked the situation.

Firstly - yes, the register exists (ie it hasn't gone missing since it was transcribed) and it's on our list as having been scanned.  Shelfmark is BOD198_B_53.

Possibilities are that Ancestry has loaded an incorrect set of scans against those dates - or it could be that the scanning firm scanned a different register twice, and that register not at all.  We carried out checks, and I would hope not.  I have the original scans here, so can look at what is there for BOD198_B_53.  However, I can't do so for a couple of hours for technical reasons.  Sorry!

Wendy
OFHS help desk