Author Topic: OFHS St Clement burials 1858 - 1883, missing?  (Read 1819 times)

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: OFHS St Clement burials 1858 - 1883, missing?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 17 February 17 20:30 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your help on this Wendy, it's much appreciated.
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 17 February 17 20:54 GMT (UK) »
cuffie81

How great to get such a prompt reply.

Claire :)
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Iffley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 17 February 17 21:43 GMT (UK) »
Cuffie and all -

The OFHS recordset of burials for St Clement, Oxford 1858 - 1883 appear to be missing on Ancestry.

Mysterious indeed!
Shelfmark BOD198_B_51 relates to 1840-1858

Shelfmark BOD198_B_52 isn't on the master scanning list

Shelfmark BOD198_B_53 relates to 1883-1938

So did B_52 sit lonesome on the shelf while its neighbours were picked for scanning? 

I need to talk to the archivists at Oxfordshire History Centre next.  If it has missed being scanned, we can rectify this. 

In answer to an earlier query - the images on view at OHC are the same as on Ancestry.  You would be allowed to call up the register to photograph entries, but that's not the ideal final answer to the situation.

On behalf of OFHS, thank you for bringing this to our attention, and we will continue to investigate.

Wendy
OFHS HelpDesk

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 18 February 17 09:23 GMT (UK) »
In answer to an earlier query - the images on view at OHC are the same as on Ancestry.  You would be allowed to call up the register to photograph entries, but that's not the ideal final answer to the situation.

All these positive developments while I was sleeping!  I had intended to contact OFHS today.

The images on view at OHC are in fact more extensive than those on Ancestry - at least they were when I visited OHC last June.  One of the archivists kindly helped me view the scans and I was able to find baptisms from the 1950s, for example.  Ancestry have imposed their usual date restrictions so they aren't showing baptisms after 1915 and marriages and burials have other cut-off dates.

The moral is - when in doubt, ask OFHS; which I am about to do on a separate issue.

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Online Iffley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 18 February 17 09:28 GMT (UK) »
CarolA -

All these positive developments while I was sleeping!  I had intended to contact OFHS today.

The images on view at OHC are in fact more extensive than those on Ancestry - at least they were when I visited OHC last June.  One of the archivists kindly helped me view the scans and I was able to find baptisms from the 1950s, for example.  Ancestry have imposed their usual date restrictions so they aren't showing baptisms after 1915 and marriages and burials have other cut-off dates.

The moral is - when in doubt, ask OFHS; which I am about to do on a separate issue.

Carol

You are indeed right with regard to the full date range of the scans; I was answering with regard to the topic of this thread - ie the missing nineteenth century burials.

Glad you appreciated OFHS's work in generating the scans and the viewer!

Wendy
OFHS helpdesk

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 18 February 17 09:54 GMT (UK) »
The work's certainly appreciated Wendy, no doubt about that ;D
Just wish I could get there more often, and maybe even meet some of you.  Unfortunately the bank account is still recovering from the last trip ::)

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Online Iffley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 18 February 17 10:00 GMT (UK) »
Carol -
The work's certainly appreciated Wendy, no doubt about that ;D
Just wish I could get there more often, and maybe even meet some of you.  Unfortunately the bank account is still recovering from the last trip ::)

Carol

Yes, it would have been good to meet - but I realise time when visiting is precious!  At least you can picture the History Centre, which it would be difficult to do without a visit!  To others reading this - it's in a converted modern church, built in the 1930s for the Morris car workers.

Wendy

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 18 February 17 10:07 GMT (UK) »
To others reading this - it's in a converted modern church, built in the 1930s for the Morris car workers.

Even better than that, my parents were married there and I was baptised there!
I'm going to PM you now about another parish.

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 18 February 17 21:52 GMT (UK) »
Wendy, thank you again for looking into this. I really hadn't expected you or anyone else to spend their weekend looking into it but I'm grateful never the less.

As for the scans I have found they've been great quality, so all credit to everyone at OFHS and OHC. Credit is due for the OFHS transcripts too. They were very useful prior to the scans and transcripts on Ancestry, and the OFHS transcripts are still proving more reliable than Ancestry's.

Re. viewing scans at the OHC, I had presumed the images were the same, it was how the images are viewed I was curious about. By the sounds of it OHC has their own viewer and doesn't rely on Ancestry for viewing the images. My thinking was that if certain scans do exist but they're not available on Ancestry (for whatever reason) I could always take a trip to the OHC (which isn't too far for me).
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson