Author Topic: Brick Wall -David Martin born c 1810 married Sarah Preston (nee Taylor)  (Read 2498 times)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Brick Wall -David Martin born c 1810 married Sarah Preston (nee Taylor)
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 18 February 17 00:35 GMT (UK) »
It seems that David must still have been around the Birmingham area in 1863 as he is a witness to the following marriage - his signature is virtually identical to that on his own marriage to Sarah Preston nee Taylor:

21 Dec 1863 St George's Birmingham
William Phillpot 30 Widower Dipper and Cleaner of 30 Court 3 House, Hospital Street. Father: Richard Phillpot, Dipper & Cleaner
Jane Martin, 28, Spinster of 30 Court 3 House, Hospital Street. Father: David Martin, Stamper

Witnesses: David Martin (signed) & Mary Martin (her mark)
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 18 February 17 00:46 GMT (UK) »
Oh my... he also signs at the marriage of Caroline Martin to Alfred Lees in 1867.

Caroline & Jane were the daughters of David & Hannah Martin.....
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 18 February 17 00:48 GMT (UK) »
David Martin & Sarah Preston  only had 2 children - David & Phoebe.  Sarah Preston was a widow with 3 children - none called Jane

The 1863 marriage shows Jane's father as David Martin so I wonder if she was the daughter of the "other" David Martin
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline fayl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 18 February 17 00:54 GMT (UK) »
Oh my such a lot to take in.

Is it possible David married and had children before he married Sarah.

Fay
Family name Preston (of Birmingham)
Husselbe (Shropshire), Harper (Claverley, Stoke, Warwick, Birmingham) Lloyd (Shropshire & Birmingham) Pitt (Birmingham) Francis (Shropshire) Lloyd (Shropshire & Birmingham). Taylor (Birmingham).  Mellon(Mallon), Convery, Atchison (Gateshead & Ireland).

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 18 February 17 00:57 GMT (UK) »
Is it possible David married and had children before he married Sarah.

He is a bachelor on the 1846 marriage cert
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 18 February 17 01:05 GMT (UK) »
Here are the three signatures:

They look like the same man to me, and if so then its looking like David was married first to Harriet (transported), then to Sarah (died), and then to Mary.

Offline fayl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 18 February 17 01:09 GMT (UK) »
Yes David is described as Bachelor when he marries Sarah but I am sure most of us have come across our ancestors lying when they marry.

Jomot I agree with you re signature on marriage certificate of Jane. Identical. Great detective work.

I have  come across the name if Mary Martin  (witness) previously. Only a couple of days ago in fact. She was a witness to the marriage of of either Mary Preston (married twice) or Sarah Preston - David martins step daughters.
Just going to check my info on them.

Fay

Husselbe (Shropshire), Harper (Claverley, Stoke, Warwick, Birmingham) Lloyd (Shropshire & Birmingham) Pitt (Birmingham) Francis (Shropshire) Lloyd (Shropshire & Birmingham). Taylor (Birmingham).  Mellon(Mallon), Convery, Atchison (Gateshead & Ireland).

Offline fayl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 18 February 17 01:19 GMT (UK) »
Can't find my notes but definitely come across the name of Mary Martin as a witness to a marriage within the family. Need to do a thorough search tomorrow

Thank you once again for your help. You are all stars.

Fay

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 18 February 17 01:25 GMT (UK) »
I'll see if I can find any more online as well.

Harriet Martin's details are on F M P - she was sentenced to 14 years transportation to Van Diemen's Land.  Included in the documents is a petition in which David states he is left with 6 children, all young, and that two are now incapable of moving from their beds. The youngest (aged 3) had a broken leg and the 5 year old had a broken thigh, and without their mother there was no-one to look after them.  Even the prosecutor in the case asked for mercy, but it seems none was given & she was sent to VDL on 12 Mar 1845 on the "Tory".