Author Topic: Scott family from High Bickington 1700's  (Read 788 times)

Offline Rap

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Scott family from High Bickington 1700's
« on: Friday 17 February 17 03:38 GMT (UK) »
I think that I have found my ancestors from Devon with the baptism of William Scott 10 Feb 1700 at High Bickington, Devon.  His father is listed as Thomas Scott Snr.  With no earlier baps. listed for High Bick., there is another cluster of folk named Scott to be found at an earlier date (1680) at South Molton, Devon. I am trying to establish if the folk at South Molton are the ancestors of the High Bick folk. Has anyone done research on this cluster of Scott folk? I can find a reference to one of the descendants of William 1700's brother, Thomas Scott Jnr, where the author states that 'this Scott family came from a very old Scottish family, and his ancestor came to England with the Earl of Mar around 1645, and the family consequently settled in the North of Devon.' If the South Molton Scotts are the ancestors of the High Bick Scotts, then this would eliminate them as the family 'arriving' to the area in 1645, and I will have to abandon this lead.  In papers outlining the English Civil Wars, I can find reference to a Major Scott (whose name was Thomas) and he is recorded as being a Royalist Leveller who was active in the various campaigns, but there is so very little else about him that is recorded, and I cannot establish if he was perhaps our original Scott to England. Any help would be just great.  Rap 

Offline peascott

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Scott family from High Bickington 1700's
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 May 17 11:33 BST (UK) »
Dear Rap.
Have just found your post re: Scotts, High Bickington.  We have done extensive research into this branch of the Scotts - my husband's family.  Thomas Scott, Maltster of High Bickington was the son of William Scott and Emleen Smythe of NORTH Molton.  His son William was a painter and did many of the heraldic hatchments to be found in Devon churches. We are descended from his son Charles who eventually moved to Cornwall.
William, North Molton came from High Bray and the family held the farm of Lydcott for many years.  They are also connected to the Scotts of Stoke Rivers.
We have never found any evidence that they are connected to Scotland although this is possible. They are unlikely to be anything to do with the Earl of Mar as they were in High Bray long before the date you mention.
Lydcott is mentioned in one of Walter Scott's novels and we have contacted the Walter Scott society but they know of no connection to Devon and are fairly certain that he never went there.
What is your descent from William?
Did you know that one of the church bells at High Bickington has Thomas' name on it?
Some of our tree is on Ancestry - you could contact us through that site if you like.