Author Topic: Grocer's shop, Canisbay, Caithness, mid-1800s  (Read 313 times)

Offline RoserAncestors

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Grocer's shop, Canisbay, Caithness, mid-1800s
« on: Friday 17 February 17 12:14 GMT (UK) »
My partner is (I believe) descended from Angus McLeod (abt 1789-1846) and his wife Jane McPherson (abt 1802-1874) who appear in the 1841-1871 censuses in Canisbay, Caithness, as merchants (1841 and 1851) or grocers (1861 and 1871). In the 1871 census Jane is described as living at "Grocer's shop".

I was wondering if any Canisbay locals have any idea what building was the grocer's shop in the mid-1800s and whether there are any photos of it if it still stands. I understand Canisbay to be quite a small place so perhaps (???) there may only have been one grocer's shop.

Many thanks if anyone is able to help.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline RoserAncestors

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Grocer's shop, Canisbay, Caithness, mid-1800s
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 February 17 12:16 GMT (UK) »
I should add that if anyone else is ever interested in the same family I am happy to send census images/death certificates etc.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.