Author Topic: Was it common for people to be baptized BEFORE they were born ? ;)  (Read 5788 times)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Was it common for people to be baptized BEFORE they were born ? ;)
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 20 August 17 20:28 BST (UK) »
I know of a case in my own family whether the father of the child was so excited he registered the wrong date which was later. The mother registered vthe next sibling and no doubt reminded him of his error for the next 30 years!! Like Last of the summer wine sometimes!
Similar to my family.
If the Queen can have an official birthday and an actual one why can't ordinary people.
Cowban

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 21 August 17 15:44 BST (UK) »
Why not indeed? Only problem would be we would have to pay for our own, as indeed we pay for the Queen's.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 14 May 20 00:30 BST (UK) »
The baptisms posted by kob were in chronological order on the pages in the register so I regard them as correct.
Civil registration of births was a recently introduced procedure then. Like dog licences. One of my GGF's missed one of each and was fined for not buying a dog licence.
I posted today on kob's other thread about births and baptisms. A family in Ireland who were friends of my dad's family had: a daughter's baptism predating official birthday; a son who was given a name at baptism but registered with a different name; a daughter not registered; a son with 2 birth registrations 3 months apart and consequently 2 official birthdays.   ??? The first of the double birth registrations was done by the mother, probably as soon as she was able to go to town; the father was informant at the second registration. 
Cowban