Author Topic: Help needed! What is the word just before "of this Parish" ?  (Read 177 times)

Offline candrjm

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help needed! What is the word just before "of this Parish" ?
« on: Friday 17 February 17 15:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I am trying to work out what the word just before "of this parish" for the groom in this marriage record is.

I have worked out that the image says Joseph Wade (then the word I can't read) "of this parish" widower  and Martha Grubb of this parish spinster were married in this church by banns  this twenty first day of November 1831

On almost all the other marriage records for this parish at this time there does not seem to be a word written before "of this parish" so I am wondering if this groom had a prominent role in the parish or maybe some unusual occupation.

Any help gratefully received.

Chris

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed!
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 February 17 15:33 GMT (UK) »
I think it may be Sojourner of this parish.

Sojourner = Temporary resident
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline candrjm

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed! What is the word just before "of this Parish" ?
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 February 17 16:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Geoff-E,

Thanks, that makes sense as I do know that Joseph Wade was not originally from this parish.

Chris