Author Topic: Newspaper search - 1893, Wisconsin or Chicago  (Read 1047 times)

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
Newspaper search - 1893, Wisconsin or Chicago
« on: Friday 17 February 17 23:39 GMT (UK) »
I found this article [Milwaukee Journal, 24 Nov 1893] a long time ago but I don't have any follow up article so I don't know what the outcome of the dispute was.  I no longer have access to any relevant newspapers in Wisconsin or Chicago.  Can anyone find an article which reports the result of the court case?  If not the Milwaukee Journal, other possibilities are the Appleton Post Crescent, the Oshkosh Daily Northwestern or a Chicago paper.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline knort33

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Newspaper search - 1893, Wisconsin or Chicago
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 14:12 GMT (UK) »
2-22-2017

I could find no mention of this case anywhere online, so I would presume that the results were not considered important enough to have been reported, since the will contest most likely was not successful.  If you wanted to order a copy of every page from this probate file to get an overview of the entire case, or if you wanted to just request the page in the file that shows the names of the beneficiary/beneficiaries who were paid, then you can inquire to see whether this probate file or file of the trial is available from the Archives Department of the Cook County Clerk of the Circuit Court in Chicago, IL at (312) 603-6628 or (312) 603-6601.  Some of the older files like this one may have been preserved on microfilm.

Offline usaPetticrew

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 March 17 23:50 BST (UK) »
Chicago Daily Tribune (1872-1922); Chicago, Ill. 01 Nov 1893: page 6, has an obituary for Cyrus H. Ware.

He died at his residence in Austin, October 29, 1893.  He was 80 years old.

He was buried:
Union Cemetery
Hortonville
Outagamie County
Wisconsin, USA

https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=ware&GSfn=cyrus&GSbyrel=all&GSdy=1893&GSdyrel=in&GSst=51&GScntry=4&GSob=n&GRid=48972855&df=all&

Petticrew, Pettigrew, Bedigrew, and all variants.

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 31 March 17 00:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks,  usaPetticrew.  I am aware of when and where he died and was buried.  It is the outcome of the contested will dispute that has escaped me.

Offline usaPetticrew

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 31 March 17 22:14 BST (UK) »
I found no newspaper article about the resolution of the case.  I did find the court documents here:

Ancestry.com database:   Illinois, Wills and Probate Records, 1772-1999

There are two items for Cyrus H. Ware:

Item 1, from  Executors bonds and letters, Book 11-12, 1893-1894.
Image 277 of 663; page 43 of the record book, probably Book 11.

Probate Court of Cook County, 24 November 1893.

Pertinent details and extracts of a document titled Letters Testmentary:

Stated that Cyrus H Ware died on or about 29 October 1893.

That he had made his last will and testament, leaving property in Illinois.

In the will, Laura E. Skeels was appointed executrix.

"...we do hereby authorize her the said Laura E. Skeels as such executrix to collect and secure all and singular the goods and chattels, rights and credits which were of the said Cyrus H. Ware at the time of his decease...and the law charge her and in general to do and perform all other acts which now are or hereafter may be required of her by law."

The Letters Testamentary also said a copy of the will and testament was "hereto annexed".  See item 2, below.

On this same page 43, there were also two other documents, Executor's Oath and Executor's Bond.  On the latter, Laura E. Skeels' address was given as 418 Walnut Ave., Austin, Ill.

Item 2, from  Record of wills, Book 16-17, 1893-1894.
Image 370 of 695; page 352 of the will book, probably Book 16.

It was a short will, and these are the pertinent details and extracts:

"I Cyrus H Ware of Austin Cook County in the state of Illinois being of sound mind memory do make publish and declare this my last will and testament hereby revoking all former wills devises and bequests by me made"

"After the payment of my debts funeral expenses and charges I give devise and bequeath to Laura E Skeels of Austin Cook County Illinois all my estate of whatever name title or description real personal or mixed."

He appointed Laura E. Skeels sole executrix.

No one else was named in the will.

The will was dated 29 March 1887.  The two witnesses were Henry D Ryan and Frank Scott Bradford, both of Appleton, Wisconsin.

The will was proved and admitted to record in open court, 24 November 1893, by Christian C. Kohesant (sp?), probate judge.

I did find two earlier newspaper articles about Ware's mental state:

Publication: Oshkosh Daily Northwestern May 10, 1884, front page, column 6, under "Wisconsin News".

"Application has been made at Appleton for the appointment of a guardian for Cyrus H. Ware of Hortonville, on the grounds that from excessive drinking he is no longer able to care for himself.  Ware is a man of considerable wealth.  The application is made by his son J.F. Ware of Fond du Lac."

Publication: Oshkosh Daily Northwestern May 1, 1884, front page, top of column 4.
"Cyrus H. Ware, a Wealthy  Citizen of Hortonville, Losses His Mental Grip."

This was a considerably longer article which included the information that, "...about one year ago, after a considerable amount of litigation, Cyrus H. Ware of Hortonville was divorced from his wife....this trouble was brought about by Mr. Ware's alleged intimacy with a certain  woman of Hortonville...."  It also mentioned his excessive drinking, and that he was under the charge of the sheriff.

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 31 March 17 23:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for that.  It is not what I expected to see and is going to take some further investigation.  I don't know who Laura E. Skeels was; I had expected to see someone named Susan.

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 01 April 17 21:52 BST (UK) »
It seems that Laura E. Skeels was Laura Elmendorf Skeels.  How she came to meet C.H. Ware [my gg-grandfather] and how she managed to extract the remnants of the Ware family fortune [such as they were after the ill-advised mining investments] is still a mystery.

It is amusing that Ms. Skeels seems to have written a very dubious genealogical account of the Joscelyn/Joslin family going back to around 1200 B.C.  [described as "inventive" by one commentator] and also to have attempted to claim ownership of a large part of Manhattan through an alleged 1666 royal land grant.

https://archive.org/stream/journalofamerica06natiuoft#page/524/mode/2up/search/skeels
https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/42269761/

Offline usaPetticrew

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 03 April 17 20:12 BST (UK) »
Newspaper:  The Fort Wayne Sentinel, 19-Nov-1909  Page 15

"New York, Nov. 19--Mrs. Laura E. Skeels, who has brought suit to recover money she asserts was lost through entrusting her affairs to Mrs. Augusta E. Stetson and Henry P. Toler....In an affidavit signed by Mrs. Skeels she declares that through her trusting Mrs. Stetson she invested considerable money in the "New Harlem" scheme which was planned to get possession of all the land on Manhattan island above 74th Street.  Toler is now an inmate in the asylum for the insane on Ward's island."

The alleged scammer got scammed herself.   And the story gets stranger yet.  See Skeels' testimony:
https://books.google.com/books?id=VW9hAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA101
Exposé of Christian Science Methods and Teaching Prevailing in the First ...
By Charles Giffin Pease

also:
https://books.google.com/books?id=VW9hAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA127

Here's the mentioned book, New Harlem Past and Present:
https://archive.org/details/newharlempast00pier

Here are some, if not all, of the New Harlem genealogies, Elmendorfs included:

https://books.google.com/books?id=FlEOAAAAIAAJ
Revised History of Harlem (City of New York): Its Origin and Early Annals, Prefaced by Home Scenes in the Fatherlands, Or, Notices of Its Founders Before Emigration. : Also, Sketches of Numerous Families, and the Recovered History of the Land-titles ...; by James Riker, Henry Pennington Toler

Read here about Augusta Stetson:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Augusta_Emma_Stetson
https://www.longyear.org/exhibits-archives-media/image-galleries/early-workers/augusta-e-stetson-%E2%80%9Cmadness-ambition%E2%80%9D

Nice digs:
http://www.beyondthegildedage.com/2012/12/the-augusta-e-stetson-residence.html

PBS did an episode of "History Detectives" about the attempt by Dutch heirs to reclaim Harlem property.  There is a transcript and program link here:
http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetectives/investigation/harlem-heirs/

So, you may not have the Ware family fortune, but you got a good story out of all this.