Author Topic: Kirk-Ireton and Long Eaton Baptisms  (Read 805 times)

Offline hilarybelton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Chasing Ancestors!
    • View Profile
Kirk-Ireton and Long Eaton Baptisms
« on: Saturday 18 February 17 00:28 GMT (UK) »
On 11 June 1781 two baptisms are recorded:

1 Joseph Cowlishaw, son of William, christened 11 Jun 1781 at Kirk-Ireton
2 Joseph Cowlishaw, son of Thomas, christened 11 Jun 1781 at Long Eaton, residence Kirk-Ireton

(I came across these when looking at how people delayed christenings until - apparently - they could arrange a joint baptism with relatives who might live up to 20 miles away)
These baptisms are on FS, Ancestry and FindMyPast. No images are available, so I followed the Indexing Project Batch Numbers back and found the following:

1 Joseph Cowlishaw, son of William, the listing shows that everyone in that batch (presumably lived at Kirk-Ireton) and was christened at Kirk-Ireton.
2 Joseph Cowlishaw, son of Thomas, the listing shows virtually everyone in that batch lived at Kirk-Ireton, but they were all christened at Long Eaton.

Does anyone know why 'half' the children of Kirk-Ireton would be christened at Holy Trinity, Kirk-Ireton, but the other 'half' would be christened at Long Eaton, which Google tells me is 21.9 miles away along modern roads! I have lots of other instances of people travelling far for whatever reasons, from the Wirksworth late baptisms, but this case is a bit different.

As an added extra, I haven't followed these two Joseph Cowlishaws back, but is there any way that they could be one and the same - that's what I will follow next.

Thanks in advance!
HARTIGAN, JOYNT, MULLAUGH, PIXTON, RENSHAW, DOOLEY, MEIR, HARRISON, LONGDON, MCNALLY, KENNY, KEATING, BELTON, CUMPSTON, WILLIAMS, PRICE, DODD, WILLIAMS, MOTTERSHEAD, WIGLEY, SALTHOUSE, BRADLEY, WALTERS, BRAIDWOOD, INGLES, MILLER, HESKETH, RALSTON, COLEMAN, ELLERY, WARBURTON

Offline peramar

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Kirk-Ireton and Long Eaton Baptisms
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 February 17 16:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi. Not sure if this will help you but I have the Kirk Ireton Parish Registers 1572-1910 on CD.

There is a marriage of a Thomas Cowlishaw to Hannah Mellor after banns on 15 Dec 1777 witnesses Samuel Cooper and Ellin Mellor.

Baptisms -

Ann 4 Oct 1778
Joseph 11 June 1781
Elizabeth 6 June 1784
Sarah 9 October 1785

There are no relevant burials recorded on the disc.

Please let me know if I can look up anything else for you in the Kirk Ireton Registers.

Peramar

Derbyshire, Hogg, Booth, Smithurst, Hill, Beastall, Steer, Slack, Litchfield,
Cumberland, Fletcher, Storey,
Beverley, Swaby, Cope
Barnsley, Harper, Rushforth. Barker, Foundhere, Gelder, Headen.
Lanarkshire Hart, Caufield, McKeown

Offline hilarybelton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Chasing Ancestors!
    • View Profile
Re: Kirk-Ireton and Long Eaton Baptisms
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 February 17 18:15 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I disappeared! Thank you so much for taking the time and for the extra information, but as it happens, and after months of revisiting these families, I found the missing Joseph in Lincolnshire of all places! Just proves that people really did get around!

Thanks for the offer, too, I shall certainly bear that in mind!
HARTIGAN, JOYNT, MULLAUGH, PIXTON, RENSHAW, DOOLEY, MEIR, HARRISON, LONGDON, MCNALLY, KENNY, KEATING, BELTON, CUMPSTON, WILLIAMS, PRICE, DODD, WILLIAMS, MOTTERSHEAD, WIGLEY, SALTHOUSE, BRADLEY, WALTERS, BRAIDWOOD, INGLES, MILLER, HESKETH, RALSTON, COLEMAN, ELLERY, WARBURTON