Author Topic: COMPLETED: What does 'F.S.'stand for in occupation of 13y/o girl in 1841?  (Read 4009 times)

Offline WideEyedGirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Great grandma Elsie (right) & sister Evelyn (left)
    • View Profile
COMPLETED: What does 'F.S.'stand for in occupation of 13y/o girl in 1841?
« on: Saturday 18 February 17 01:09 GMT (UK) »
Hello all,
First of all I hope I'm on the right forum as I wasn't sure whether to just post this on the Shropshire page.

I have an Emily Lewis, who was the daughter of Thomas Lewis and Sarah Tisdale. I looked for a 1841 census of them together (Emily was born in 1828 in Shrewsbury), and found one - only of Emily Lewis - she is living with some other people, listed at the bottom of their household. I do not know if her parents had passed away or were still living, and I don't know if Emily was related to this family she was living with in 1841.
The main thing I wanted to ask here was about an 'F.S' in the occupation part of the 1841 census next to her name. She is only 13 years old at this point. It lists the head of the family in this entry, with his wife and presumably his children, then Emily at the bottom.

Is this 'F.S' a reference to her relation? I was wondering if it could be a regular reference for something, like referring to her being a fostered child?

Many thanks for any help,
Holly
A Yorkshire girl tracing her ancestry.
Discovering that I'm not as English as my family once thought.

Ashforth | Watson | Smith | Davies | Beech | Matthews | Moxon | Heaton | Emmerson | Parkin | Cook | Venables | Perrins | Parsons | Whiteley | Blackburn | Badger | Cullen | McWeeny/McWeeney | Steventon | Walters | Copley | Chapman | Wild | Garrity | Blewitt | Larkin |

DNA Results: 40% Great Britain, 24% Scandinavian, 17% Western European, 15% Irish, 4% Iberian Peninsula.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: What does 'F.S.'stand for in occupation of 13y/o girl in 1841?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 February 17 01:17 GMT (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=389445.0

FS = Female Servant was the official abbreviation for the 1841 census only, it did not apply to later censuses

Stan

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline WideEyedGirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Great grandma Elsie (right) & sister Evelyn (left)
    • View Profile
Re: What does 'F.S.'stand for in occupation of 13y/o girl in 1841?
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 February 17 01:29 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that quick reply!
A Yorkshire girl tracing her ancestry.
Discovering that I'm not as English as my family once thought.

Ashforth | Watson | Smith | Davies | Beech | Matthews | Moxon | Heaton | Emmerson | Parkin | Cook | Venables | Perrins | Parsons | Whiteley | Blackburn | Badger | Cullen | McWeeny/McWeeney | Steventon | Walters | Copley | Chapman | Wild | Garrity | Blewitt | Larkin |

DNA Results: 40% Great Britain, 24% Scandinavian, 17% Western European, 15% Irish, 4% Iberian Peninsula.