Author Topic: Hannah Laycock married John Binks Kirklington 6 August 1797  (Read 557 times)

Offline anniecat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hannah Laycock married John Binks Kirklington 6 August 1797
« on: Saturday 18 February 17 12:11 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if anyone is able to help me trace Hannah before her marriage?  I am completely stuck! Her husband John Binks I believe was born in Scruton (baptised in 1772 s/o Matthew and Mary) and died in 1854.  They settled in West Tanfield and had 8 children: Mary, Ann, Matthew, Elizabeth, Jane, John, William, Hannah.  Hannah the mother died in 1821.

Whilst most Hannah Laycocks seem to be baptised in the Keighley/ Kildwick area (and I have ruled out some of these), it seems more likely that she was born nearer to Kirklington and there are three from a closer geographical area.  Of these I can rule out two:  1) Hannah d/o John and Rebecca born Fingall parish 18 July 1776; died 17 July 1782 (Quaker records);  2) Hannah d/o William & Hannah born Finghall parish 6 October 1784 married Jeremiah Whalley at Aysgarth 27 August 1806 (Quaker records).  Which leaves me Hannah d/o Jonathan Laycock of Thornton ch 29 Dec 1776 at Aysgarth.

Hannah had sisters Alice and Peggy baptised in 1779 and 1782 at Aysgarth d/o Jonathan and Mary.  Mother Mary was buried there 9 July 1783 and Jonathan married Mary Robinson (both of Thornton) at Aysgarth on 28 October 1783.  I cannot find Jonathan's first marriage and lose track of the family altogether after 1783.

Can anyone shed light on my mystery? I should be grateful for any ideas.  Thank you.