Author Topic: Ancestry family trees  (Read 1235 times)

Offline BUZZ

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ancestry family trees
« on: Saturday 18 February 17 12:56 GMT (UK) »
If when looking for a family tree on Ancestry, the page says this page is temporarily unavailable try later does this mean that at some stage the tree may come back online, or would Ancestry let you send a private message to the owner of the tree if the tree did not come back online.

Buzz

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry family trees
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 February 17 13:09 GMT (UK) »
Depends, occasionally it appears if you refresh the page. Often though it means the owner has changed their tree from public to private so you can't see it until you contact the owner. As long as you have a subscription and know the name of the tree owner you can contact them and hope that they will reply. I don't think if you are using the free weekend access that you can do this. Of course, it could also be that the owner has deleted their tree from Ancestry!
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BUZZ

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 February 17 13:16 GMT (UK) »
Thank you groom for your answer I will try to contact the owner of the tree.

Buzz

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 February 17 15:14 GMT (UK) »
"Temporarily Unavailable" usually means that their system is currently overloaded, so they are not processing all the requests that come in.

They deal with requests in a reasonable way; if you have just done a search then you are likely to get the request for one of the found records dealt with. If you spend a while trying to figure out whether any of the returned entries are relevant then someone else's request may get in front of you. In addition, record searches are likely to have a higher priority than tree searches.

Rather than just stalling, they return the "Temporary" message.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 18 February 17 18:40 GMT (UK) »
"Temporarily Unavailable" usually means that their system is currently overloaded, so they are not processing all the requests that come in.

They deal with requests in a reasonable way; if you have just done a search then you are likely to get the request for one of the found records dealt with. If you spend a while trying to figure out whether any of the returned entries are relevant then someone else's request may get in front of you. In addition, record searches are likely to have a higher priority than tree searches.

Rather than just stalling, they return the "Temporary" message.

Especially weekends like this one when there is free access to Ancestry!  ;) ;)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline weste

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 19 February 17 10:33 GMT (UK) »
Yes try and contact the owner because some people go on the site several times a day and some rarely go on.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 19 February 17 10:44 GMT (UK) »
It may be that the tree has been removed by the owner.  I've had that message on some but not others when viewing at the same time so its unlikely in that situation to be a site resource issue or I would have got it on the others.  And revisiting at other times got the same message on the specific tree.  They used to return a more suitable message when trees had been removed, something along the lines of it being removed by the owner, but I've noticed recently this now never seems to appear.  If an existing tree has been changed from public to private, you will just be sent to the normal private tree page for the individual.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day