Author Topic: Thomas SOMERVILLE/Margaret GILCHRIST and a son John  (Read 2045 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas SOMERVILLE/Margaret GILCHRIST and a son John
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 19 February 17 00:06 GMT (UK) »
The other item of note is that Martha Hislop, wife of John Penman, was a resident of Adamsrow when she died Sep 7 1832.
I'd be very surprised, in that case, if John Penman and Martha Hislop were not the parents of Janet Penman.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline aodh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 19 February 17 19:09 GMT (UK) »
I did find that interesting mapping tool which looks from historic maps right up to present day aerial images which are all georectified.
http://www.scottish-places.info/counties/countymaps12.html

Also found an interesting site on the Adams Family of Adamsrow.
http://www.adams-of-adamsrow.com/

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 19 February 17 20:16 GMT (UK) »
Ray, thanks for the note on Scotlands Family site. Hopefully will come back up soon.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline NT140

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 15:04 GMT (UK) »
Is anyone familiar with this family? Looking to connect with anyone who might be able to confirm my suspicions about John parentage. John was a collier. John was identified as of "Miller Hill" in 1826 when son Richard was born and of "Adamsrow" in 1829 when son John was born.

A search of O.P.R. Marriages birth records from 1770 - 1790 in Midlothian, reveal three births for a John Somerville. A similar search for "John Sommerville" had no returns. The following record for John Somerville, born June 11, 1773, son of THOMAS SOMERVILLE/MARGARET GILCHRIST (FR573) of Newton, Midlothian, GROS: 696/00 0020 0184 is the most likely candidate.

Thomas was schoolmaster in Newton. He was born Nov 23 1743 at Inveresk, Midlothian and married Dec 7 1770 to Margaret Gilchrist (born Dec 28 1749 at Newton, Midlothian) Margaret was the daughter of Rev. David Gilchrist (1721-1770) and Elizabeth Moffet (1729-1751) whose father was Rev. Thomas Moffet.

Thanks for your help.

I am stuck at the same point with a John Somerville.

I am looking at the same family trying to trace the parents of a John Somervillewho married a Janet Christie 08 Aug 1786. In the parish marriage registery  John Somerville which William Gilchrist (maybe this is a brother,might help). You may find Somerville, Sommerville and Somervill useful searches. I find many more Johns Somervilles, two in Newton!!!

Please update if you find anthing else.

Happy to share any findings.

Regards,
Neil