Author Topic: 1939 Register - a question about the compilation of the Register  (Read 2617 times)

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
Re: 1939 Register - a question about the compilation of the Register
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 19 February 17 12:21 GMT (UK) »
I have 3 umarried sisters missing in 1939-we know their address in Ealing.
Find My Past tells me that a whole page is missing,houses number 814-840 and they lived at 832.

But that was in March 2016,and we are no nearer getting them added  >:(

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 19 February 17 15:19 GMT (UK) »
These recent comments are making me feel much much better! I was wondering if I'd lost the plot.
I was also surprised to find some of our lot - another twig - open when they should be closed as they are very much still alive, but I know from other threads on here that that is an ongoing issue.
North East of England

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 19 February 17 16:52 GMT (UK) »
These recent comments are making me feel much much better! I was wondering if I'd lost the plot.
I was also surprised to find some of our lot - another twig - open when they should be closed as they are very much still alive, but I know from other threads on here that that is an ongoing issue.

The transcribing wasn't done line by line,but column by column(downwards) and it seems as though some have become a bit mixed up  ::)

Offline RRYFS

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 12 April 17 21:39 BST (UK) »
The address where my parents were living is just not there, and when I queried it with FindMyPast, the response was only generalisations about closed entries. There was no interest that a number of houses in their street did not appear.
Leicestershire - Yates, Wright, Pole, Blakesley
Dorset - Tilley, Hunt
Dorset/Somerset - Rogers
Dorset/Southampton - Trodd

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 12 April 17 21:56 BST (UK) »
I had the same problem with my grandparents - I knew that they were at that address in 1939 but they and their neighbours were missing. I e-mailed FindMyPast and insisted that they were definitely there and should be opened as they were born in the 1880s, they did look again and opened it. However for some reason my grandmother is still missing!
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online ReadyDale

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 12 April 17 23:00 BST (UK) »
In addition to the previous comments, whilst the father may already be in the forces, mother and children may have been evacuated. My dad, aunt and gran were well away from where they traditionally lived. Fortunately, I knew roughly where they'd been sent, so recognised it was them when they showed up there.

Offline Nanna52

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Edwin WB Vincent, my actor, (1881-1940)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 12 April 17 23:59 BST (UK) »
I had similar problems with a cousin and his wife.  Eventually found her at an address I knew they had been at.  Her birth year had been transcribed as 1871 instead of 1891.  I later discovered that he was not on it as he was a merchant seaman. 
James -Victoria, Australia originally from Keynsham, Somerset.
Janes - Keynsham and Bristol area.
Heale/Hale - Keynsham, Somerset
Vincent - Illogan/Redruth, Cornwall.  Moved to Sculcoates, Yorkshire; Grass Valley, California; Timaru, New Zealand and Victoria, Australia.
Williams somewhere in Wales - he kept moving
Ellis - Anglesey

Gedmatch A327531

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 16 April 17 17:24 BST (UK) »
My family's entry is completely mixed up. They have named a man lodging at the house next door as the head of the household, so the address is under the wrong name. My father is on there, but my mother isn't, they were both born in 1901 so should be there. My eldest brother is not on, but my younger one is, but the whole household is transcribed out of step.
 My sister is on as a child under school age, when in fact she went to school and I am on even though I'm still very much alive. I am the one who was under school age but I have been entered as a 30 year old Domestic science teacher.
My mother and father ran it as a small guest house and we had six guests in that night, including the domestic science teacher. The point is though, that those six people will be missing from their family's entry and after all this time they will have no idea where to find them.
I just hope in the future, people searching for their ancestors don't use the 1939 register, because there are going to be some very mixed up family trees.
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 16 April 17 17:30 BST (UK) »
It is possible to report to FindMyPast that they have the transcript mixed up and they will change it.  Most of the problems with your family entry probably appears like that as it was transcribed in downward columns so that no one that was transcribing viewed the whole entry on any one person.