Author Topic: What happened to Frank Porteus  (Read 4841 times)

Offline Thornwood

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
What happened to Frank Porteus
« on: Saturday 18 February 17 20:13 GMT (UK) »
Frank Porteus, born in York in 1909  married  to Marjorie ?  lived at 12 Grassmere Rd Blackpool UK.  He and his wife emigrated from Glasgow docks on 13 th May 1949 to Australia, docking in Sydney aboard the P&O ship Empire Brent. I have found the outbound passenger list giving these details.
The family in the UK heard nothing more about him.  When his sister died in the 1980s a man was at the funeral but left quickly afterwards. Family members wondered if Frank had returned.
Any information about what became of Frank and if indeed he did return to the UK would be greatly appreciated by the family. (my next door neighbours).
Many thanks

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to Frank Porteus
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 February 17 20:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Frank was recorded as age 42 when he departed Glasgow on the Empire Brent in 1947 so born c1905 and a carpenter. His wife Marjorie age 45.
There is a marriage for a Frank Porteus to a Helen  Hardy in York 1929. Did they divorce/ separate and he formed a new relationship with Marjorie or did she change her first name from Helen to Marjorie or is this a different couple altogether?

FreeBMD birth reg Frank Porteus June 1/4 1907 York

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 February 17 20:58 GMT (UK) »
Marjorie and Frank are on theNSW electoral roll 1945 at 136 WarnersAve Bondi. He is a storekeeper.
They are still there in 1958 and 1963
In 1977 they are in Queensland at Cathne Street Cooee bay. No occupation given

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 February 17 21:05 GMT (UK) »
In 1980 there is a Frank and Marjorie Porteous living at 4 Bull Street Downer Australian Capital Territory and there is  also a Marjorie Porteous listed in the ACT in 1977 but no Frank.

On findagrave
Marjorie Porteus
Died 31 May 1992 buried Wednesday 3 June 1992
Gungahlin Cemetery Mitchell, Canberra, Australian Capital Territory

I think the shipping record you have is their second trip to Sydney because they give an address of Flat 2/24 L......K Street. Mosman Sydney

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 18 February 17 21:16 GMT (UK) »
On findagrave

Frank Porteus
Died 6 June 1991 buried Tuesday, 11 June 1991
Gungahlin Cemetery, Mitchell, Canberra, Australian Capital Territory

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 18 February 17 21:38 GMT (UK) »
Sorry this isn't relative (no pun intended) to your query but do you know who Frank's parents were please?

I have a mutual root hunter friend descended from Porteous (variant) & wondered if there could be a link to suggest to him?

His family were descended from Scotland although they seem to be possibly French or other originally?

I can't remember for now.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 18 February 17 21:47 GMT (UK) »
http://www.ryersonindex.com
PORTEUS, Marjorie; Death 31MAY1992; Canberra Times 02JUN1992   

Offline Thornwood

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 18 February 17 21:51 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much crisane for your swift replies. As usual with our ancestors there are some red herrings there but which are my Frank I don't know. The shipping information I had was for 1949 and he gave a Blackpool address, could this have been just a place he was staying, perhaps he came back intending to stay but decided to return.  You have an address for him in Bondi four years earlier, so had my Frank gone to Australia before '45 or do we have two Frank and Marjorie Porteus?
The couple also seem to have moved around quite a bit. I don't know too much about Australian geography but isn't Queensland a very long way from Canberra?  You have certainly given me lots to work on so thanks again for your help.

Offline Thornwood

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 18 February 17 22:03 GMT (UK) »
Just read your message Rosinish.
Frank's parents were Robert and Martha Porteus.  They were both born in York and the previous two generations also came from there.  Frank had three sisters: Violet, Doris and Nora.
From research I done on the Porteus name the family came over from France in the 1400s and settled in the Lowlands of Scotland.  One English Porteus family came back from Virginia to York in the early 1700s. They had nineteen children. The most famous of those was Bielby Porteus who became Bishop of London and worked with William Willberforce in the abolition of slavery. He also played a large part in the Sunday observance law which wasn't changed until 1995 when the Sunday Trading Law was introduced.