Author Topic: Barbados British West Indies  (Read 723 times)

Offline honeybun

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Barbados British West Indies
« on: Saturday 18 February 17 23:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am looking for information on births, marriages and deaths in Barbados between 1910 and 1920 for James Phillips and Ivy Noel.  Ivy was born in Somerset, Barbados and married James Phillips who was also born on Barbados (don't know where).  Ivy lived on her uncle's sugar plantation until she was eight, when she went to the U.S.   They had four children, Rosamund in 1912, Ruby born in 1920 on board ship en route for England, and two boys Kem and Noel between those two dates.  At the time Ruby was born, their abode was given as New York, and James' occupation was "hallman".  Does anyone know what this job is?  James died in Barbados in 1920 and Ivy died sometime between 1970-75 in the U.S.  From Google I have found that the Noel family was one of the first to buy plantations in Barbados and the family history goes back to England in the 1660's.

I hope someone might be able to help.

Thanks.

Honeybun 
Buckett, Woolton: Kent
Buckett: Hampshire and Surrey
Taylor: Wigan
Preece: Herefordshire

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Barbados British West Indies
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 February 17 23:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Hallman could have been something to do with a hotel maybe? He was a bellman in a hotel in 1920.

Eighth Avenue
Manhattan assembly district 22 New York
Phillips James H m w 32 m 1910 born Barbados, father born Barbados, mother born Barbados, Bellman Hotel
ditto Ivy f w 30 m 1911 born Barbados, father born Barbados, mother born Barbados
ditto Rosamund dau f w 6 s born New York
ditto Noel son m w 5 s born New york
ditto kempson S son m w 10712 s born New York
Wall, Kempson boarder m w 28 s 1909 born England, father and mother born England, Elevator operator Hotel
Fenty George cousin m w 1 11/12 s born new York, father born Barbados
Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 February 17 00:21 GMT (UK) »
Ivy's naturalization papers are dated 5 May 1937  and give the following

Ivy McConney
address 564 W. 149th St.
occupation hwife
date of birth 8th Oct 1889 at Hillourick BWI
Emigrated to USA from Bridgetown BWI on or about 27 Sept 1921, arrived at NY on 5th Oct 1921 on the vessel Aváre
Married to Joseph, born 19th Jan 1887 at Barbados BWI
Four children
Rosamond born 1 June 1913 NY resides with Ivy
Noel born 16 Aug 1914 NY resides BWI
Kempson born 5 Mar 1919 born NY resides BWI
Ruby born 18 Apr 1920 BWI resides BWI
Married 26 June 1926 New York
Husband naturalised 25 Sept 1919
Ivy resident in US since 5 Oct 1921

and then there is an earlier "declaration of intent"

Ivy Rosamond Phillips aged 34
Ladies maid
color white, complexion fair, height 5 feet 5 inches, weight 110 pounds, hair brown, eyes brown
Born Hillswick Village, Barbados BWI 8 Oct 1889
Now residing 2762-8th avenue
Widow
Arrived 5 October 1921

The passenger list for 5 Oct 1921 gives her father as John Noel, Hillswick Village, St Joseph
and Rosamund was traveling with her.

WW1 draft card
James H Phillips
Home address 431 W 45 st NY
date of birth 12 Feb 1888
Born Barbados BWIndies
Occupation Waiter
Employed by Lambs Club, 130 West 44 st, NY
Support wife, mother, 2 children
Married

and there is a declaration of intent (index only) giving his name as James Harfield Phillips

and a baptism

James Daniel Harfield Phillips
13 May 1888
Barbados
Father, James Bend Phillips
Mother, Amelia Grant Gibson
FHL Film No 1158014, ID 1007

Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

Offline honeybun

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 February 17 11:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gardener

Thank you SO much for all the information you have sent me, and so quickly.  I'll be able to start a tree now I have something to work on. 

With regard to the occupation listed on the certificate as "hallman", maybe this was just bad handwriting in the register and whoever typed it up on the certificate I received wrote "bellman" as "hallman".  I've had this happen to me before with certificates, and as he worked in an hotel I would think this is possible.

Is there anywhere else I can look for information on the population of B.W.I. in England or on the internet?

Thanks once again.

Honeybun. 
Buckett, Woolton: Kent
Buckett: Hampshire and Surrey
Taylor: Wigan
Preece: Herefordshire

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 February 17 12:10 GMT (UK) »
Hall man seems to have been an actual job. https://books.google.bs/books?id=9Yh6BPjQrQUC&source=gbs_book_other_versions_r&cad=4 search for it - it is on page 199. I think we forget how many staff hotels used to have!

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 19 February 17 12:25 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, I don't know anything much about Barbados. It is probably quite difficult for research, with records all kept locally. https://familysearch.org/wiki/en/Barbados_Genealogy

If you can get to a library with free access to Ancestry, somebody has a tree on there with quite a bit of detail about this family. Going back from Ivy's parents quite a way, though obviously everything needs checking out.

Looks like it will be fun for you to do :-)