Author Topic: Seeking Thomas Ward Jr ex. Ward family of “Langridge Farm”, Crediton, Devon.  (Read 4493 times)

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking Thomas Ward Jr ex. Ward family of “Langridge Farm”, Crediton, Devon.
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 25 February 17 11:25 GMT (UK) »
Sorry
Yes I must have missed him.He's also at Sandford 5.4.1851 age 37

Ciderdrinker

Offline Arachne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking Thomas Ward Jr ex. Ward family of “Langridge Farm”, Crediton, Devon.
« Reply #10 on: Monday 27 February 17 20:50 GMT (UK) »
Have found a record of the death of Thomas & Eizabeth (nee Huggins) Ward's youngest son, who it appears was named George Huggins Ward. He died in the 1st quarter of the year 1891, registration district St George Hanover Square, London.

Also found mention of the London-based wine business owned by John Ward. By 1871 he was running this business in partnership with his oldest son John Micklem Ward. In 1886 John Snr retired leaving the business to his son. The business was styled at this time “Ward & Son, Wine, Spirit, Beer, and Cyder Merchants” at Cushion Court, 10 Old Broad-street in the city of London and 20 Weston-street, Bermondsey (Southwark). Cushion Court possibly his offices and Bermondsley the factory
Notice of dissolution of partnership between John Ward and his son 
“London Gazette” Feb. 5, 1886
https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/25556/page/575/data.pdf

John Micklem Ward seems to disappear from record after this time - no sign in 1891 Census, or marriage noted. In 1881 he was a bachelor of 31 living at home with his parents, so may never have married. John Ward's youngest son, George Elias Ward (1859-1923), is recorded as manager of a beer bottling firm in 1911, but this is most unlikely to be the same business.

Whether the business run by John Ward and his son is the same one owned by John's older brother William and run by his younger brother George by 1851 is unclear. Haven't been able to answer that question, but as George was a wine merchant employing 23 men in 1861 he may have been running his business concurrently with his brother John's so perhaps there were two separate businesses. John was definitely well-established as a wine merchant and doing very nicely when he bailed out his sister Elizabeth after the death of her husband Edward Fearon in 1869.

One point of interest is that George H was livng at Forest Hill, Lewisham in 1861 and this same area is where George Elias (youngest son of John & Caroline (nee Micklem) was born, so John Ward Snr and his younger brother George Huggins Ward must have been living in close proximity at that point.

Offline Whattinger

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 08 March 18 17:45 GMT (UK) »
I am new to this and not sure when you had this very interesting chat about the Wards of Crediton.
I hope someone out there is still active on the Wards issue.
I have stumbled into this because of an interest in Ann Ward (B. 27/12/1819) - the daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth.  My information is that she did not die in 1824.  That must be another person, or a daughter who died young and was followed by a second "Ann Ward" in the same Family.
I found her living as a 'sister' in Marlborough Terrace, Kensington in the 1851 census.  The 'Family Search' version of the Census cannot be manipulated easily to show the previous page, so I struggled to find out who was Head of the household (it's on a previous page in the original Census) and, fortunately, this thread has shown that it is William Ward jnr., the wine merchant, although he does seem to appear in several places at the same time.  Given that he was dying and about to return to Crediton, this is perhaps understandable.
Living in the same house were visitors Jonathan Henry Price (b 1818 at Shoreditch) and Hannah Maria Price (b 1790 at Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire).
By way of confirmation, on 16 Oct 1851, I found, in the British Newspaper Archive, a marriage between Jonathan Henry Price and Ann Ward at Camberwell, Surrey where she is 'daughter of the late Thomas Ward of Sandford, Devon'.
This Jonathan Henry Price (b. 1818) is a fascinating character. He was a reverend in the Congregational Church and head of a congregation at Woodham Ferrers (sometimes Ferris) in Essex from about 1840 to 1849.  In 1849 he was charged with attempted murder, commuted to desertion of a child, after abandoning the offspring of a woman called Priscilla Ruffell in a basket in a field.  He was lodging with the woman's aunt, Jane Wilkinson (nee Ruffell) and uncle George Wilkinson at Woodham Ferrers at the time.  The assumption was that he was the father.  The court case makes fascination reading.
The upshot was that he was sentenced to 12 months' imprisonment. Priscilla was sentenced to three months'. Shortly after release, he pops up at Marlborough Terrace and his reputation appears intact!
Incidentally the child survived and was brought up by Priscilla as John Ruffell, although she married a James Staines and raised another family.
Having married Ann Ward, Jonathan Henry Price produced two (more?) sons, George (b 1854) and Henry(b 1856) Ward-Price, at Woodham Ferrers.  He then moved to Billericay, Essex and founded a school in a building called Burstead House.
He also made friends with another of my relatives, called William Ruffell (1806-1882) and was welcomed into the community. He held the office of assessor of taxes for the parishes of Great and Little Burstead for many years. He was also secretary to the Lighting inspectors, and a director of the Town Hall Company and the Billericay Building Society. Being Congregationalist, he for number of years worked most energetically as secretary to the Chapel and superintendent of its Sunday School.
Ann Price (nee Ward) died in Burstead House in 1861,  Jonathan Henry Price remarried, in 1863, an Elizabeth Trenaman (b1839) and produce three further daughters:- Elizabeth Jane (b1864) Anna Maria Price (b1866), Edith Mary (b 1868). He died in March 1894 in Billericay.

Returning to Ann Ward's two sons:

- George Ward-Price(b 1856) died early in his life on 3 Aug 1883, and I don't think he had children or married.

- Henry Ward-Price (b.1854) became a clergyman and took up duties in Chester, and then Stockport.  He died soon after his father in November 1894.  He had married, in 1884, Sarah Emily Lewis and produced four children:

George Ward-Price (1886-1961)

He attended St Catherines College Cambridge; became a war correspondent for the Daily Mail in WW1; became a Director of the Daily Mail and friend of Lord Rothermere and (notoriously) befriend Adolf Hitler, Joseph Goebbels, Oswald Mosely and Benito Mussolini!  There are pictures to prove it!

Henry Lewis Ward-Price (1888-1963)

He attended St Catherines College Cambridge, joined the Civil Service and became a prominent Colonial Administrator in Nigeria.  He wrote about his experiences and books on the Yoruba language.

Hilda Marjorie Ward-Price (1892-?)

She married John Archibald Redvers Buller (military family) in 1923, but divorced on grounds of his infidelity in 1927.  I believe she may have married the artist Hector Whistler in 1956, but not sure about this.

Leonard Stanley Ward-Price (1891-1917)

He attended St Catherines College Cambridge, joined the Royal Horse Guards, was wounded in 1915, seconded to the Royal Flying Corps and was shot down and killed in March 1917).

Is there anyone out there?

Cheers

Offline stitchwitch

• RootsChat Member
  • Creature of impulse with dodgy improbability drive
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 08 March 18 22:08 GMT (UK) »

Strangely although the children seem to be baptised at Crediton ,the family is buried at Sandford.

Ciderdrinker

I think I may have an answer for that; the farm is at a hamlet called Yeoford, which comes under the auspices of Sandford/ Crediton Deanery. The CofE had all sorts of odd arrangements involving satellite churches, chapels of ease, etc. The simplest way to get to the bottom of the structure in the early C19th would be to contact the Diocesan bods, as there's nothing remotely helpful online that I can find (WikiFail!).

Diocesan Offices
The Old Deanery
The Cloisters
Exeter EX1 1HS

Telephone: 01392 272686

The Devon Baptisms index online via Forebears.IO, searching 5 years either side of 1813, gives only one Thomas Ward baptised at Crediton, dates of birth and baptism both 1815. If anyone has a "live" Findmypast account perhaps they could look at the image? It could well be correct as not all entries in the index give a birth year.

From the Devon Burials index, we have a Mary Ward (b1815, d1816) buried Sandford 1816. The twin do you think?

I only looked at this because an old uni friend grew up in Winkleigh and attended the Grammar School in Crediton ... heigh ho  ;)
Powell Barber Dyke Overton
Heywood Crimes Parsonage Hargrave Sheard Wild

Madness is hereditary, you get it from your children!

Offline Arachne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 09 March 18 04:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Whattinger - Joseph Henry Price - what an interesting Ward connection! And here's me thinking this thread was done and dusted :) Yes the old habit of recycling dead children's names as some sort of memorial causes untold confusion. Ann's sister,  the Mary Ward who came out to NZ, was Mary Mark II- the earlier one was Thomas Ward's twin sister and born in 1815.

I can't help with the Ann Ward & Joseph Henry Price link, I'm afraid, but have discovered a little more about Thomas Ward since I made my last post here.

After selling his "Langridge" sheep run in the Awatere, NZ, to the Monro brothers, Tom W moved to another Marlborough sheep run closer to Blenheim called "Valleyfield". its owners, the Monro brothers, had bought a large number of cattle from Tom Ward when they took over "Langridge" but getting into financial strife, used "Valleyfield" as security for the sale, with Tom Ward as mortgagee. "Valleyfield" was likely his base when he was recorded as a stockowner in the Wairau in 1870. By 1872 Tom Ward had a coach & horse transport service operating between Blenheim & Renwick. The Royal Hotel in Blenheim was the starting point and Tom W took over as the hotel's licensee in 1877. The trail runs cold again here, but maybe Tom developed an unfortunate taste for his own wares, as a Thomas Ward was charged more than once in the Blenheim Court for being drunk and disorderly in the town. It's possible that he moved to Golden Bay, which is close to Nelson/Motueka in the top of NZ's South Island. Have found an 1882  burial for a Thomas Ward in Nelson which I'm about to follow up.

Offline Arachne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 19 March 18 19:39 GMT (UK) »
Following up mention in a contemporary newspaper of a death in Nelson, NZ, on 10 January 1882, I have reached the end of Thomas Ward's story. The death certificate I obtained confirms that this was indeed "my" Thomas Ward - born at Crediton, Devonshire, and a son of Thomas Ward, gentlemsn, & Elizabeth (nee Huggins). He died aged 67 in Nelson Hospital on 10 Jan 1882, cause of death aortic disease. He was buried the following day at the Wakapuaka Cemetery in Nelson. Death certificate confirms that he was unmarried and gives his occupation at time of death as "farmer" . Seeing that the notice of his death in the "Colonist" newspaper describes him as being from Golden Bay, have to assume that in his later years he moved from Marlborough to Golden Bay and took up farming there, though have found no actual reference confirming that. Anyway - the mystery of what happened to him is now solved  :)